Low Winter Sun: Cancelled, No Season Two for AMC Series

low winter sun canceledTo no surprise, AMC has cancelled Low Winter Sun after one season. The last episode aired in early October and drew just 630,000 viewers.

Starring Mark Strong and Lennie James, the crime drama performed relatively well at the start of the season, thanks in part to having the final episodes of Breaking Bad as a lead-in. It debuted to 2.51 million viewers and the second episode dropped to 1.47 million.

The numbers kept dwindling downward as the season progressed. Once Breaking Bad left AMC, Low Winter Sun’s ratings really plummeted.

What do you think? Did you like Low Winter Sun? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season?

Elizabeth August 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I loved this show. AMC keeps cancelling good shows. Like the killing for example.
who decides this at AMC?

Jack June 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

Some other network needs to pick this up. They finally have a good show with good actors and they can it? With all the crap out there, there must be a spot for a decent show.

Anonymous June 12, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I too am disappointed that the show was canceled. AMC is just about the only network we watch anymore . The shows seem to actually have some substance.

Anonymous May 25, 2014 at 8:28 pm

that sucks disappointed not to be renewed i really liked this show. theres so many shows that should be cancelled but not this one. thanks for nothing, feels like i was robbed and just now found out

Coby Michaels April 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm

This is nonsense. It was a great show. No idea how it was not brought on for a second season. It has great acting and I anticipated each episode.

cavanary March 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I really was looking forward to the next season. This show does deserve a second chance.

DEBORAH ROGERS March 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm

i think AMC should give another chance. it is a very good series. now if the rating don’t change no season 3.

Deb E. March 12, 2014 at 8:06 pm

The problem with the series is that you don’t get attached personally to any of the characters. When they are all creeps & deceptive… there is really no redemption. It lacked the connection to make you wait all week for the next episode. No one to root for.

Mac February 28, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m disappointed the show won’t be back. It had great characters and a very real location for filming. The actors were outstanding and I’m sure they will do many other things. Detroit is a city in transition and I don’t believe most of the viewers could relate to things like which “Coney Island” restaurant to go to.

Wilf February 19, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Good acting…good story line & somewhat different & believable, without all the mindless special effects…so it had no chance of succeeding.

It is incredible what crap stays on t.v.

Stephie 59 February 19, 2014 at 9:38 am

Well I must admit I am surprised and very disappointed. I was looking forward to Season 2. I really wondered where it would go from there, as, the two leads are two flawed, corrupt cops. Maybe instead of saying it’s a full series, the producers should make these shows as a one season or short mini-series with a full and complete ending, that way fans would get closure and would not be disappointed. Instead of leaving us with cliffhangers with the promise of a season 2 that never comes, do one long season 1 and end it properly, then move on to your next series.

I think these actors should start putting their feet down and state a clause in their contracts that they would only sign on to a show if it is afforded a complete ending, no matter how many seasons. In other words, if it’s not going to get a full season 2, then it must come back for a finale two-parter, thus giving fans closure. It’s unfair to us fans that it ends on a cliffhanger. Look at The Glades, Lying Game and Ravenswood. All three just ended like that. It’s a real shame.

ellen December 6, 2013 at 9:59 pm

It was an amazing show, but the leads were so flawed as human beings, where could it possibly have gone? Think of it as a long mini-series, with great acting. But, it couldn’t really have gone on to a second season. R.I.P.

Paul F. December 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Now if AMC had any real vision, they would purchased COPPER and RIPPER STREET from BBCAmerica/BBC and put these shows on their network. However, this would require that AMC look beyond “reality tv”. I am not sure if there are many people left that recognize exceptional, high quality acting, storyline and character development. At least someone had the vision to bring back THE KILLING, even if it is only for 6 shows. I hope the ratings jump for THE KILLING (in its final season) and AMC is forced to bring it back for a full season. THE KILLING like WALKING DEAD are exceptional programming, but so were COPPER and RIPPER STREET. I am sick of shows like AX Men, Ice Road Truckers, Storage Wars, etc. These type of shows have run their course and when quality programming like, THE KILLING, COPPER and RIPPER STREET are cancelled, you can’t help but wonder who is making the decision to renew or cancel these shows. Yes, I recognize that COPPER and RIPPER STREET were on the BBC Channel.

Linda Hayes December 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I agree with your entire post….I have to wonder, do stations keep these mindless shows on because they are cheaper to produce…They only have to pay the participants minimum “actors” wages in opposed to “real actors” wages…It always breaks down to the money….It truly makes one hesitate to get involved with any new shows, because you become vested in the characters, story line…then you are left hanging ….Copper, Rippers Street, The Killing are all exceptional shows…Ripper Street being canceled is probably a after affect, since it is a BBC show…Copper was the first “original” BBCA show…It just appears to me that all shows are now aimed to mindless idiots not people who value good programming…

AntiTV February 27, 2014 at 11:56 am

Keep in mind that shows only stay on TV if people watch them. The higher the number of viewers a show has, the more commercials (and higher commercial prices) the network sells during that show.

People generally watch garbage. So garbage is what we’re stuck with.

Singing shows, cake shows, logging shows, dancing shows, housewives shows, auction shows, storage shows, fish tank shows; it’s what the legions of mindless idiots want, so that’s what we all get.

Renko December 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

The original British version was a two part story so I always had my doubts it would work stretched to a full season.

Maureen December 6, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Series was well acted but violent. Nothing happy ever happened. But I will miss the characters. If it was redone it might catch more viewers.