Low Winter Sun: Season One Ratings

low winter sun ratingsAMC is hoping that enough Breaking Bad viewers will stick around to make Low Winter Sun a ratings hit as well. Are they right or wrong? Will the new show end up being cancelled or renewed for a second season? Stay tuned.

Low Winter Sun revolves around a straight-laced cop (Mark Strong) and his partner (Lennie James) who murder a fellow officer and try to make it look like a suicide. Complications ensue. The cast also includes James Ransone, Sprague Grayden, Athena Karkanis, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, David Costabile, and Billy Lush.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available — typically on Tuesdays.

Update: AMC has cancelled the show after one season.

What do you think? Do you like the Low Winter Sun TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Antigone October 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Funny thing is, this show is being compared to breaking bad in its last season, not its first. It actually did better its first season than breaking bad did in a lot of ways. Seeing how bb grew, I don’t understand how lws is in danger. Its a great show and I think it’ll grow over time just like bb did. I certainly hope amc gives it a chance.

mhamburger October 26, 2013 at 1:47 am

Renew this show please. It is refreshing to see a new show that shows the gritty perspective of crooked cops. Season finale seems as it was written to provide closure……………. Agnue did not seem like the charachter we have been learning all season long.

mike October 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Give this show a second season ,it is very good. A new type of cop show. what makes it good, it not the same old stuff.

Beth October 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I love the show and so do friends of mine. I think the writing and acting are wonderful! The show is dark, because the subject matter is dark.

No one thought this was going to be a family show.

There are not many shows out there to watch with consistent good writing and acting. I hope it is renewed and that more people will watch it, because I think they would like it as well.

James Lees October 23, 2013 at 5:32 am

I’ll be very sorry if this show goes off the air. It’s great and several of my friends also watch it regularly. Hopefully it will survive…

Paris October 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I liked Low winter sun a lot, although “Frank” is one of the ugliest “main characters” I have ever seen! (Yuk!) I also like “The Killing”. I wish they would both come back, but things that I enjoy rarely do. (I still can’t believe “Breaking Bad” is over!)

Anonymous October 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Renew low winter sun!!

James October 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I think the show is great and would be sad if it gets cancelled. There are a number of people I work with that are also great fans of the show and hoping it does not get cancelled. The overall plot is great. We’re keeping our fingers crossed.

Steve B October 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm

The show was too dark for the majority of people to deal with. I believe to have an ongoing cop show the police have to have some moral authority to do what they do. By establishing the 2 main characters as flawed murderers , the problem in the future would be to accept them as arbiters of justice.
I am sure it wont be renewed but I thought it was well acted and was worth watching.But I cant see any basis in which there can be a show moving forward . In essence it is fitting that the show was filmed in Detroit- a city which committed economic suicide brought by Unions and a corrupt mayor.It was the perfect place to film this film noire which followed its natural course to its own demise. The one difference is that Detroit failed, but in my opinion Low Winter Sun was a unique success albeit a short lived one.

Paris October 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Obviously you never watched Breaking Bad!

Micaih Samuel October 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I think the show is a good show and can potentially be even better given time. But I agree with Bob, the lighting needs to be change on some of the scenes. The story can still be darkened by the content or dialogue w/o changing the ambience of the scene. Also, the story is about Detroit not the suburbs, which means predominately Afro-American. What’s the story about black detective played by Erica Alexander, or Rev. Low Down, we don’t know anything about him other then he likes to BBQ. The Greek and Damon and crew thing could’ve been less, that’s not Detroit. I don’t understand why networks are afraid to have drama series on Afro-Americans. Its possible!!! The Wire, New York Undercover were very successful!!! Although the writing behind The Wire probably had more freedom or less restricted then AMC allows.

In addition, I found out about the show late. Had no clue. Not really an AMC series watcher although they do have great series. I do more HBO, Showtime. But had I known it was a Detroit show I would’ve supported it and watch it from the beginning. It was not advertised in MI, if it was, it wasn’t done well!!

Jon October 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Yes — I’m not sure why Low Winter Sun is so under-appreciated, both by critics and viewers. It’s a terrific show with great acting, cinematography of a city in ruins, and a gripping dramatic plot. True it’s on the dark side, but Breaking Bad was not exactly a walk in the park!

Cindy Romeo September 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I love this show. The acting is awesome and I wish it would be renewed as well as The Killing. But if they renew The Killing Sarah is probably going to prison.

Sean Turner September 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I’m really hoping that Low Winter Sun gets renewed for another season. I love this show, it has great acting and storylines.

xprophet September 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Unfortunately, this well crafted show will be not see the light of day next season. The ratings continue to drop and there is not enough critical “sunshine” to ever get this dark wonder greenlit for a second season.

Bob September 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm

If the show would have more scenes in actual daylight, it would help us see things better. Too many darkened scenes.

Jose September 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Give this show a second season. My wife and I are enjoying this show very much. It’s a different type of show in where it takes chances and let things breathe. A lot of story arcs are coming together and i love how it’s all inter-twining.