Lucky 7: Should the ABC Series Be Cancelled Soon?

Lucky 7 canceled soon?The new season has just begun and it looks like ABC‘s Lucky 7 is already the frontrunner to be the first show cancelled.

Lucky 7 revolves around a a group of employees who work at a service station in Queens, New York. Their lives get turned upside down when they win millions of dollars in the lottery. The drama’s ensemble cast includes Summer Bishil, Lorraine Bruce, Alexandra Castillo, Christine Evangelista, Stephen Louis Grush, Matt Long, Anastasia Phillips, Luis Antonio Ramos, and Isiah Whitlock Jr.

The series debuted last week to a very disappointing 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.43 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot, attracting less than half as many viewers as Chicago Fire.

After just one week, it’s the second-lowest scripted series on ABC, behind only The Neighbors which airs on Friday nights.

There hasn’t been much enthusiasm for the series and, since new shows typically lose 10-20% of their premiere audience in week two, the ratings for tonight’s episode are expected to be even worse.

Hopefully for fans of the show, Lucky 7 will buck the trend and show some signs of growth tonight. If not, I suspect the network will pull it this week or next.

ABC has a history of pulling shows off the air if they don’t perform in the first few weeks. In 2010, they dropped Happy Town and My Generation after two episodes and pulled Romantically Challenged after four.

If the network does pull it, hopefully they’ll at make the remaining episodes available. It seems doubtful though that viewers will get any kind of closure.

What do you think? Are you hoping that Lucky 7 survives or do you think ABC should just cancel it now? If you enjoy it, what do you like about it?

Diane Kunkel October 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I am really dissapointed this was cancelled. I was really getting into it and thought the casting was fantastic.

Cheryl October 7, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I was very disappointed the show was cancelled. I watched the first episode and was impressed with the idea of these people winning the lottery and making their life easier. I wanted to see how it played out. Too bad for the actors and actresses who invested their time into this show! The main male actor, Matt Long, is a talented actor that someone needs to pick up soon! Just my opinion!

Lorraine October 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

I was very disappointed that this show got cancelled. I was hooked after only 2 episodes. They didn’t even give it a chance. They had real good stories about everyday people and they just left us hanging. I still can’t believe it!

Jeanette LaBianca October 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I think the show should stay on. Put it in a new spot. Put it on Sat. Sat. tv stinks not every one goes out.
The show that should be gone is Scandal I think it stinks. I don’t know anyone who watches it.

Dwayne Turner October 5, 2013 at 9:09 am

The show wasn’t bad at all and it had good potential. The day and time slot is the killer even for me. It is shown here the same time that Person of Interest and Chicago Fire. These are two of my favorite shows and I have watched ever episode of both since they began. A different day and time slot and the show would work. This show would work better somewhere in primetime between Friday and Sunday.

ABC should not pull the plug, but realized the slot they put it in will not work as long as these two power house shows are on opposite their show. My opinion but whatever takes its place will not do better.

Have a great day!

Dwayne Turner
Dover DE

Tim October 5, 2013 at 4:31 am

The show isn’t bad! What is bad is the so called ratying system that does not truly reveil what people watch on tv. A handful of people do a survey and it affects the rest of us. Get rid of Neilsen Ratings and use something a little more accurate!

mike lincoln October 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm

don’t cancel. I liked the show

Anonymous October 4, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Great show. Shouldn’t be cancelled. Hasn’t had a chance to build momentum

Helaine October 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I feel that the show has great potential and I enjoyed it very much. Why would ABC not market it properly, hide it after 2 unremarkable comedies and expect it to do well? I say give it a fair shot! Isn’t it everyone’s dream to win the lottery? I am definitely interested to see how each character handles it.

Robyn October 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Well said Helaine.Totally agree with you

Peter October 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

No, it shouldn’t be the first show canceled, it’s way better than The Goldbergs. The ratings are so bad though that it will be. The second episode showed promise for upcoming storylines and the characters seem genuine, but the remaining episodes will probably be put on Hulu.

Diane Kunkel October 16, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I think they should keep it, but I also love the Goldbergs.

Robyn October 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I enjoyed the show very much Considering what the show is up against I feel it did ok.

Steve October 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm

It dropped 38% from week 1, getting a rating of 0.8 in week 2. This show is dead.

Kate Fredericks October 2, 2013 at 12:35 am

Suspecting Lucky 7 was going to be the weak link in all of the network scripted shows, I did not put my time into it. I am learning to pick and choose very carefully the first few weeks of the fall show debuts. Heart’s been broken more than once. And Lucky7 just didn’t have the “hook” the other shows had. I wish it success, but I wouldn’t bet on it!

Billy Martins October 2, 2013 at 12:09 am

I think ABC shall air the remainder of the episodes of Lucky 7 than if they ratings improve they shall back 5 to order of 18 episodes before they make a decision of rather keep or cancelled the series it”s not bad of a show too bad then audience is not tuning in they don”t see what they are missing…

Joseph October 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Okay, let me be perfectly honest here. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it plenty. It’s by no means great, but it was a palatable experience. I intend to watch the second episode on DVR the same way I intend to catch the second episode of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

But here’s the thing, I do not expect this show to fly. From before it even premiered, I could tell a show like this was going to flop, as “Six Degrees” and “My Generation” did. I was not the least bit surprised to see how it performed last week.

I was willing to give this show a chance, because I enjoyed the novelty of watching an entire night of a network’s programming on delay. I enjoyed the show enough, and I think its brief run will be a pleasant ride while it lasts.