Lucky Louie: HBO Series Cancelled But is There Hope?

HBO's Lucky Loiue seriesLucky Louie, the multi-camera comedy series starring and written by Emmy-winning writer-producer Louis C.K., has been cancelled by HBO after one season. Though they’ve had great success with single-camera shows like Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm, Lucky Louie was a more traditionally shot sitcom and utilized multiple cameras in front of a studio audience (a format created by actor-director-producer Desi Arnaz for I Love Lucy). In content, the show however was anything but traditional and has inspired a devote (though small) audience. Described as a bluntly realistic portrayal of family life, the show drew an average of 1.3 million viewers a week, losing about a million viewers from its Entourage lead-in.

There are no hard feelings at HBO. Following the cancellation notice, HBO Entertainment Chief Carolyn Strauss issued a statement saying, “Louis is an incredible talent and a wonderful partner. We loved trying our first multi-camera show with him, and we look forward to other projects with Louis in the future.”

But Louis and fans aren’t prepared to let the show die just yet. On his official website, Louis had initially expressed interest in bringing the Lucky Louie series to another network. He has rethought that and now asks fans to rally together and to contact HBO to encourage them to change their mind and order a second season. Could that work? Hard to say. HBO was recently deluged with similar requests to renew the popular Deadwood series and the result was plans for a pair of two-hour movies that will conclude the western series.

The last original first-season episode of Lucky Louie aired on August 27, 2006. The series is expected to be rerun on HBO starting on October 16, 2006. Will there be a second season? Time will tell. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

celeste February 17, 2010 at 3:09 am

Loved lucky louie bring it back please!!! I ordered full first series!!

ALL FOR LOUIE January 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm

BRING IT BACK!!! I think the problem is not enough people have HBO or something! 3 years later Ive just discovered this show, and OMG bring it back, bring it back!!! Absolutely incredible! Just give them one more shot at a “second pilot” But make it big Advertise is like crazy, in lots enough time!! I urge it to be brought back. Fan freakin tastic show! Good humor, I literally laughed my ass off… Really 2 pounds, just gone…

And Louie’s wife, she is so funny! I envied her for talking to her husband that way, I wish I could do it… But he would probably cry.. he would surely be too afraid to call me a Cunt! hahaha

carl November 4, 2009 at 10:59 am

Best show ever!

chris June 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I wish you would bring Lucky Kouie back! I loved the show, own the series and lots of my friends do also!! PLEASE BRING BACK KUCKY LOUIE!!! That was a real funny show

Danny June 18, 2009 at 10:52 am

HBO needs to realize they are a ship and the ship is bieng held up by the show! and the ship should be soaring buddy! Soaring in a sea of whats next!

lisa February 7, 2009 at 7:14 pm

IT IS SUCH A SHAME THAT THIS SHOW WAS CANCELLED IT WAS SO DAMN FUNNY AND I NEVER EVER HAVE LAUGHED LIKE THAT FROM WATCHING A SITCOM WHAT A WASTE

Laura April 29, 2008 at 5:48 pm

God I miss this show…HBO is a bunch of morons for letting this one go