Lucky Louie: HBO Series Cancelled But is There Hope?

HBO's Lucky Loiue seriesLucky Louie, the multi-camera comedy series starring and written by Emmy-winning writer-producer Louis C.K., has been cancelled by HBO after one season. Though they’ve had great success with single-camera shows like Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm, Lucky Louie was a more traditionally shot sitcom and utilized multiple cameras in front of a studio audience (a format created by actor-director-producer Desi Arnaz for I Love Lucy). In content, the show however was anything but traditional and has inspired a devote (though small) audience. Described as a bluntly realistic portrayal of family life, the show drew an average of 1.3 million viewers a week, losing about a million viewers from its Entourage lead-in.

There are no hard feelings at HBO. Following the cancellation notice, HBO Entertainment Chief Carolyn Strauss issued a statement saying, “Louis is an incredible talent and a wonderful partner. We loved trying our first multi-camera show with him, and we look forward to other projects with Louis in the future.”

But Louis and fans aren’t prepared to let the show die just yet. On his official website, Louis had initially expressed interest in bringing the Lucky Louie series to another network. He has rethought that and now asks fans to rally together and to contact HBO to encourage them to change their mind and order a second season. Could that work? Hard to say. HBO was recently deluged with similar requests to renew the popular Deadwood series and the result was plans for a pair of two-hour movies that will conclude the western series.

The last original first-season episode of Lucky Louie aired on August 27, 2006. The series is expected to be rerun on HBO starting on October 16, 2006. Will there be a second season? Time will tell. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

JAMES April 10, 2008 at 8:14 pm

THIS SEASON IS A CLASSIC

Michael Farnbach March 6, 2008 at 1:52 am

one word….TRAGEDY

how stupid can a network be?

Trey September 11, 2007 at 8:26 pm

HBO will regret doing this. What a dumbass move The show would have become an hbo classoc

Anonymous August 28, 2007 at 3:06 pm

WHAT A WASTE OF A GREAT SHOW…AS A YOUNG COUPLE WITH A 4 YR OLD LITTLE GIRL ME AND MY HUSBAND FOUND THIS EXTREMELY ENTERTAINING. I THINK THIS SHOW WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER WITH MORE ADVERTISING. WE PURCHASED THE FIRST SEASON ON DVD AND ARE TRULY UPSET THAT THE SHOW WON’T BE RETURNING. I WORK FOR A CABLE COMPANY AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHOW ADVERTISED. I WOULD CANCEL MY HBO IF IT WERE NOT COMPLIMENTARY.

Jennifer June 2, 2007 at 8:16 am

I was disapointed when I heard that Louie was comming back….What a shame.

Felix Ramirez April 1, 2007 at 9:30 am

its a shame…the best comedy to come out in years, though at times it was shocking,that was what gave it a unique quality. I bought the season 1 dvd set I suggest HBO rethink its decision and bring it back.
THIS IS REALITY TV AT ITS FINEST!

Christopher & Cheryl March 11, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Hello,

My wife and I looked forward to watching Lucky Louie we thought the show was histerical. I came on the computer to see if I couod find out why we have not seen any new episodes and find out it has been cancelled.

The show was a hit.
HBO shelved a golden ticket.

Lucky

L in FL December 25, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Lucky Louie was a best a brilliant show. Full of raw humor and “sh*t” happens comedy. It’s a tradgedy that they’d cancel this show! Especially when you’ve got series like D Ali G show which is pure CRAP!

Russ December 10, 2006 at 7:41 pm

HBO COMES OUT WITH A GREAT SHOW LIKE “LUCKY LOUIE” AND THEY CANCEL IT? UNBELIEVABLE! ALL THE GUYS HERE AT THE FIREHOUSE LOOKED FORWARD TO SEEING EVERY EPISODE AND EVERYONE WHO SAW IT LOVED IT!
WE CAN’T BELIEVE HBO WOULD CANCEL SUCH A HILLARIOUS SHOW! IT’S LIKE A DARKER/MODERN VERSION OF “THE HONEYMOONERS”!!!. BRING IT BACK!

Anonymous November 30, 2006 at 11:40 am

bring back lucky louie

Jocelyn November 1, 2006 at 10:43 am

we want Louie ,we want Louie. It’s great adult humor. I love all the charactors!!!

Eric October 19, 2006 at 1:07 pm

HBO cancels Lucky Louie, so I cancelled HBO. As a boxing, Sopranos, and Lucky Louie fan, I only had one reason left to stick around, and that was for the fights.

But the desire to deliver a message of my own, was greater than the need to witness the next great uppercut. Oh well.. So long HBO! It’s been nice paying ya! You can expect to get my money again when either Lucky Louie or Sopranos returns to your lineup, whichever comes first. Until then, adios amigos.

duane October 5, 2006 at 7:51 pm

What a shame for such a great show. This show will only get better with time. HBO is the loser here.

Kristina October 4, 2006 at 10:43 am

Nooooooo this sucks Lucky louie rules i will sign anything to get the show back on air.

adam October 2, 2006 at 9:42 pm

please don’t cancel lucky louie 1 season is not enough it is the funniest show i ever seen