Lucky Louie: HBO Series Cancelled But is There Hope?

HBO's Lucky Loiue seriesLucky Louie, the multi-camera comedy series starring and written by Emmy-winning writer-producer Louis C.K., has been cancelled by HBO after one season. Though they’ve had great success with single-camera shows like Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm, Lucky Louie was a more traditionally shot sitcom and utilized multiple cameras in front of a studio audience (a format created by actor-director-producer Desi Arnaz for I Love Lucy). In content, the show however was anything but traditional and has inspired a devote (though small) audience. Described as a bluntly realistic portrayal of family life, the show drew an average of 1.3 million viewers a week, losing about a million viewers from its Entourage lead-in.

There are no hard feelings at HBO. Following the cancellation notice, HBO Entertainment Chief Carolyn Strauss issued a statement saying, “Louis is an incredible talent and a wonderful partner. We loved trying our first multi-camera show with him, and we look forward to other projects with Louis in the future.”

But Louis and fans aren’t prepared to let the show die just yet. On his official website, Louis had initially expressed interest in bringing the Lucky Louie series to another network. He has rethought that and now asks fans to rally together and to contact HBO to encourage them to change their mind and order a second season. Could that work? Hard to say. HBO was recently deluged with similar requests to renew the popular Deadwood series and the result was plans for a pair of two-hour movies that will conclude the western series.

The last original first-season episode of Lucky Louie aired on August 27, 2006. The series is expected to be rerun on HBO starting on October 16, 2006. Will there be a second season? Time will tell. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

22 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

WHAT A WASTE OF A GREAT SHOW…AS A YOUNG COUPLE WITH A 4 YR OLD LITTLE GIRL ME AND MY HUSBAND FOUND THIS EXTREMELY ENTERTAINING. I THINK THIS SHOW WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER WITH MORE ADVERTISING. WE PURCHASED THE FIRST SEASON ON DVD AND ARE TRULY UPSET THAT THE SHOW WON’T BE RETURNING. I WORK FOR A CABLE COMPANY AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHOW ADVERTISED. I WOULD CANCEL MY HBO IF IT WERE NOT COMPLIMENTARY.

2. Felix Ramirez says

its a shame…the best comedy to come out in years, though at times it was shocking,that was what gave it a unique quality. I bought the season 1 dvd set I suggest HBO rethink its decision and bring it back.
    THIS IS REALITY TV AT ITS FINEST!

3. Christopher & Cheryl says

Hello,

My wife and I looked forward to watching Lucky Louie we thought the show was histerical. I came on the computer to see if I couod find out why we have not seen any new episodes and find out it has been cancelled.

The show was a hit.
    HBO shelved a golden ticket.

Lucky

4. L in FL says

Lucky Louie was a best a brilliant show. Full of raw humor and “sh*t” happens comedy. It’s a tradgedy that they’d cancel this show! Especially when you’ve got series like D Ali G show which is pure CRAP!

5. Russ says

HBO COMES OUT WITH A GREAT SHOW LIKE “LUCKY LOUIE” AND THEY CANCEL IT? UNBELIEVABLE! ALL THE GUYS HERE AT THE FIREHOUSE LOOKED FORWARD TO SEEING EVERY EPISODE AND EVERYONE WHO SAW IT LOVED IT!
    WE CAN’T BELIEVE HBO WOULD CANCEL SUCH A HILLARIOUS SHOW! IT’S LIKE A DARKER/MODERN VERSION OF “THE HONEYMOONERS”!!!. BRING IT BACK!

6. Eric says

HBO cancels Lucky Louie, so I cancelled HBO. As a boxing, Sopranos, and Lucky Louie fan, I only had one reason left to stick around, and that was for the fights.

But the desire to deliver a message of my own, was greater than the need to witness the next great uppercut. Oh well.. So long HBO! It’s been nice paying ya! You can expect to get my money again when either Lucky Louie or Sopranos returns to your lineup, whichever comes first. Until then, adios amigos.