Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Lori April 23, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I am shocked that magic city has been cancelled, it’s better then any show on tv or even Netflix for really putting you right there. It was almost as though you were there, sitting in the lobby or the bar or even, at the pool with all these people. I’ve been waiting for the new season to start and just found out today that it won’t be coming back. I don’t know one other show that actually takes you on a vacation. It may be an expensive show, but had it been on HBO, Show time , or Netflix it would have had an even bigger audience, and would have been worth every penny spent to make it! Thank you to all the people who made the show such an exciting entertaining experiance, for us all. I do hope that it will be picked up by another channel…it has winner all over it!!

Richard W. April 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Stupid puilling this show! It was the best. Maybe ahead of it’s time.
We miss it!

Caron April 20, 2014 at 8:46 pm

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!! One of the best shows on Starz. Glamour, Vintage cars and clothes. Classy adult show!!! Please don’t cancel Magic City!!!!

Cyndie April 19, 2014 at 12:52 am

Hollywood finally produces a show with a great cast, a story line full of scandals, murder and sex, but a show with class, then cancels it after 2 seasons. Might as well cancel my Starz subscription cause that was the only thing the channel had worth watching.

ann marie April 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

The best show ever! Had glamour, intrigue, gread story line. The actors were fantastic. Please bring it back. It is the only good thing on television.

Karen White April 13, 2014 at 4:48 am

I ONLY GOT STARZ FOR THIS SHOW SO I’LL CANCEL NOW. IT IS BRILLIANT AND EDGY, ONE OF THE FEW ADULT SHOWS THAT HAS GREAT CHARACTERS AND THE PLOT SO REPRESENTED MID CENTURY MIAMI. I’M SO SAD THAT THE COST WAS NOT WORTH THE PRESTIGE TO THE CHANNEL OF HAVING A REAL SHOW. I DO NOT THINK THE END OF SEASON 2 WAS SUFFICIENT SO I DISAGREE WITH THE CEO.
LOVED IT BUT WILL CANCEL THE CHANNEL. I ONLY KEPT IT WAITING FOR SEASON 3.

jorge bravo April 12, 2014 at 11:43 am

This is an excellent show around a time when Miami was a different place.
It has Mystery,Crime,Sex, Beautiful women…
It had me from the first episode.(BRING IT BACK )!!!!!!!!!!!

jane Phillips April 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm

This show was amazing! One of the best on TV! Sad to see it end!

Lindianna April 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Magic city was my favorite show bring it back please!

Christine April 10, 2014 at 1:53 pm

You are KILLING ME!! This show was AMAZING and producers owe us fans AT THE VERY LEAST a short final season to wrap up the tantalizing story lines you sucked us all into!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!