Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

diana October 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I loved Magic City and was heartbroken Starz has cancelled it, along with Boss. Now there is no reason for me to have Starz.

Donna October 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

I just finished season 1&2. I thought it was great!! Why does it seem like the period 50-60 shows lately just don’t seem to make it. I love them. Please reconsider or at least have a GOOD finale!!!!

Dee Beechel October 16, 2014 at 4:19 am

I loved Magic City it was well done with Beautiful people, grace, charm & lots of action! Please bring it back! It had style & was very entertaining. What a loss!

vegas1354 October 13, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Thus show was beautifully shot and well written. The actors were amazing. Please reconsider putting it back on television.

Greer October 12, 2014 at 2:56 am

I just finished watching Seasons 1 and 2, then discovered that there will be no season 3!!! Oh, how I wish I would’ve known this. I would not have bothered to watch it at all!! Can’t you please reconsider? Surely you made money from it–I have no doubt about that!!

Anonymous October 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Loved that show!! Damn!

Bernie October 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

What a pity there’s no third season planned. And it seems I’m not alone thinking so.

Theresa Smith October 10, 2014 at 10:40 pm

What about a 3 hour movie tying up the loose ends? Obama should make presidential decree that they do another season bring everything to a conclusion.

Frank Romo October 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Don’t ask him or his cronies, they have all kinds of loose ends, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bengazi, ISIS, Syria, Ebola, Economy, you name it there’s no end in sight…

Anonymous October 10, 2014 at 5:27 am

Really want a 3rd season…. That show was awesome…. And I don’t say that about many shows….

Heather October 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

What was the true reason for canceling this most awesome series? & How can we bring it back?

Theresa Smith October 9, 2014 at 1:12 am

Someone needs to be kicked in the balls and one of the networks needs to grow some and pick this show up. Now I have to tell my friend that we are not getting a season 3 of Magic City. Its up in the air and has no real ending. Starz sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay October 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Turns out, Magic City was too good for Starz. All the crap that’s on TV nowadays, sex, violence, dark dark plots and characters, crazy 20-something-old with no sense of self, confused about their lives and sexuality, vampires who love humans, humans who love vampires, shall I go on? All that crap that gets extended season after season after season. Then Magic City comes on, beautiful people, gorgeous clothes, incredible scenery and a very, very smart plot. Yes, too good for TV! Let’s cancel it and let’s show people all that other crap that will depress them and give them nightmares right before bedtime. Thanks Starz! You did it again!

Patty Wieczorek October 6, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Starz has a habit of cancelling shows. The exceed budgetary constraints in the hopes of attaining a larger audience. Their shows are very good. I really enjoyed Magic City, it was a descent and interesting show. So dissapointing. And yes, was actually hoping for a third season!

Stuart October 4, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Hi really enjoyed the show shame it was cancelled when there’s so much rubbish on TV.

Charles Bell October 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

I certainly do miss the TV Show “Magic City”. It had everything i.e. family, drama, love, sex, violence, diversity, etc. It is too bad the show could not continue.

Pete September 30, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Just got turned on to this show. It was great. Better then most of the series on HBO, SHOW TIME & REGULAR TV. I hope they bring back or have another network pick it up.