Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Ryan March 2, 2015 at 3:02 am

What the hell? This gets put on Netflix. You get me hooked. Then cancel a great show? Encore!!!

susannah s March 2, 2015 at 2:05 am

Best show on TV hand down. Devastated that this show didn’t get another season to build its already growing audience. Given time, this would of had a massive following like Sopranos. Poor decision considering the new fanfare brought on by Netflix. Someone should rethink this one.

Lauren February 28, 2015 at 10:47 am

This was a wonderful and smart period piece with a fabulous cast. I am very sad the decision was made to cancel it. Do the right thing and change your mind and give us season 3!!

soli February 26, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Starz always cancel the good shows without a real ending

Anonymous February 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Very sad it ended would love another season or two maybe Netflix could do it like they did for ” the killing”

James February 26, 2015 at 4:59 am

I am completely obsessed with “Magic City”. It is now two years later and I wonder why haven’t I heard from this show before. It definitely must have been lack of promotion and ads. I live in New York City, Advertising central, and not once did I see a poster of this show. It is absurd to not continue this show, because so much viewers love suspense, drama, action, mobs, MIAMI! I mean why would you cancel a nearly perfect show? It was just getting great and for a show to keep you mesmerized and keep you wanting more for two full seasons, and it feels like its just getting started is a Bullseye in my opinion. Well, thanks to Netflix for recommending it to me. Hope it comes back for a third season I will definitely be watching!

Val February 25, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I know so many people who are devastated that this show was cancelled. Many subscribed just for this series. Each actor was superb. There was not one who didn’t give all they had to their character. The sets, of course, were expensive; they knew this going in. That is a lame excuse. It takes a few seasons for a complex series like Magic City to grasp a huge audience, and it was doing just that, but not enough time was given to these fine actors and writers, and that’s a damn shame. I wish a network with some backbone would pick it up.

Anonymous February 22, 2015 at 11:33 am

Love this series!! Just watched season one. Had no idea it existed. My family has been in miami / miami beach since the 30’s so it was fun for me to watch what I had heard through stories and then relate to what is going on today. Same city / same struggles / same corruption / just different players. The casting is also spot on. Keep it going if you can. There’s a life time of material with the boom / bust cycles in the Magic city!!!

Raquel Bermeo February 21, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Amazing show!! Please do a third season. Please find the funding!! Amazing cast and gorgeous set. Worth a third season!!!!

Zelda February 17, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Now that all the premium channels are leaving their “cable stables” and running solo

as new streaming selections…Oil up your Roku or whatever and see what

they’ve been saving for their new independent subscription offerings…

If they’re successful enough a continuation of MAGIC CITY may well be on their

playbill.. I hope so…

Cynthia Meankins February 17, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I am really hurt about Magic City being cancelled!!! I didn’t know it was!! You see i amm a little behind. I was not able to get cable for a long while until now. And i looked,and pre- recorded the last 4 episodes and they were riveting!!! Ohh!!! How i love me some Ike!!! And Stevie!!! And i love the vintage attire on the women and of the colors and the hir styles!!! I was born 1959 so the styles of dresing were on it!!! I will really miss Magic city,but i will purchase bothe seasons so that i will treasuly watch over,and over,and keep from thence forward!!! I love Ike,and Stevie!!! They got Swagg!!!

Anonymous February 16, 2015 at 7:54 pm

It should be at least one more season. There wasn’t the ending.
Please finish the story