Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Anonymous July 29, 2014 at 11:34 am

I just order stars so I could each season 3 not happy, i’m going to cance starz.l

hugo July 29, 2014 at 7:18 am

Loved that show. Filled the whole in my life that Sopranos created when that finished. Always wished a company like HBO would by the rights

Deborah austin July 27, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Please bring back magic city love the show!

Mitzi Sanderson July 27, 2014 at 10:37 am

I think they should bring back Magic City and put it on 2Netflix. I’m sure it would do very well there.

mike tomlin July 27, 2014 at 4:11 am

Magic City was my favorite show. Mad Men was my favorite until I got hooked on this series. A year later after the cancelation and I still think about this show and where the story might have gone. With all the garbage served up on TV, this was intelligent and classy. With the demand for mindless junk, no wonder it couldn’t survive.

Steve July 26, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Starz keep canceling good shows. Boss was the best show on TV, ever. Now they cancel Magic City. I don’t get it. I think they need a new person in charge of what stays and what goes, because whoever is doing it now has poor judgement or just bad taste. Come on Starz, what is wrong with you.

Disappointed July 28, 2014 at 7:16 am

I agree 100%. Boss was a fantastic show. Magic city was also a great show. My credibility in Starz is fading like their shows.

Daisy July 25, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I loved magic city. I don’t even watch starz anymore since the cancellation of magic.city.

felicia July 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Im in complete shock, Magic city was a great show with great actor and a great story line, The CEO made a poor decision in canceling this show… Fuck The CEO!

Nanette Brings July 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

Please please bring back magic city , the show was very great love to see another season

Brenda July 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Magic City was great, Kenny and I loved all the fantastic fifties cars.So sorry to know it has been cancelled

CheckChange July 21, 2014 at 7:54 am

This will be the last subscription of Starz for us. Magic City was the only reason why we paid. There is nothing but garbage on Starz, HBO (except Boardwalk Empire which is running it’s last season anyway) , Cinemax and TMC. Thanks Comcast for the ugly bundle…. Where is the leadership in producing anymore?

Rick Nelson July 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I am very sad to see Magic City cancelled. It was my favorite series ever. I would like to see it brought back. I tried watching Black Sails and could neither get or stay interested. Boring. Cancelling Magic City was a poor decision for us customers.

Rick Nelson July 20, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Magic City was my favorite series. How sad that it was canceled. Poor decision. I tried to watch Black Sails and could neither get nor stay interested. Boring! Please find a way to bring back Magic City.