Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Anonymous May 2, 2015 at 3:15 am

I enjoyed this series very much.
I haven’t watched anything on Stars since Magic City is no longer playing. Please return this series!!!
Thank you.

john April 30, 2015 at 2:38 am

Wish they would change there minds, it was somwhat original like Braking Bad.

aly April 30, 2015 at 1:21 am

Yes seasons 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.. I would have watched. It was great, but now I get to watch shows like Gunsmoke reruns. LOL

Cynthia April 21, 2015 at 2:19 am

Magic City was expensive??? And Black Sails wasn’t? At least Magic City was really good!!!
I tried to watch black sails and davinci’s deamons on many occasions but they’re not good shows at all!!! Magic City will be sorely missed. And I hope another network is smart enough to pick it up. I’d change my cable line up for that!!!

Kay Hasting April 21, 2015 at 7:43 am

I’d change my cable for Magic City too. I quit watching Outlander because if Starz would cancel a show like Magic City they would probably cancel Outlander too, so I decided not to get interested in anything Starz has to offer.

Sonya April 21, 2015 at 11:55 am

And that’s the sad reality. I stopped watching network television because I got tired of new shows, good shows with great writing, great acting and story lines, get cancelled after just one season or a few episodes. I would be here writing all day if I listed all of the shows that were unceremoniously cancelled within the last 5-10 years by network television! A small few were lucky enough to get picked up by a cable network, but most were simply canned.
95% of the shows I watch are all on cable. Now you have networks like Starz who are doing the same thing with cancelling good shows in favor of crap.

My husband and I LOVED the show Boss with Kelsey Grammer. Once again it was on the Starz network. It was smart, it was gritty, it was dark, and it was very well written and had a great cast of wonderful actors. It lasted 3 seasons and they cancelled right when it was truly getting good. No closure, no nothing. Starz clearly has a pattern and I can’t allow myself to get attached to anything they put out because I know it’ll be cancelled within 3 seasons if not sooner. And don’t get me started on the horrible promotion of their shows! Boss wasn’t properly promoted AT ALL, nor was Magic City. Then they wonder why they don’t have the viewers they want??

Anonymous April 20, 2015 at 9:09 am

Should be brought back. We never missed it.

Sonya April 20, 2015 at 11:40 am

This show has now been off the air for over two years now and I want to know where’s the movie? Where’s the closure? Did they simply forget about it and kicked us fans to the curb who faithfully watched and enjoyed the show? What a rotten way to leave things! We (the fans) deserve better than this. They should have known going in the cost of making a time period drama. To yank it with no closure just SUCKS. The fans are always the ones who get screwed in the end. ALWAYS. I’m so tired of investing time into shows (well written, great cast, great story lines) only to have them axed in favor of SMUT TV! I am an extremely disappointed fan. =/

Anonymous April 16, 2015 at 8:57 am