Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Valerie January 28, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Bring this show back. It is amazing. I love the characters, the photography, the intrigue and most definitely Jeffery Dean Morgan (Ike). Please make season 3. It’s worth the wait.

Robert senecal January 28, 2015 at 10:53 am

Would love to see more

jonathan wiley January 28, 2015 at 3:28 am

Magic City to me was the best thing on Television that cable had to offer. certainly the best thing on Starz network. It had it all,great acting,gorgeous women,great sets,costumes,cars characters,music,camera work and plots.why can’t such greatness get the recognition it deserves? why didn’t it get the PR like the Sopranos? most people and friends I talked to about the show never even heard of it much less saw it.Madmen is an expensive show to shoot but they managed six seasons but look at how well it was promoted.big mistake Starz, should of picked a different show to pull the plug on.time to bail on my viewership

buck January 25, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Yea.. GREAT IDEA.. YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK TO MAKING CRAPPY SHOWS NO ONE LIKES..

Kay Hasting January 23, 2015 at 1:30 am

Unbelievable to find a show like this then for it to be canceled. Yes, it was expensive to make, but it was mesmerizing, shows like this don’t come along every day.

frank cannonito January 20, 2015 at 1:18 am

What a lame explanation. The show ended with a large number of loose ends all of which were setting up the next season. Hardly a soft landing for the cancellation. I would have liked another season, but I understand the reason for cancellation.

carla January 19, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I always think about this show. I was hoping to find out some good news…. that is was coming back or maybe it might come back…. no such luck. Damn it was good!

Anonymous January 18, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I was waiting for the third season too!cant believe it was cancelled. Loved all the characters in it.

Connie January 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm

We love this series!! Really loved getting to know the characters & love the story! The sets are beautiful & appealing to the eye to watch! Please don’t ruin it with Bruce Willis!! Love, love, Jeffery Dean Morgan!!

john January 9, 2015 at 9:59 am

I don’t get it!! A great story, set during an epic period in American culture and a fantastic cast. You’d think that Starz would have given the show it’s proper airing time slot to attract more followers. I bet HBO would have given Magic City a “Boardwalk Empire” type platform to thrive. A shame that another really, really good show cancelled.