Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Pat Wilson December 21, 2014 at 2:29 pm

We thoroughly enjoyed and were glued to the tv, watching Seasons 1 and 2 in this wonderful series. With all the money obviously spent on sets, etc. it seems a shame that there won’t be a season 3. We are really upset about this. I hope enough fans will complain and the ceo will have a change of heart. Big Mistake!!!!!

Avid Fan December 14, 2014 at 3:20 am

Cancellation of a show is NOT the end of the world! Although, the cancellation of “Magic City” is a huge MISTAKE! I learned of the cancellation, when I was searching to see when it would air. Unfortunately, I learned about Starz not producing another season. The only reason, that I signed on to Starz had everything to with “BOSS”‘, then I became a big fan of “Magic City” . . . The acting was superb, not to mention the quality of the actors. Now, that both shows are cancelled, I will cancel STARZ . . . I agree, with the other comments made on this thread, that some network, will pick this show up! Please!

Anonymous December 2, 2014 at 4:38 am

I just found out the show has been cancelled. I was waiting patiently for season 3 before I got curious today. I can’t believe it. This was the best show on television.

blake November 19, 2014 at 1:34 am

This show was unique and splendid. Disappointed with starz.

Magic fan November 16, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Sorry to see the show end

Vanessa November 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I love this show, it was classy with hints of sexy, it was amusing and intense and i wish they would bring it back ! i love this show and till this day i watch the 2 seasons over and over. If i had the money, id pay to bring back this show !

Anonymous November 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Cant believe they didnt do a third season. This was an excellent show!

Eddie November 3, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Man I wish they. Had made another season HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO US? It was a awesome show I can’t beleive they canceled it! Please do one last season

Kevin D. McAfee November 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I really liked this show too but I understand wish they would have made season 3 loved the era of the show cars, fashion and decor. Will miss Magic City

Jerry B October 29, 2014 at 8:22 pm

There is no more art just money if it cost to much they simply won’t make it. Soon enought show like this will show up in China !!! No more US made with pride just money said said said

Patricia October 26, 2014 at 5:48 am

I was wondering if Magic City was coming on soon and had no idea it had been cancelled ..Shame on you Starx and Cancelled The Boss too…I think that is so very sad…Both shows were excellent…Magic City made me want to live in that time period….The Boss kept it real about the world of politics and dirty people…I shall miss them both so very much…I hope someone else picks them up and then I can leave your station alone basically because you take away the good stuff….