Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

Debbie September 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm

My husband & I really enjoyed the show, hated to see it had been canceled. It was the only reason we had Starz.

Laurie September 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Since Starz cancelled Magic City many people dont want to get caught up in another series they offer this season only to have that canceled when they decide the budget is too expensive. Starz has lost a ton of subscriptions including mine….

Monaca September 15, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Disappointed about Magic City not returning for 2014.I had just bought the second second, because I don’t subscribe to Starz,any longer.I think its more Starz, Magic City was a great series, it was just on the wrong channel.

Frank Romo September 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Great show, crying shame it was cancelled, why start something and then let it go? I’m really pissed that the “Big Shots” are DOLTS…

JOYCE August 30, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I LOVED THE SHOW
HATE TO SEE IT CANCELED

deb August 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I loved this series was patiently waiting the return for summer lineup. I hope someone else picks it up was a great story line

Joyce holloway August 26, 2014 at 8:26 am

I never missed an episode! I feel cheated having invested so much time…maybe I’ll just read a few good books this winter instead of watching your new line up.

Sign Me,
Disenchanted

lynda candelora August 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

yes i liked magic city very much and was waiting for it to come back starz kept advertizing for it all year and then you go and cancell it bring it back it was great

Maurice August 19, 2014 at 1:13 am

How about another network pick it up? Great show hate to see it end.

mike August 19, 2014 at 12:45 am

I work in retail for a major company. Our first priority is customer satisfaction. I don’t understand a company that has a product to sell to it’s customers and doesn’t care how many they piss off with their decisions. Starz chooses to ignore us and hopes we will get hooked on something else they offer. Magic City was clearly the best show in their line up. We the viewers, invest our time and money for a program that is abruptly taken away with an unfinished storyline. There is a balance of art and finance in a production– just once, couldn’t the art side win?

Kevin August 18, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I can’t believe that another STARZ original show has been cancelled after being advertised that they would in fact be coming back. I truly enjoyed this particular series and hoped for the return of it. This is why I hat e to watch premium channels as they do not really care about their customers. I pay a monthly fee for this service only to be lead by the nose that a GREAT show would not be returning after being told it would be returning this month. This some BS!! I am pissed 4real. Cinemax will be my premium channel of choice now.