Magic City: Starz CEO Explains Cancellation

Magic City cancelationWhile fans of Magic City are understandably upset by the show’s cancellation, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht recently explained that the decision wasn’t a difficult one when it came to finances.

At the TCA press tour, he said, “It was a fine show but it was extremely expensive. It had decent audience but distributors weren’t interested in co-marketing it with us, and we felt season two had a pretty reasonable and satisfying landing spot.”

Magic City revolves around the world of Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel in 1959. The TV series stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Olga Kurylenko, and Danny Huston, with Steven Strait, Christian Cooke, Jessica Marais, Yul Vazquez, Dominik Garcia-Lorido, Kelly Lynch, and Elena Satine.

What do you think? Did you like Magic City? Would you liked to have seen a third season?

300 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Alec says

“Would you liked to have seen a second season?”

Third season. And yes. I would have loved to see one. It was one of my favorite series. Finally something with class and they cancel it after two seasons.

It’s a disgrace.

2. j.alexander says

once again, a damn fine show the wife and i really enjoy and of course the mogul idiot in charge does an assinine cancel. i understand the reasons but could have cut costs or cancelled other shows regardless of distribution bs. icancelled my starz scrip today. i say youre just eat up with the dumbass!!

3. Laurie Russell says

So sad to see this show has been cancelled. Will be cancelling Starz now as this is about the only show I watched on Starz. The actors are all terrific. I was really looking forward to the next season. I think it is a big mistake as everyone I know who watched it loved it.

4. Laurie Russell says

yeah now we will be cancelling Starz also. I am so sad this has not been renewed. Was really looking forward to the new season. It was excellent as the actors were all terrific. Dumb cancellation….

• PHYLLIS DISTASIO says

I NOW HAVE NO REASON TO CONTINUE STARZ. I KEPT IT UNTIL I LEARNED THAT YOU CANCELLED THE BEST SHOW ON TV. I’VE NOW CANCELLED & WILL NOT RENEW.

5. Sonya J says

Am I missing something here? Didn’t they know that this would be costly before they even took this project on? Don’t most people who are in the television and movie business know that any time to you decide to do a time period piece that it’s going to cost money??

Just say “We got tired of investing all this money in a show that had sub par ratings.” Magic City was a wonderful, wonderful show unfortunately it was a costly show. All this tells me is someone didn’t do all the math before taking on this project.

• Siobhan S says

Bloody well said Sonya J!!
      Being a UK fan, I was gutted I could only see via streaming/downloads, ESPECIALLY when Starz themselves tweeted about their plans of bring it across the pond, with no delivery on that word… :'(