Major Crimes

Major Crimes TV series on TNTNetwork: TNT
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: August 13, 2012 – present
Series status: Has not been cancelled

Performers include: Mary McDonnell, G. W. Bailey, Tony Denison, Michael Paul Chan, Raymond Cruz, Phillip P. Keene, Robert Gossett, Jonathan del Arco, Kearran Giovanni, Jon Tenney, and Graham Patrick Martin.

current TV show

TV show description:
This TV series is a continuation of The Closer, following the departure of Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson (Kyra Sedgwick).

The detectives in the Los Angeles Police Department’s Major Crimes division are still reeling from Brenda’s leaving and this creates a tough transition for the newly appointed head of the division, Captain Sharon Raydor (Mary McDonnell).

Unlike their previous chief, Raydor is determined to lead the department with a rule-based, more team-oriented approach, sharing the credit with the people with whom she works. Raydor’s hardest job, however, will be gaining the full trust and confidence of her detectives, who aren’t quick to forget her long history of internal investigations targeting them and their previous boss.

Especially troublesome is Lieutenant Louie Provenza (G. W. Bailey), the squad’s resident old-timer. He still has a few tricks up his sleeve and has a difficult time taking orders from someone he doesn’t think knows as much as he does. He also likes to bend the rules to avoid doing too much work. Lieutenant Andy Flynn (Tony Denison) is passionate about his job but sometimes lets his friendship with Provenza get in the way. He always has a wise crack to keep the squad lifted, even in stressful situations.

Lieutenant Mike Tao (Michael Paul Chan) is the go-to guy for anything technology related. He thrives on using his expertise to crack cases; the more complex, the better. But he also tends to go overboard on details when explaining things. Detective Julio Sanchez (Raymond Cruz) is knowledgeable about the complications of gang warfare in Los Angeles and can be a bit intimidating to a suspect. Even when his emotions run high, Sanchez knows how far he can push without crossing the line.

A Civilian Surveillance Coordinator, Buzz Watson (Phillip P. Keene) is the electronics room technician. In addition, he is the videographer of all crime-scene documentation for the Major Crimes Division. The outdated equipment provided by the LAPD causes Buzz constant frustration, but his instruments often prove useful in cracking a case.

Assistant Chief of Operations Russell Taylor (Robert Gossett) helps the Major Crimes Division on numerous cases. He frequently acts as a press liaison and has proven to be a strong ally for closing cases. Doctor Morales (Jonathan del Arco) is the Medical Examiner for the LA County Coroner’s office.

FBI Special Agent Fritz Howard (Jon Tenney) is Brenda’s husband and works as the main liaison between Major Crimes and the FBI.

A newcomer to the Major Crimes division, Detective Amy Sykes (Kearran Giovanni) is an ambitious undercover police detective and military veteran who served in Afghanistan. She struggles to prove herself and be taken seriously.

Rusty Beck (Graham Patrick Martin) is a homeless juvenile who ends up living with Raydor after becoming a witness in an important homicide case. His troubled past shapes his unruly character and that doesn’t make Raydor’s transition any easier.
space

Series Finale

Episode TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

space

What do you think? Do you like this spin-off TV series? Is it as good as The Closer?

David L August 19, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Great show only problem the season is too short, need more episodes

Anonymous September 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I agree. Wish the season was longer

linda August 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm

………even better yet, have rusty kill raydor and commit suicide in the season end. just saying…….

linda August 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm

yes I miss “The Closer” but I wanted to give “Major
Crimes” a chance…..Raydor is too stiff, too opposite Brenda for my liking, but I could deal with that with Provenza and the rest being so good at what they do. But one thing I can’t stand is where the story line of Rusty is going. This character is just boring and so doesn’t belong. Who would let a high school students see some of the pictures he sees. Why does he hang out there so often? She is not a good foster parent for letting him be around all that stuff. The only thing I think you can do is have the character commit suicide, or get killed off. that would be a good reason for the Raydor character to get fired and you could bring someone more like Brenda back. just my opinion…..and don’t drag this story line out anylonger.

Jeanette August 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

“Rusty” has to be the son of one of the producers or another higher up. We fast forward through any portion of him. He can’t act and has nothing to add to the show.

Howard July 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I like it better than when Ms. Sedgewick was on the show. It was good in the beginning but, for me, it got boring. To much family, kids, extraneous. If something better comes on at the same time, I’ll switch.

Janice Seals July 7, 2013 at 1:36 am

I was so disappointed in the Major Crimes and I believe it is totally the absence of Sedgwick. Anything else could be worked with, but she grew on us so much that we’ve decided not to watch any more of Major Crimes. It’s lackluster and boring.

pachingko July 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I like this show. I just started to watch it this season. I never watched the closer.
I have looking for a crime drama show since they cancelled 2 of my shows. One know as “Leverage” and the other was “Flashpoint”.
I like the way the charactors all work together. Their methods are good when they
interogate a suspect.

CB June 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hate the show. Cpt. Raydor needs to get a personality. The storyline with the
kid must end……it’s boring. Provenza should burn his hat…..it’s an embarrassment
to all police departments. The June 24th episode was horrible. If this is the
direction of the show, it deserves to meet its demise. CB

JB June 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Loved the Closer. really disliked capt rador. Brenda got to be more unlikable as the series went on but I could overlook it…
BUT NOW>>>>
LOVE major Crimes even more than the Closer. Capt Raydor has more heart and character than Brenda Leigh. LOVE Capt Raydor

All of the actors are GREAT. hope Major Crimes lasts at least as long as The Closer

Renee June 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I loved Closer very much… still watch on dvd. I also enjoyed Major Crimes. Miss Kyra Sedgewick a lot, but think Capt Radar has done a good job!! Also, David was annoying, so happy he left too! Rest of them love, so show can continue !!!

96ironsled May 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I don’t care for captain raider nor the person that plays the part. You should cut the ties with the previous program and jusr create a different series to stand on it’s own.
As far as the closer series it was in a class of it’s own and your coatail rider is nowhere close. I am very disappointed and won’t be watching any longer.

Regina Santora May 10, 2013 at 10:08 am

I loved watching ‘The Closer’.
The series where Mary McDonald took over were funny and worth watching.

Since I totally enjoyed every character in the Closer, I would definitely watch ‘Major Crimes’ in a new season.

I am really hoping there will be a new series of ‘Major Crimes’ with same cast in 2013.
Please let me know.

Laura May 10, 2013 at 3:30 am

At first I didn’t think I would like it but I have been watching the reruns and find myself liking it better than the Closer. I would have been very disappointed if it had been cancelled.

Wahine April 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Hey, whats going on? I just loved The Closer and have been looking forward to Major Crimes but, I still cann’t find it. I really hope they didn’t cancell it.

PATRICIA HELLINGER April 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Most definitely the new show major crimes is very heart warming love it love it.

Carol April 15, 2013 at 11:38 am

To soon to tell and depend on how well the writers do their job. The actors are great…