Malibu Country, Last Man Standing: ABC Orders Three More Scripts

The alphabet network has ordered three additional scripts each for Malibu Country and Last Man Standing. The sitcoms premiered 10 days ago and performed very well for Friday night shows.

Starring Reba McEntire, Malibu Country drew a 2.3 rating with 9.1 million viewers. This past Friday’s episode dropped 26% in the demo, to a 1.7 rating, but that’s still quite respectable for the night.

Starring Tim Allen, the second season of Last Man Standing kicked off to a 2.0 rating with 8.07 million viewers. Last Friday dropped as well, registering a 1.6 in the demo — a decline of 20%. Again, that’s still a solid number for a Friday — and, aside from the season premiere, the show’s best performance since February.

ABC is obviously being cautiously optimistic about the sitcoms’ futures but if they stay at last Friday’s levels it seems likely they’ll both get full season pickups. It’s worth noting that both are outperforming Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23 on Tuesday nights.

What do you think? Do you like Malibu Country and Last Man Standing? Which is better? Do you think they’ll get full season orders?

Hedy Ryder April 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I was so disappointed when Last Man Standing and Malibu Country didn’t come on tonight. Hope you keep both, we need good comedy on TV.

Louis Whitford March 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Like Last Man Standing, don’t like when they get into politics. Don’t Cancel.
As for Malibu Reba could do better, I hope this is canceled.

Anonymous February 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Love last man standing, renew please

The sciencelady January 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I really like Tim Allen and Nancy Travis. The show is great, but I don’t like the new cast members. Whenever a show gets political, especially the green situaions and pro gun, it becomes less likeable to me.
The younger sister fits in fine. The middle–her role is not condusive to the type of family.
Her role needs to step back. Her lines are funny and she delivers them well, but it doesn’t go along with their type of family.
Hope this show is not cancelled.

Darcie December 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I love both of these comedies. I have not enjoyed a good comedy night in many years. Reba McEntire is very talented, and it is fabulous to see Lily Tomlin on screen again!

Wendy November 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Used to enjoy last man standing but re-cast of oldest daughter was poor choice . Absolutely HATE Malibu Country. Note to self – 8:30 Friday night, good time to complete chores & wait for Shark Tank @ 9:00!!!

Anonymous November 23, 2012 at 1:13 am

I so agree with you on the re-cast of eldest daughter. This new one sucks. I record the show and fast forward any scenes with her in them.

Jake November 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Loving “Malibu Country” so far!

Grandizer November 13, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Well I can honestly say that I do not like the new castmembers on the show. The Dad, the new daughter and the aged son…
And the middle daughter? Wow, did they think they needed to counteract the above by making her a SLUT???
The conversation she had with her baby sister about how much of a slut she was was unbelievable to me.
Hector, Tim, Nancy, Boyd and the youngest daughter are the show winners for me. The middle daughter if she isn’t made out to be a slut is fine.

The show has promise, dump the losers above and it can and will rise again.

SD November 13, 2012 at 9:59 am

Last man standing is okay mostly because of Nancy Travis and Tim Allen. Malibu is not worth watching and I am very surprised at the numbers watching it.

Maggie November 13, 2012 at 5:19 am

I really like Tim Allen, but I don’t care for this show. It may be the actresses they chose to play his daughters (both new and old). They just don’t seem to gel.

The Bluelady November 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I have to pick one over the over—- can’t do it, BUT, if I did I would take Last Man first with Malibu at 1.5. Hard choice to make. They are both great!.