MasterChef: Another Gordon Ramsay TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

MasterChefLast night, Gordon Ramsay debuted in yet another culinary reality series. Will FOX’s MasterChef be as successful as Kitchen Nightmares and Hell’s Kitchen or will it be quickly cancelled?

MasterChef is a competition that pits a group of talented home cooks against one another in a series of challenges and elimination rounds. They are judged by Chef Ramsay, restaurateur and wine maker Joe Bastianich, and Graham Elliot, the country’s youngest four-star chef. The winner of the contest walks away with $250,000 and a deal to author a cookbook.

The new series debuted last night with a 2.78 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.747 million viewers (per the overnights). That put the show in first place in the all-important demo and number four in overall viewers. Viewership grew slightly halfway through the episode, an indication that people liked what they saw and will probably return next week.

It looks like FOX might have a new successful summer series on their hands. If these numbers hold up, it seems likely that we’ll see another season next summer. If FOX tries to move the show into the regular season, it’ll certainly have a harder time but could still potentially do well.

But, what do you think? Is MasterChef worth watching or would you rather see it cancelled? Is it better or worse than the other Chef Ramsay shows?

Wanda F. March 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Please don’t cancel. My favorite show on television. Love it!

MaryLouise December 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Please keep it, it is my favorite show, can’t wait to see it again !!!!

Kathyn Coleman May 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm

With all the great chef shows on TV, this is the only one for the HOME cook that really wants to be THAT chef. The home chef. Anyone can cook but the shows I watch are only for the pro-chefs. Give us a chance at respect that is our due. I am a good home cook an if not given a chance I can prove my worthiness only by this show. Gordon, and power that be, please give us in America and though out the world a shot at being this person. American Idol, The Voice, etc. I cannot sing, but I can cook as an American housewife. What is more important than being able make great food for our families. What ever happened to sitting down for a simple Sunday meal. Food is a gift.you take with U. U remember for a life time. DONT CANCEL THE SHOW. Give this gift. : )

Charlotte August 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Absolutely keep Master Chef. Reruns are on now and I do not know why. It is a super great show!!!

Vern Elliott August 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Refreshing and entertaining. Very competitive and challenging.
Love it.

Pauline August 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love both shows, Hell’s Kitchen and Master Chef. I am looking forward to all the shows.
Can’t get enough of them.

iamurmstr January 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I am not the worlds biggest food show fan
And i must say Hell’s Kitchen was way better
But in a good sense this show is respectable under all circumstances
Good Luck Kitchen Nightmares
Even better luck Hell’s Kitchen

Oh, and whats up with that whole suicide thing, like two contestants killed themselves because of Chef Ramsey, whats up with that?

Kim December 30, 2010 at 11:39 am

I think it should definitely come back. The show not only is entertaining but also educational. The judges comments were clear and concise adding to the learning experience for the contestants along with the viewers. I loved the show and didn’t miss a single episode. The variety of recipes was wonderful and made me want to try them all! Hope they come back on next year.

Krystle December 28, 2010 at 8:23 am

Keep all his show i really like them and it show that people can change and it helps people out…

Karene September 15, 2010 at 6:53 am

Love the show and I think they should keep it on. Gordon Ramsey is a great chef and judge.

Carriepie September 9, 2010 at 5:53 am

I have always liked ALL of Gordon Ramsey’s shows and like this one as well. I do however don’t care for the other two judges. YIKES! Those poor contestants. lol….I’m a great cook but could NEVER withstand the pressure that those poor contestants go thru. Keep the show, replace the two judges and of course keep Gordon Ramsey. ;)

Karen Urquhart September 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I totally agree with Tina, I could not stand Gordon Ramsey. I am so happy that he is showing this side of himself, he is too great a chef to be turning people off him.

Now that I am seeing a Gordon whom I love I would love to be a on “Master Chef” but I do not know how to go about doing this.

Tina August 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I think Fox should keep Master Chef. I really couldn’t stand Gordon Ramsey on his other shows but i have a new found respect for him thanks to this show. He seems like he really wants to help these talented home cooks… Ramsey seems more “human” to me now not just a raving lunatic.