Medium: CBS and NBC Feud Over Show’s Cancellation

MediumFans aren’t the only ones who were upset to hear that NBC had cancelled Medium. CBS Television Studios, the company that produces the Patricia Arquett drama was not pleased either. While the studios and networks tend to play nice in public, this time the gloves have come off.

In a conference call with reporters, Ben Silverman, co-chairman of NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios, praised the fan efforts to renew Chuck and slammed shows like Medium and My Name Is Earl for being devoid of fan support.

Just hours later, CBS issued a statement that said, “NBC’s cancellation of Medium is inexplicable to us. The ratings don’t lie. Medium outperforms many of NBC’s renewed shows.”

It continues, “Despite inconsistent scheduling, Medium, under the creative vision of Glenn Gordon Caron, one of the most preeminent producers in television, has always performed with distinction both creatively and commercially. Multiple-award-winning actress Patricia Arquette and the cast have delivered a stellar series for five consistent seasons. The awards and ratings speak for themselves. We believe the show has a significant future and await developments.”

What neither statements say is that, according to Nikki Finke, the series was actually picked up for 13 episodes last Friday. Arquette is contracted for 22 installments (and may have to be paid for that many) and CBS wanted at least 16 because of the profits it will make in syndication. Push came to shove and ultimately negotiations fell apart.

But, as is fitting with a show like Medium, “dead” doesn’t necessarily mean “totally dead.” Because it makes sense for the company financially, it’s a sure thing that CBS will pick up for another year. The network announces its schedule shortly.

Veronica January 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I agree with most “What the heck happenned and why so suddenly”.I have followed Medium since the begginning it was a great fictional show with quirky characters, a show that you could really sink your teeth into and wham its done and without closure. I am very disappointed.

Anonymous January 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’ve enjoyed Medium since the beginning. Now I feel as if I’ve lost an old friend. Booooo on you, t.v. executives.

sarahnmike January 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm

NBC – Way to be DUMB!!!! Medium is one of the best, and more original television dramas on the majors, and we will follow it to any station it moves to. I hope CBS CLEANS UP on this transition. As a fan, Please just don’t kill Joe- SERIOUSLY! ALL OUR LOVE MEDIUM!! We’ll be here supporting you! Sarah & Mike

Jacquelyn January 26, 2011 at 5:16 am

This is BS! This is my favorite show. Now I won’t have any reason to watch this channel. What business sense does it make to go against ratings. Good job!

Sadie January 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I just watched my DVR of Medium and I was so angry that it was over. Wasn’t even any warning at all. I feel like it was just ripped up too quickly. They could have at least made it a two part ending so that we could get ready for it being over. I too am sick of reality television and have been sick of it since the end of the first season of American Idol and the second season of Survivor. I want real television, something fun like Medium was, now there really isn’t all the much. Network… big mistake!

Vanessa Rule January 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I also have watched this show since it first came on and I agree completely, tired of reality shows. Enjoyed seeing a happy couple for a change. Will really miss the show.

Anonymous January 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I couldn’t agree more with all of you. Medium is an outstanding drama. Please….I hope it isn’t gone for good.

Gabrielle January 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I am shocked and totally heartbroken. They easily could have had one more season. I feel like I’ve lost a dear friend.

Danielle January 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Ok I’m pissed! First Ghost Whisperer now Medium! There are no good dramas left on regular television, unless that it’s you like only reality shows. CBS I’m pissed!

Patricia January 23, 2011 at 2:51 am

The cancellation of Medium makes my skin crawl. I never missed an episode. It was one of the shows that both my husband and I enjoyed watching together. The show always sparked our interests. I am very sad to see it go. I loved the relationship between Allison and Joe. He was always so supportive of her. In the finale I was a little disapointed. Don’t get me wrong, the show was great, I just was’nt happy with the way they ended it. I wish TV station would reconsider ending the series. It will be greatly missed.

V January 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I just found out that the show I just saw was the last show! I am furious! That show was one of the best on tv, the bond between Joe and Allison was great unlike alot of tv relationships and watching the girls grow was great. This is just upsetting

Melissa January 22, 2011 at 8:04 am

Medium is one of a few shows that provide a smart, independent woman as a role model, as well as, a caring and supportive husband and father. This kind of television viewing is necessary to show what a happy and fulfilling family environment is all about instead of the dysfunctional reality shows that pilfer the networks and cable channels. If we continue to provide programming that focuses on violence, sex, ignorance, and people who massacre the English language, our future children will surely be in last place with no chance of survival in the competitive market. Let’s not kid ourselves that the television is our “teacher”. I am so sorry that Medium is over it was a lovely and eloquent show exit. Thank you for all of the thoughtful and thought provoking experiences Mr. Caron, Ms. Arquette, Mr. Weber, et al……

Tig January 22, 2011 at 12:40 am

The cancelation of Medium is the final straw. I will never watch NBC or any of its affiliates again. After I post this comment, I am going to delete the channel from my DVR and all TVs in my home. I think I will contact your advertisers, too; when that money stops coming in it will wake you up and make you listen. You suck, NBC!

Kelly January 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What the heck???? Why did you cancel this show? I am so sick of the “Reality” TV . I guess I’ll take up knitting or something else worth my time as I won’t be watching TV. When will the networks learn. I feel a wave of change is coming. Reality TV will soon be a thing of the past. I hope!

Sam January 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I just saw the season finale, and I have to say it was absolutely breathtaking. Which is not surprising, almost every single episode has been breathtaking and a joy to watch. Why these people would cancel the show is a mystery to me. I’m getting very fed up with all of the cancellations of good-quality shows. Well, now I have absolutely nothing to watch on Friday nights.