Medium: NBC Cancels Patricia Arquette Series, Still Hope for Season Six?

MediumNBC has decided to cancel its long-running midseason staple, Medium, after five seasons on the air. Do you think Allison DuBois saw it coming?

Medium revolves a wife, mother, and psychic (Patricia Arquette) who uses her abilities to help the local police force. The show also features Miguel Sandoval, Maria Lark, Jake Weber, Sofia Vassilieva, David Cubitt, Miranda Carabello, Tina DiJoseph, John Prosky and Kendahl King.

The drama has been longtime midseason player for the peacock network, starting off in January 2005. Season one averaged almost 14 million viewers. Later seasons have attracted fewer people but the show has remained a good utility player for NBC. This season, the series built on the rapidly declining lead-in audience of Heroes.

But ultimately, the renewal decision came down to dollars and cents. NBC wanted financial cutbacks and a limited episode order. As a result, talks with the show’s studio, CBS TV Studios, stalled last week and NBC has passed on season six.

There is a strong possibility that Medium could move to CBS next season. The show’s already in syndication and the studio would reap big benefits by producing new episodes.

One possible scenario has Medium being placed on CBS’ Friday night schedule, sandwiched between compatible Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs. What do you think of that schedule?

johanne January 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

I can’t believe they have cancelled Medium, it was my favorite on Fridays, it is such a “smart” show with great family values, good for the family. Please CBS take it on, continue any day/time, I will be watching for it.

Sheila January 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

CBS is the network that Medium has been on the past few yrs. CBS showed the Series Finale!

Victoria January 22, 2011 at 9:00 am

I am EXTREMELY disappointed and saddened that Medium has been canacelled! I just found out last night and I feel this is a BAD decision on all levels. This was one of the shows that I sooooo looked forward to every week! Excellent story writing and the actors were the best!!! So many shows have been cancelled this season and it seems that all thats left are the reality shows. Please bring Medium back!!!!!

Beverly Heileman January 22, 2011 at 7:43 am

Please let CBS pick-up “Mediumm…Love it!

Sheila January 24, 2011 at 12:15 am

It WAS on CBS. Originally on NBC several years ago and was going to be cancelled when CBS picked it up. CBS just aired the Series Finale.

Caroline January 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

I was shocked to discover that last nights episode was the series finale. I got totally blind-sided. I have been working nights and I was looking so forward to watching the episode this morning. Now I’m depressed and when I should be sleeping I’m still up,sitting in front of the computer typing these words. I would love the show to continue and it wouldn’t be difficult for some good writers to make the finale one BIG dream that perhaps one of the kids was having. It was ended beautifully I admit, but I would still be a huge fan and would continue to watch it.

Jackie January 22, 2011 at 6:25 am

I love this show… I did not even realize it was going off this air until I watched last night. I almost cried when I realized what was happening. Off the air! Someone please bring MEDIUM back!!!!

Mary Ann Coute January 22, 2011 at 1:56 am

I was so shocked when after tonight’s episode I seen that it was the last of the series. I think that the new schedule with ‘Medium” being in between ‘Ghost Whisperer’ and “Numb3rs” sounds like a great idea,then I could watch my favorite programs all on channel 2. Just please don’t take it off the air all together. Thank you for listening, Mary Ann Coute

Sheila January 24, 2011 at 12:19 am

I’m not sure about Numbers, but Ghost Whisper was cancelled last yr. Medium originally aired on NBC & after NBC cancelled Medium several yrs. ago, CBS picked it up and placed it on after Ghost Whisperer. CBS was the one that aired the Series Finale

Misty January 21, 2011 at 11:54 pm

My heart is broken! This IS my favorite show…well was. I have been a very loyal viewer over the years and I sincerely hope that someone has the sense to put this show back on the air!

Moe January 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm

The airwaves are being taken over by dumb and dumber reality shows. My husband and I looked forward to watching The Medium together. Great acting, stories, ensemble. I hope that CBS is smarter than NBC and will keep The Medium intact.

Now I learn that NBC cut Olberman – Who is making these absurd decisions for NBC????

Annette January 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Medium is an inspirational, well acted, excellent screenwriters, diverse actors and appropriate for family viewing. It is with great sadness that Medium is having it’s last finale show. I strongly suggest that CBS bring this show back. These kind of series truly give us a sense of joy, hope, suspense, and connection to family ties and individuality.

There are many many fans of Medium and I am certain that we can keep Medium alive and bring high ratings to CBS. Please let me know if we will have Medium back on the air.

Many blessings!!!

marsha January 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

How can anyone pick it up when they killed off Joe and showed Allison dying 41 years later with her wedding ring still on?

Jody January 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Wow … We just discovered that this show was canceled. Was the BEST show …this is one show my husband and I watch together. I sure hope CBS decides to pickup and proceed with new episodes.

Jan January 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Really enjoyed the show – The final which I just watched was one of the best and the end was great – it did not leave you hanging wondering what happened which made it so special – shame some of the other writers can not take from this show and when it is over provide us an ending and not leave us hanging – they provided us with an ending as life does which really made it special – Thanks

Michelle January 21, 2011 at 7:50 pm

And please, do not replace this great show with a reality show.

Michelle January 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm

NO! I look forward to this show after a long week. DVR space is treasured in my house and this was definately being taped every week in case I couldn’t catch it. How is it that not enough people are watching this? Maybe another station will pick it up.

R.D January 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Loved the show…Allison and her family were like real people to me. I hope CBS decides to continue the story.