Medium: CBS Saves Cancelled Show; Renewed for Season Six

MediumThough the series has declined in the ratings over the years, Medium’s always been a decent mid-season performer for the peacock network. Considering the state of NBC’s overall schedule, you’d think they’d be glad to have it back.

But, because of today’s economics and the network’s decision to schedule Jay Leno’s new show five nights a week, NBC cancelled Medium earlier this week.

Fortunately for fans of the show, CBS has decided to scoop it up. The network’s sister production company produces the show and makes a boatload of money from it in syndication. Bringing Medium back for more network episodes means that there will be more installments for the syndication package.

The show is also filling a problem spot on CBS’ Friday night schedule. The network hasn’t had much luck finding a strong, compatible show to fill the timeslot between Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs. Medium, which combines elements of paranormal, family and crime drama, seems like a natural fit.

Interestingly, both Medium and Ghost Whisperer debuted the same year but on different networks. The two have frequently been compared and pitted against one another. Who would have guessed they’d end up on the same network, working together?

Canceled and renewed TV show

62 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Doris Breakell says

I love Medium, please keep it going.
    I would like to know when a person records the show does this show up on the ratings because a lot of people use the DVR service.

2. ilania infantas says

NBC made a nonsensical and ridiculous decision in letting go of Medium! Thank you CBS for picking it up! It is the greatest show!

3. Betty G. says

Well CBS I think you have made a BIG mistake with Medium! I watch very little network TV because of the crappy shows…like reality TV. I can count only 4 shows on CBS that I watch. Medium,Two and a Half Men, Big Bang and Rules of Engagement.I am really sad to see it go!! A Devoted Fan of Medium

4. Erika says

Thanks CBS for airing a season 6. I have watched this show from the begining and I love it. I am curious how this season will start since it was left with such a cliffhanger.

5. Misty says

Thank you for saving Medium. It is one of my favorites. It’s realistic in all aspects; family life, work relationships, interpretation of visions, ETC…. Ghost Whisper is cheesy and does not have the acting talant that Medium has. Can’t wait for new season. Woo hoo!!

6. says

Medium has been my favorite show sence it first came on. I have never gotten bored of watching it and look forward to it every week. Please dont ever cancel this show. Like x-files this show is awsome and Ghost whisper cant hold a candle to Medium!

7. lynne a. says

I love Medium and ghost whisperer. Now all my friends can have a reason, place and time to get together every Friday night – TV PARTY NIGHT! Thank You so much CBS. Being able to stay in on a Friday Night these days helps every cut down on going out and still have a great time. This couldn’t come at a better time.

8. Evelyn says

OMG!!! I was so upset when I found out that medium was coming to and end I wanted to cry, thanks so much CBS for bringing medium back you made my day and together with Ghost Whisperer what a friday treat, fridays are getting great on CBS.

9. Laura says

THANK YOU CBS!! I LOVE Medium and Ghost Whisperer and was so shocked and saddened when I learned of its cancellation. CBS- You’re AWESOME!