Medium: CBS Saves Cancelled Show; Renewed for Season Six

MediumThough the series has declined in the ratings over the years, Medium’s always been a decent mid-season performer for the peacock network. Considering the state of NBC’s overall schedule, you’d think they’d be glad to have it back.

But, because of today’s economics and the network’s decision to schedule Jay Leno’s new show five nights a week, NBC cancelled Medium earlier this week.

Fortunately for fans of the show, CBS has decided to scoop it up. The network’s sister production company produces the show and makes a boatload of money from it in syndication. Bringing Medium back for more network episodes means that there will be more installments for the syndication package.

The show is also filling a problem spot on CBS’ Friday night schedule. The network hasn’t had much luck finding a strong, compatible show to fill the timeslot between Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs. Medium, which combines elements of paranormal, family and crime drama, seems like a natural fit.

Interestingly, both Medium and Ghost Whisperer debuted the same year but on different networks. The two have frequently been compared and pitted against one another. Who would have guessed they’d end up on the same network, working together?

Mandy June 15, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I am so EXCITED about this!!!! I was upset to learn that one of my favorite shows, Medium was canceled. But HOORAY FOR CBS. I LOVE Medium and I LOVE Ghost Whisperer!!!!! I was very upset with CBS for canceling Moon Light but know they have redeemed themselves. Friday nights will be even better now…WAY TO GO CBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaile June 15, 2009 at 11:42 am

THANK YOU CBS for saving Medium-my favorite show. I was very upset when I heard NBC had canceled it. What the heck are they thinking? It could have many more story lines for years. The suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat & Patricia is a great actress & Joe & the kids are perfect for her which makes for good family stuff. Please keep it for a long time! I will be glued to tv on CBS Friday nights Ghost Whisperer & Medium-what a fantastic set up! Now if only Jim could really come back to Melinda (GW). GO CBS!!!

Carolyn June 15, 2009 at 10:43 am

I agree with Trish regarding Ghost Whisperer! I love Medium and Ghost Whisperer but I can’t fathom what they were thinking when they killed Jim off and then brought him back. HELLO!!!! But thank you CBS for adding to Friday’s lineup with Medium. Now I will have to watch Flashpoint later but that’s okay too.

Linda June 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm

WOW what idiot canceled Medium and can I apply for his/her job? I have no experience but absolutely know I could do a better job! CBS has made Friday nights something to look forward to again. Starting with Ghost Whisperer at 8:00 pm (est) followed by my favorite show—Medium. It will be a pleasure to spend Friday nights at home with the grandkids and a big bowl of popcorn. Thank you CBS!!!!

Anonymous June 14, 2009 at 10:17 am

CBS is our new favorite network!
Thank you for picking up Medium!

Kathy G. June 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm

There aren’t many reasons to watch network tv anymore. Medium is one of those reasons. Yea, CBS.

Matteo June 12, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I am so glad that there are still smart people that ork for TV stations out there. At least one great show is saved from cancellation but so many still aren’t. I still thank whoever decided to save this show, you are a very smart person

lanie June 10, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Thank you. I enjoy watching Medium. It’s one of the few tv shows that I really love.

Cindy June 10, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Thank you CBS. Medium is one of the few good NON- reality shows left plus it focuses on family and its values. I was in disbelief that it was canceled when so many poor shows are still around. Great news, CBS!!

Rebecca June 10, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Great TV Series……I always look foward to watching Medium. I love the twist and turns. I can see this series being around for a long time. I find the characters interesting, the story line always different.

Susan June 9, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I am so glad that Medium is still around..I love it…

Sher June 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I was so upset to learn Medium had been cancelled. Thank you CBS for having the intelligence to pick up a very popular, inspiring show. NBC has made a lot of bad choices and cancelling Medium is one. But their loss will be CBS’s gain. Thank you again.

Linda Shinn June 8, 2009 at 11:58 am

I also could not believe that NBC cancelled this show, one of my favorites.
Unfortunately, like everywhere else, the networks are simply “downsizing”, dumping good shows, in order to try to save money, and then replacing those good shows with much less expensive to produce reality show and talk shows.
All we can do, is to make it clear to the networks that do this, that we WILL be tuning to the channels that show good quality shows, and NOT the crap that they replaced our favorite shows with.
Granted, NBC still is going to have Heroes, and I think, Chuck, so I will tune in there on Mondays for those shows, but on Fridays, I will be on CBS.

Donna June 8, 2009 at 8:01 am

THANK YOU CBS for picking up Medium. I was shocked when I heard it was being cancelled. Medium always has a great story line and twists. It is truly one of the best shows on TV….
Thank you thank you!!!

Trish June 7, 2009 at 8:09 pm

You know if they saved shows like Medium and Ghost Whisper , instead of ALL these Stupid reality shows People probably would be better responsive and be able to watch these shows…
Also if someone would save Ghost Whisper and make it like Melinda had ended up in a coma or something ,when Jim got shot , like it was all a bad dream people would come back to the show .Instead of something so far ouyt and unbelieveable people could actually grasp it wold be much better also when is Medium Finale