Medium: Did NBC Cancel the Patricia Arquette Series?

MediumOne of the most frequent questions that I receive here is “Why did NBC cancel Medium?” Well, I’m quite happy to report that the Patricia Arquette series has not been cancelled at all. Medium will return for a third season on NBC. It was officially renewed for season three back on April 28, 2006. Contrary to popular belief, NBC does not want to kill the show – it’s one of the few successful shows that it has. So where is it? Well…

NBC, who had a very weak showing last season, was trying very hard to come up with groundbreaking and interesting new shows. Shows that people will actually watch. The strongest of their offerings was the new series from The West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip starring Amanda Peet, Mathew Perry and Bradley Whitford. It was clearly one of NBC’s most promising new shows. (Now that the Studio 60′s debuted to lackluster ratings, it will be interesting to see how long NBC sticks with it.)

The network originally scheduled Studio 60 for Thursday nights to presumably try to re-establish their “Must See TV” night domination. But, when ABC unveiled its tough new Thursday night line-up (headed by Grey’s Anatomy), NBC decided against “scheduling suicide” and to move Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip to Mondays at 10pm. Medium’s slot. Rather than forcing Medium to do battle on the competitive Thursday night, NBC instead opted to move Medium to Sunday nights at 10pm (9pm central). Unfortunately for Medium fans, NBC now has the rights to air Sunday Night Football (which usually garners huge ratings). Football will run on Sunday nights for the rest of the year.

Medium, Season One DVDsFor that reason, Medium’s third season debut has been pushed back to January 2007 (*see update below). The first two episodes (of the 22 episodes that have been ordered) are entitled “Blood Relation and “Four Dreams” (not that the titles tell you very much). Depending on how their season goes, NBC may run Medium uninterupted (no reruns) much like 24 on Fox. No radical changes to the show cast or basic storyline/concept are expected.

Could Medium return to the airwaves sooner than January 2007? Possibly – especially if some of the new NBC shows fail and the peacock network runs out of Dateline “Catch a Predator” episodes.

In the meantime, loyal viewers can watch reruns of the Alison Dubois inspired series on Sunday nights on on Lifetime or via the Season One or Season Two DVD sets currently available (each set offers some great extras and cast & creator commentaries).

*10/12/06 UPDATE: NBC has just announced that Medium will return to the schedule on Wednesday nights at 10pm, starting on November 15, 2006 (in part due to the recent cancellation of Kidnapped). President of NBC Entertainment Kevin Reilly said, “We have been waiting for the right moment to bring back this excellent, chilling drama to our lineup and we know this will make the show’s legion of devoted fans very happy. Medium is an especially creative show, led by the vision of executive producer-creator Glenn Gordon Caron, that is ready to hit the ground running with its new season of thrilling episodes.” TV Series Finale home page

Gillian April 28, 2010 at 7:00 am

PLEASE KEEP MEDIUM ON THE AIR!
THERE ARE SO FEW DECENT SHOWS ON TV –
FAR TO MANY TRASHY, BORING REALITY SHOWS AND SOPPY SITUATION COMEDIES – A WASTE OF AIR TIME.
PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT CANCEL MEDIUM.

Sharyn Koches November 21, 2009 at 11:48 am

Please ……. I never know when or where Medium will be on I Love this show and I love Patriacia Arkette I get so frustrated when I do get to find her and watch it that it ends up being a continuing of which I never get to see the conclusion ????? How do I get to see these conclusions ????? where are the new ones and when is it on ??? DON”T LOSE THIS SHOW I love the relationship with her and her husband so down to earth !

Barbara October 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm

It looks like I am not the only person that has lost Mediun series. I am so lost, will someone bring me up to date?
Last season, Allison was pregnant. Where is the baby?

Linda Yoder June 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm

You really goofed when you took Medium off. Friday nights are now what they use to be. Something to look forward to. CBS is running Ghost Whisperer and Medium back to back starting at 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.

Donna Petty November 17, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Hey, We want Las Vegas Back!!!! If you would have given it a chance and quit moving shows around………..

admin November 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm

@Pat: Actually, its not cancelled. It will be back on the air in early 2009.

Pat November 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Well, I finally found out it is canceled . I can’t believe the station would cancel such a good show, I have 3 shows on tv that I watch , now I guess 2 shows , at least I can stop looking for it. I hope if you ever bring it back and that you will at least advertise so we will know its back.

pj November 28, 2007 at 4:23 pm

BRING BACK MEDIUM….PLEASE..PLEASE. I miss seeing excellent actors with very interesting story lines. Plus the kids are GREAT!!!!I like Medium because it potrays a down to earth family with real everyday problems and joys.

Wendy November 21, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Is this show coming back in 2008? Was it cancelled?

Jerry Barringer March 21, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Has Medium disappeared AGAIN? Why the reruns already?

Samia Abdelmoneim January 2, 2007 at 6:12 am

I seem to be the last one to wonder, I have watched Medium every other Sunday night at 11 pm(because of my work schedule) on NBC since I have found out about it and suddenly Fall of 2006 comes and the show disapperars. I found out by chance that it is on Lifetime on Wednesday night,at 11pm. I have been following it since & now again, it seems to have disappeared. I have a VERY busy life but today I just decided to go online and search. This is such a great show that it is really a shame to have it disappear like that “falling off the face of the earth”. Please bring back this show, I don’t care to what channel, I am sure that if NBC does not want it (even though NBC is my favorite channel) that ABC or CBS will be happy to take it.

Samia from Nottingham, MD

phantommoviefreak November 30, 2006 at 1:01 am

I watched this show from the begining and will continue to watch it. So glad it’s back for a 3rd season and hoping many more returns!

Teeder November 12, 2006 at 10:38 am

Wow. Sitting here reading all of these e-mails, I guess I’m not the only one left wondering. Although I’m glad I have not missed any episodes, a hit show like this deserves a trailer or two to get the information out there. If the the other programs were not so crappy this year, I could have been hooked on another show by now. Now that I know, I will sit and wait patiently.

Lisa November 8, 2006 at 6:38 pm

I am glad I did a search to find out what was going on with medium. My mother and I watch the show ALL the time just as we both watch our CSI’s. Medium to us is just as good as the CSI’s and we would sadly miss it if it didn’t come back on. Waiting till January isn’t too bad as I wait for ’24′ then too. I just think it’s been far too long a wait with medium as it didn’t air much last year. Anyways, glad to hear it’s coming soon :)

ADOLFO CISNERO November 2, 2006 at 7:01 pm

MEDIUM IS THE ONLY GOOD SHOW ON TV OTHR THAN NEWS AND FOOTBALL.