Melrose Place: TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

Melrose PlaceTo no surprise, The CW has cancelled their remake of Melrose Place after just one season and 18 episodes.

The new Melrose Place revolves around the same apartment complex as the 1990s original but largely focuses on a new group of characters. The cast includes Katie Cassidy, Stephanie Jacobsen, Jessica Lucas, Michael Rady, Shaun Sipos, Colin Egglesfield, Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, Nicholas Gonzalez, Victor Webster, and Brooke Burns. Appearances by actors Thomas Calabro, Laura Leighton, Heather Locklear, Josie Bissett, and Daphne Zuniga help kept ties to the original alive.

In September, despite a lot of promotion, the first episode attracted a small 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo and 2.31 million viewers. The numbers fell after that and never came close to even matching the premiere’s. The April 4th episode hit a season low, with a horrific 0.4 rating in the demographic and only .86 million viewers.

Even for The CW, the new Melrose Place’s ratings were absolutely terrible. Though the last episode of the season left many storylines up in the air, there was no way that it was going to be coming back.

Well, the network made it official this week. Melrose Place has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two.

What do you think? Why didn’t this version catch on? Was it a bad idea from the start? Would it have survived if Heather Locklear signed on at the beginning or was including original characters part of why it failed?

joelle September 21, 2014 at 5:04 am

Love love love it! So refreshing don’t miss the old version at all. So believable and great actors with just enough of the old ones. Janes character is perfect. To me this series tops the Beverly hills remake 100% and much more entertaining than gossip girl. Can’t understand why it was canceled so sad!

Kandi August 22, 2014 at 10:47 pm

This show is amazing. Just watched it on Netflix. I loved the diversity in the characters. The trill of every episode!! I really have no clue why it had bad ratings. Its a lot better than most of the tv shows iv seen lately. Truly addicting. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

Aisha August 4, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Please bring the show back it will be a sucess i loved too much for to be over it cant there has to he away to bring it back !!!!!!!!!

India August 2, 2014 at 3:37 am

Please bring it back!! I don’t know anything about the original show, but i cane across it on Netflix and loved every minute of it.

m. June 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I would never work. Heather Locklear and Ashlee Simspon-Wentz are two of the worst actresses on the planet. I really enjoy the show, but I can see why more people didn’t.

Jasmin June 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The original series was a hit because of it’s cast who were all amazing. I would have watched it as would a lot of the original viewers if the original cast were central in the show and not a younger cast which have nothing to do with the original show. They need to reboots with the original cast, Mancini, Amanda and Sydney would be a good start but also peter Burnes and Jane would add more dimensions.

ASHESHE EDIRI PRAISE June 19, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I loved the show from the very first episode. Please continue with its production cause am heart broken right now.

Maci Brooke's June 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm

This show caught my attention on netflix and absolutely loved it very mad they canceled it

Shawn May 1, 2014 at 1:48 am

Such an interesting show. Same as rest once it hit Netflix I was addicted after the first episode. Very interesting and always changing plot. It broke my heart to see I was done the last episode. I am now trying to find the next show that Katie Cassidy plays in. She’s caught my eye since I saw her in supernatural.

anonymous April 13, 2014 at 5:15 am

Definitely bring it back.. Never heard of it till it caught my attention on netflix.. as soon as I watched the first episode… couldn’t stop!! Very beautiful and sexy woman with the funny male characters combined with the insanely twisted plot made it irresistible!

Elisabeth March 28, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I Think it is sad to se it go… I ate it all, thought it was a very good tv series with a lots of good drama…sad sad sad..

Anonymous March 25, 2014 at 11:10 pm

So sad to see this show was cancelled. I did not even know about it until netflix, it was my top favorite on netflix out of many different shows. I am devastated to see it go;(

mark June 12, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Bring this show back, period