Melrose Place: TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

Melrose PlaceTo no surprise, The CW has cancelled their remake of Melrose Place after just one season and 18 episodes.

The new Melrose Place revolves around the same apartment complex as the 1990s original but largely focuses on a new group of characters. The cast includes Katie Cassidy, Stephanie Jacobsen, Jessica Lucas, Michael Rady, Shaun Sipos, Colin Egglesfield, Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, Nicholas Gonzalez, Victor Webster, and Brooke Burns. Appearances by actors Thomas Calabro, Laura Leighton, Heather Locklear, Josie Bissett, and Daphne Zuniga help kept ties to the original alive.

In September, despite a lot of promotion, the first episode attracted a small 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo and 2.31 million viewers. The numbers fell after that and never came close to even matching the premiere’s. The April 4th episode hit a season low, with a horrific 0.4 rating in the demographic and only .86 million viewers.

Even for The CW, the new Melrose Place’s ratings were absolutely terrible. Though the last episode of the season left many storylines up in the air, there was no way that it was going to be coming back.

Well, the network made it official this week. Melrose Place has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two.

What do you think? Why didn’t this version catch on? Was it a bad idea from the start? Would it have survived if Heather Locklear signed on at the beginning or was including original characters part of why it failed?

Canceled and renewed TV show

436 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Coryo says

I think the show didn’t make it because it was such a tie in with the original series. New viewers not aware of the original Melrose place may have felt too lost to follow the big picture. However I do feel that seeing how episode 18 was the last one for me going from original melrose to new melrose it cleared up some things nicely, but it should have ended with Ella arrested because Amanda Woodward always wins. Had there been more seasons we would have seen her full force. As for Jane I am left to think is she or is she not still with Kyle n have a family? So I choose to follow the story up to syds death and finding her killer. However I don’t understand why syd would fake her death when she was so happy with Craig, but syd is a firecracker

2. Nathaniel Archibald says

I still don’t get it. What kind of idiot which not fall in love with this serial? Come one. It’s so me.. The cast is so inspiring. Especially Ella. I love her character. And still, I hope CW gonna produce this next season.

3. oma charlez says

seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pls i beg u people in the name of God, bring back the show….i wanna know how it played out btw amanda and lauren……pleasseeee!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jordan says

This show was AMAZING. They should definitely reconsider continuing this show. The girls were so sexy too! Go Lauren!!!!!

5. Michelle Hite says

I’m so upset , why cancel the show with a bad ending, me personally I loved this version more then the last one’s

6. Sandra says

You’re kidding me right no season 2!! I never watch anything any more too busy with 2 kids but I stayed up late to watch 3 episodes at a time….so much time invested,the show had awesome characters and a great story line!!! Please just another season give me some closure it’s your moral obligation!!!!

7. Courtney says

This show is the BEST!!!! I didnt even know Melrose Place made a comeback, until I saw it on Netflix. I watched the whole season, fiening for some more Melrose. I still want to know will Jonah and riley get back together. I still have hopes for them. What kind of trouble will Amanda stir up for Ella. and will someone PLEASE fire Michael. He has caused enough damage!! Why do bad things keep happening to David? SOMEONE SAVE HIM!! PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK!!!!!

8. SOMEONE THAT DOESNT WATCH THESE TYPE OF SHOWS AT ALL!!!!!! says

BUUUT this show was really really aswome and i really did watch 16 of the episodes in 1 overnight then i had to go to work of crourse, but at work it was all i tought about , just wanted to come home soon and see how it ends. and at the end that i found out there will be NO MORE????? Its REALLY REALLY a waste , all the crew are fablous.This show wasthe best and only show i EVER watched in my life, tried watching some other things as leasted above by others, but got bored right away. I JUST CANT BELEIVE
    FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW BUT NEVER YET IN REAL LIFE

9. Ann morales says

IF I WOULD OF KNOWN THERE WASENT GOING TO BE A SEASON 2 I WOULDENT HAVE GOT ALL INTO SEASON ONE THIS IS BULL THEY CAN MAKE SEASONS FOR EVERY OTHER SHOW BUT NOT FOR THIS ONE VERY SAD I WANT TO SEE THE REST

10. Anonymous says

I LOVED THE SHOW And I want to see more I done watched the whole season in 2days they need to make season 2 please bring season 2 out

11. kayla says

Im totally not liking this. I was so excited I finally found a new show to watch and was really different than all the other sopa shows. Melrose Place was amazing. I wish thet would continue second season.

12. Jordan miller says

I am officially upset!!! I just spent a week watching this amazon show! And I know shows I watch seasons all day and do not watch bad ones. No stupid jersey shore or the hills or teen mom or anything that ridiculous. The rating wernt good because everyone likes reality tv now days. But that show was absolutely amazing. And had an amazing story! Please make another season! Thanks

13. blair kirkpatrick says

i cant believe it was actually cancelled.. i love the new melrose place of course it doesnt help that the cw isnt available to most cable providers without paying extra so its obvious why they didnt have the ratings.. But the new melrose is 100% better than the new version of 90210 and gossip girl, jersey shore and all that other garbage filling the networks! Please make a season two.. this show is like an addiction full of lies and scandals and i couldnt take my eyes off of it.. i seriously just stayed up for 2 days watching every single episode of season 1 on netflix and am totally bummed that they cut it off where they did! :(

14. Taylor michel says

They should make a second season i m in love with this show i want to know what happens does drew die or what happens to david and then david and lauren and does johane get a movie what happens does riley and johane get back together what happens espailly ella does she go back yo jahane …. Please for the sake of Monrose place fans make more seasons please. I will love u forever and ever .. I want to know what happens …………….