Men of a Certain Age: Phil Rosenthal Slams TNT Over Cancelled Series

Men of a Certain Age canceledIf you were upset by the recent cancellation of TNT’s Men of a Certain Age, you’re not alone. Many viewers are upset that there won’t be a third season and Ray Romano’s friend, Everybody Loves Raymond creator Phil Rosenthal, feels the same way. He had harsh words for TNT at the TCA press tour.

Rosenthal said, “Those idiots put six episodes on in November and then waited until July to schedule the next six as if they were trying to make sure the audience didn’t connect to it… Then they cancel it because the audience doesn’t connect to it. That’s why I say the only thing I hate about this business is the business part.”

What Rosenthal may not be considering (but what our readers know) is the fact that the ratings for Men of a Certain Age took a serious hit before the long (and annoying) hiatus. The first half of season two attracted a 0.5 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and an average of 2.16 million viewers each week. That’s a significant drop from season one which registered a 1.0 in the demo and an average of 3.19 million.

What do you think? Do you agree with Rosenthal? What could TNT have done differently? Do you think the ratings would have gotten better if they ran all of the season two episodes together?

Canceled and renewed TV show

25 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Love the show. Wonderful actors, good storylines. Please!! HBO, NBC, FX even OWN. Give us back MOACA! Andre, good luck this sunday at the Emmys.

2. nyrxman says

Great show…very sorry to see it go. The chemistry between the actors was some of the best I’ve seen on TV. One of the “real” networks should pick it up if they want viewership.

3. jerr says

I JUST STARTED WATCHING THE SHOW ON DEMAND.I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST MOST HONEST SHOWS THERE ARE ON TV!! PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT !!! i NEED TO KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OWEN AND THE DEALERSHIP!!!!!! WILL LOVE TO WATCH A NEW SEASON!!!!!

4. REBECCA says

My husband & I finally found a show that was intelligent, funny and what happens it gets canceled- I’m disgusted! Not everyone watches inane reality shows! Please some other network pick up this show- there is an audience for it!

5. Kim says

Seriously?! The”all-too-important 18-49 demographic”? I think you mean 35-49 demographic because the 18-34 (and that’s probably being generous) doesn’t have the disposable income that the 35-49 group does. What we may lack in numbers, we make up for in buying power. Another network would be wise to snap this up – and earn the loyalty of the REAL demographic behind this show.

6. Skysoldier173 says

This show would’ve done better if they got rid of that “ASSCLOWN” Ray ramano his character (or lack of) was as big a pain in the ass here as he was on everybody loves raymond.

7. says

The search for intelligent life on TV continues. Anytime there’s a show with smart writing, great production values and talented actors it’s bound to be scrapped by mainstream media moguls — and possibly network execs who are too young to recognize the value of a show like Men of a Certain Age.

I can count on one hand the shows I was loyal to and followed avidly. Funny enough, two of them featured Andre Braugher — Homocide and MOACA (both shows also displayed an appreciation and knowledge of music). Crime Story and Max Headroom were a couple of other greats.

My husband and I loved MOACA so much, were so entertained and moved by it, that we downloaded it by proxy while living in Italy!!! You gave us la dolce vita Ray and Mike :)

Even though I detest Facebook I will log on just this once in order to sign the “Save Men of a Certain Age” petition.

Grazie mille Ray Romano and Michael Royce
    Sylvie xox

8. MK says

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…WHEN will TV wake up and realize it’s the 21st century??? Niche markets ARE who are watching. So instead of saying that a niche is not big enough to bother with, why not just make shows FOR a niche and be happy when they like it? For example, Warehouse 13 of SyFy may only get 2-3 million viewers a week, but they are 100% faithful to the show. Are those viewers worth less (or worthless) simply because they aren’t Nielsen families? It’s time to just accept that niche markets are the viewers of today and market shows accordingly. Not all things can (or should) appeal to all people!