Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Lizzy Marcano June 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I am so mad right now…I just watched all the episodes from 1-22 and I need to know what happens next…Now I come to find out that the show was canceled…First of all, this show was not advertised enough to be cancelled they should have at least did another season…Second, how can the network just cancel a show without giving it a chance or a wrap up episode…This really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dianne June 27, 2012 at 9:37 am

OMG!!!!! Cancelled! Bring it back or better yet let another network work have a crack at it!! This show was awesome, I fell in love with it on line, watched the entire season in 3 days. Better in some ways than ER, that’s saying a lot!!

Amanda June 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

I was so mad when I heard that it was cancelled. Just because the live ratings weren’t high doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great show. I was a hardcore follower of the show, but I had to watch it online later in the week due to my schedule. Plus, if they were going to end the season they should have at least made a good finale instead of a crappy one. :( I want it to come back!

Van and Cindy June 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Very disappointed that there will not be a 2nd season of Mercy…what a terrible way to end a the 1st season and not have any clue as to what happened….where did it go from the last scene….SAD! Bring it back and try again!

Susanne June 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

Just followed the first season, – excited to see the next, couldnt wait, and discovered that there is no season 2 :( :( – Just a show for me, loved the first season, so sad to hear there will be no more Mercy… What and ending – who phoned ?????

Deb May 27, 2012 at 8:33 am

Was checking to see if Mercy might get a second chance. Sooooo disappointed that no one picked it up and at least put a proper ending to the one and only season. Mercy was one of my favorites.

Kimberly May 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Im really upset that mercy did not have an second chance, I really enjoyed watching it on tv.

lilly April 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I just got the show last week and was ready to get the next show. I get to the store excited and that’s when they tell me that it wad cancelled. What type of ending was that! I’m going for nursing and was excited that they were finally coming out with tv shows about nurses. Hawthorne ended horribly and now this show. Two favorite shows…hopefully Nurse Jackie keeps going strong.

Mercy2 April 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This was a very engaging programme, and I cannot believe that they left us wondering as to what happens to Chris and Mike. This is so disappointing, especially when one thinks of all the junk that actually gets renewed for consecutive seasons.

Aaliyah April 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I’m a sooooooo upset that Mercy didn’t have a second season or at least tell us what happened to Mike and Chris and everyone else. I hate that the show got low ratings and few veiwers because now that takes away from the people that liked or loved that show. AND I LOVEDDDD THAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!

Leah March 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

I was really upset watching the whole series with none to follow! It was so well made and catchy for a younger targeted audience. I don’t feel that the rating were fairly produced.

Jenny March 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I can’t believe that the show has been cancelled since I watched the last episode a few days ago, and I was really wondering what would happen in season 2 and now I’m disappointed.

Brooke March 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I loved this show! I really wish they would have kept it going. Networks need to understand during this time peroid people were losing their jobs so the cable business went down. Im sure if they re aired again there would be more ratings.. N.B.C stands for Not the Best Cable network..

Kristy March 18, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I was very upset when I found out Mercy had been cancelled. I know it has been a long time since then, but it still upsets me. My sister and I absolutely loved the show and if they knew it was to be cancelled they should have ended it appropriately. All the season 1 finale did was leave everyone wondering. With it being cancelled, we will never know. I would love to see it be picked up by someone else to finish off the story.

Shana March 9, 2012 at 4:05 pm

You did not give it a chance to succeed. It was on one week off for 2. It dd not have a consistent showing.