Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Paula January 25, 2013 at 2:51 pm

They should of just make another season and than they could cancel I em so sad they eneded it :(

Paula January 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

How could there be more viewers than if most of people started watching it in 2012 :P

Pat McCarthy January 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

This was one of the best written and casted show since St. Elsewhere. Please network execs somewhere, bring back the same team if possible.
besides the fact I grew up in Jersey City, I can’t believe this show didn’t pull in the numbers.

Megan McCaeb January 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Please bring Mercy back!! IT was a great show. So real and easy to relate to.

judy December 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm

omg i love the mercy i am upset the cancel the show it suck please it back please

dee December 17, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Just discovered Mercy and watched every episode only to discover that the show is cancelled! It was a great series. I really really enjoyed the personalities, the love triangle, the crazy alcoholic family, Veronica’s PTSD,
Can’t they bring it back?

Trine November 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

Bring Mercy back!!!!!!!!!!

Shay November 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm

OMG!!!….I JUST FINISHED WATCHING “MERCY” AND I ABSOLUTELY FELL IN LOVE WITH IT…I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SHOW WHEN IT INITIALLY AIRED AND I HATE THAT I DIDN’T…AND I’M EVEN MORE DEVISTATED THAT THERE WILL NOT BE A SEASON 2!!!…THERE MUST BE AWAY AROUND IT. I WOULD DEFINETLY SUPPORT IT, ALL IT WILL NEED IS BETTER ADVERTISING AND IT COULD BE A MAJOR HIT, TO ME ITS BETTER THAT PRIVATE PRACTICE. WITH GREY’S ANATOMY BEING MY FAVORITE SHOW, MERCY CAME IN A CLOSE 2ND!!!!…PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!

Anna November 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

i saw this show two times and i was shure that will be seasone 2 untill now!!!!! i love the show and i want to know very much what will be the next!!!! so bring it back!!!! Please!!!!

Ewa November 15, 2012 at 12:28 am

Ive just finished watching Mercy, I really like it a lot. I tried to find the next season but I find it hasn’t a second season any more! can’t believe!!!! its a pity, Mercy wasn’t one of this stupid tv movies… :(
Ewa (Poland)

Anonymous November 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Im so bummed I loved this show

Dee Catt October 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Mercy, Mercy! How does a Network cancel a great show like Mercy? I loved it, and many of my friends watched it, including my daughter. What is wrong with the Network? Give it another season and it will take off. It is impossible not to. Some of the current programming this year concerning medical shows are lousy. Give it a go, bring it back!!
Advertise it more. Whatever, just give the public what it wants.

Diane McCain October 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I am disgusted! Could not believe the network would cancel my favorite show. Being a Nurse and knowing the real world of these medical professionals, it was refreshing to finally see a show depicting the real world of hospital work and the politics of it all. Nurse Jackie is not even close, but that show continues. Greys Anatomy is a glorified Soap Opera. Please bring it back…..PLEASE!!!

bobM November 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

screw you greys anatomy is awesome, it has spawned 9 seasons while this show only got one…

Joëlle October 19, 2012 at 1:04 am

You’ve got to be kidding me. The season finale, was like: OH MY GOD WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?
And now we don’t even know?
That’s absurd. I mean, they could at least have a better finale or something.
I think they don’t make a good apearence like this. They should finish their shows. By the way, i’m dutch, so it could be i’m making spelling mistakes, but jeah, now you know why.

Laura September 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I am really upset to find out that they are not continuing this show… they need to bring it back ASAP!! Loved it from beginning til the end of the season and really would like to see how things happen with chris and mike and everyone else in this awesome tv sitcom!! BRING IT BACK!!!