Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Carol August 12, 2013 at 11:14 am

I think Mercy should come back to finish the story line instead of leaving it unfinished. Maybe in a fianl movie to let viewers know what happened with Vernica, Chole and Sonia. Was Chris a victim in the bombing, etc.

Madzia July 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm

This series really is addictive issue HAVE IT AGAIN!!, At least for those who loved that show. I am of Polish, and I know that here, too many people like it. It’s not okay just to leave the audience in suspense. I’m terribly sorry, because I loved the show and can not stand it if I find out what happened next!

Hannatu Joshua July 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Bring mercy back its been a nice show

lori July 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I wish you had a season two as I loved it and watched every episode..it wasn’t right to leave it hanging which man died and who lived…you need atleast another show to let you know.

Quito June 25, 2013 at 7:56 am

I LOVE the show!!! I wish that it can be aired again. All the cast deserve a second chance to displayed their great talent. This show is better than Gray Anatomy. They deserve an award for how realistic the show is. I didn’t even know the show was on NBC until I watched the entire season on Hulu-Plus. My mom and I watched it for days and didn’t watch our other popular shows. I pray this show gets another opportunity for several seasons.

Kourtney June 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

Man i was so mad. I love this show. I wanted to know if mike got hit by that car or not… smh @ NBC for canceling the show with that type of ending in season 1 finale …Bring this show back i love it!!

anglros13 April 16, 2013 at 4:06 am

i never even knew about this show but just watched the whole season and it is great, wish it was still on!

VictoriaGrace April 16, 2013 at 3:17 am

Man, I wish this show wasn’t canceled, I am hooked! Just bought it off Amazon and already done, I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. And bow we’ll never know :( what a shame.

Mark April 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm

This show was incredible!!!! It needs to be aired again!! The storyline was one of the best i’ve ever saw in a tv series!

stacy curry March 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Mercy really needs to come back it left me puzzled want to see what happened and who she ends up falling for.merscy mercy.air it.

Jenny March 3, 2013 at 12:51 am

Loved the show could not beleive they cancelled it expecially how it ended wish they would bring it back

menoazoz February 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

this show was one of the best shows and the ending is omg i wish they just bring it back in a way really love this show…

Kimberly West February 10, 2013 at 4:40 am

Although Mercy was cancelled some time ago, I continue to be disappointed that NBC would cancel a show & leave its viewers with memories of a big cliffhanger. I really hoped, still do actually, that another network would pick up the show. By now I’m sure the original actors/actresses have probably lost interest & I’m not sure if it would be the same with others…they all had good chemistry. Since it is likely it will never return, I wish the writers would release the outcome of the characters.

peterson February 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I thought it was a great show !!!

caro February 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

This is nonsense! This show was one of the best I have ever watched! It didn’t even air in SA! Acting was amazing and so was the story line :( I only started watching a week ago!