Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Kat January 8, 2014 at 1:41 am

I really would of like to see a second season. I would of like to see ronny get back with mike.
Now I won”t know, not a good ending to what could of been up there with Grey’s Anatomy. Too bad.

Melissa January 7, 2014 at 6:06 pm

So upset this show was canceled! It was such a great show! I do not understand, however, why the writers didn’t write an ending that wrapped everything up. The final episode left more questions than answers – extremely disappointing! I wish another network had picked this show up because this show makes all the others look like crap!

Church January 3, 2014 at 4:31 am

Really enjoyed the show. Would really like a second season to see how it ends.

Brent December 29, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Mercy was a great show pretty upset nbc cancelled but at least most of the actors are on Orange is the new black. Can’t wait for the new season in 2014.

Linda December 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Mercy was good!! Never heard of it before Hulu, so I am bummed that it ended with total cliffhangers! Actors did good, story line was good, and I’m a nurse so it was relate-able. If NBC had done a better job advertising the show it would of done better. Boo.

Debbie Burnette December 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I just finished watching the first season of MERCY and loved it. You really need to do the second season it’s not right to leave people hangin like that. A lot of drama, suspense and some reality!!

Anthony Pecora December 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Perhaps NBC should look at a different demographic age group.

The age group that has more spendable income then the all important one

Not the age group that eats Miliano cookies and waste the time they have on computer games.

Perhaps they should have resort advertises ,cruise ship operators and enjoyment advertisers & pay a little less attention to the all important age group.

Joemily November 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm

No lo puedo creer!!!!!!!! Me encantaba este show y me moría por comenzar a ver el segundo season!!!!! Please hagan algo…!!!!!!

Tdiggs November 15, 2013 at 12:35 am

I hate that this show got canceled I just watched all of season one on Hulu and I have really gotten hooked I hate that the suspenseful ending will not be continued! Please bring this show back

yvette valdez November 14, 2013 at 1:26 am

I am really disappointed this show was cancelled… I started watching it on hulu and got all the way thru the end and told my daughter I cld not wait for season two. My daughter then relayed to me I don’t think that will be happening because I think you are watching a show that has been cancelled. I loved this show and thought that it was pretty good!

alice carlos November 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

I hear you Yvette I was very disappointed too. I really wish and hope they do make a second season I really would like to know what happen to Mike. Plus, Dr.Stans if we can get more responses maybe NBC will bring it back.

Debra Keller October 28, 2013 at 1:51 am

I liked this show. I rarely watch shows on the networks any more because they end like this. I wait until they’ve done their run and watch them on netflix. I remember watching Kidnapped and they moved it and moved it and then ended it without the kidnapping being solved. I was able to see it later that year on netflix and saw the ending.

The main character was very conflicted and it was very real life for me.

Best med show since St Elsewhere.

Destiny October 16, 2013 at 1:09 am

This is so stupid they really need to come out with season 2…. Or at least make and ending to it so it doesn’t enter like that.. I just watch the final episode and it need a way better endding!!!! I can’t believe it!!!!!

Jill October 2, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Omg I loveeee this show. I am so bummed this show got cancelled. I realLy hope they come back with a season 2. REALLY HOPE!!! Such a good show!!??

alice carlos September 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I am very sad to hear that the show had to cancell. I personally loved it. I even went and bought the complete series. I was alitte disapointed dow I would really like to know what happen to Mike. I would of hoped to see Veronica and Mike be happy. And I would of loved to know if Sonia and Nck would of gotten married They made a great couple. Is there any chance that Mercy will come back with a second season. I hope so. I hate knowing that the season had to end the way it did. I really hope there will be a second season.

Boogie August 16, 2013 at 12:12 am

Ok NBC, is Sonia going to be ok, is Briggs really going to marry the chick he didn’t live just for money i think chloe can change him, Is veronca ever gonna catch a break, please don’t kill mike he doesn’t deserve to die. Chloe poor Chloe she really needs some grown up love in her life. Please don’t tell me you drag sands all the way from Afghanistan to kill him in an airport …really. At least one more show to tie up the loose ends….please

alice carlos December 20, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Right on… I’m with you Boogie please NBC its not right you left Mercy fans in suspense.