Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Anonymous March 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Watched season 1 on netflix. I understand shows get axed. But was it even airred in the uk?? Could have atleast made a one off episode to wrap the show up!! What happened to mike?? What happened to chris?? Upset and left forever wondering..

Karla Nix March 25, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I’d love to know WHERE they got their ratings!! Seriously, who are they asking? I really enjoyed the show….it’d be nice if the producers would finish what they started!

Zoe March 23, 2014 at 7:39 am

Devastated at the ending!! Then to find out no season 2?! What are you playing at?! Bring it back is what I say. Shame on netflixs showing mercy with only one season

Anonymous March 21, 2014 at 2:21 am

I just finished season 1 on July as most with no idea there wasn’t a season 2. I love the show. Was totally addicted. Very disappointed there is no season 2. I would really like to know what happened. You can’t end a show like that!

chrystle March 20, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Hey….Loved the show. Just finished up with season one. To my surprise and disappointment “no season two”. Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boohoo, boohoo, boohoo.

Daisy March 18, 2014 at 3:12 pm

It is such a good show, why didn’t I know about it sooner, bring the show back!!!

James March 18, 2014 at 5:55 am

The show made me laugh, and cry, and think about life. I watched all of season 1 shows in just 3 days. Had no idea that there was only one season. Could someone at least post the next season’s script or provide some closure. LOVED it -

Rae March 23, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Totally agree, I also watched the whole season in just a few days (thank you netflix!) and was completely addicted. Would love an eye over the next script even if it isn’t going to be filmed, I’m completely at a loss and want to know what happens next!!!!

jesse werner March 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I really love mercy I love all the people in it and they made it all real and they was doing really great please bring it back please we want to see what happen too.love movies like mercy trauma and the others listed.JBW

Anonymous March 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I am absolutely upset… you can’t leave the series like that without a next season. Extremely upsey

Elizabeth March 12, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Please bring it back , Series 2 please. Loved it.

Elizabeth March 12, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I wish the series had not ended , it was a terrible ending with both men killed that Veronica loved. Not a good ending , too depressing unless it was supposed to say she should have made up her mind.

Please have a season 2 and have Veronica get back with the doctor who has a great character. Thanks

Nicole March 7, 2014 at 12:59 am

And another thing – this show has FOUR stars on hulu, and 4.5 stars on netflix! Where did they get these abnormally low ratings anyway? A mental hospital or something? Because that’s what it looks like to me! >:(

Nicole March 7, 2014 at 12:54 am

WHAT?! This has been the ONLY good show for me in a long time! Most shows I’ve seen (especially medical/science ones) have completely messed up the facts, but overall this one was very accurate. I don’t get why people have to be such a holes and rate it so badly – and I don’t see why all the crap shows (with completely wrong facts) get good ratings!!! Are most humans just idiots? Or are those shows made “popular” from rich producers? I feel like the only shows that get good ratings are the ones that have money for marketing or whatever else gets more views. The ending did NOT wrap it up, at all. I’d love to see another company pick this show up, but I don’t see why they would with these horrible ratings… :(

anonymous 2 March 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Neither can I !! I love this show and was really frustrated at the ending

Anonymous March 4, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Noooooo! Can’t believe there’s no season 2! Arhhhhh!