Mercy: Will the NBC TV Show Be Cancelled or Return for Season Two?

MercyIn July, production on NBC’s Parenthood was delayed due to Maura Tierney becoming ill. She eventually had to drop out of the project and Lauren Graham stepped in.

Because of the backstage issues, NBC delayed Parenthood’s Fall premiere and replaced it with a series that was scheduled for midseason, Mercy. Some wondered if having two new medical series might cause one to suffer. It turns out, Mercy and Trauma are both in critical condition.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The series got off to a mediocre start on September 23, 2009. The premiere attracted a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. That put the debut in fourth place for the demo and in second place for total viewers.

The second episode fell to a 2.1 rating and 7.35 million. The third installment dropped again to a 1.8 rating in the demo and 7.29 million viewers. Not good.

Though the show’s ratings could hardly be called strong, NBC gave Mercy a full season order in October. The rest of the network’s schedule was performing poorly and the order likely had most to do with the fact that NBC just needed original programming. It didn’t hurt that the series is a co-production of NBC’s corporate sister, Universal Media Studios.

Should Mercy be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Meanwhile, Trauma struggled from the very beginning and NBC pulled the plug after 13 episodes. But then, based on the need for more programming, the network ordered seven more installments. That show returns on March 8th but is a big longshot for renewal.

While Mercy was initially the better performer, the show’s ratings have now reached Trauma-like levels. The most recent episode of Mercy hit a series low with a dismal 1.4 rating in the demo and just 5.86 million viewers.

NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad recently said that she still loves the drama creatively, but she also noted that the show’s ratings need to rise for it to survive. She made that statement before Mercy fell to its most recent low.

The network has commissioned 18 pilots for the 2010-11 season and Bromstad has acknowledged that they’ll have to essentially rebuild their schedule from scratch.

TV show supportWith the ratings as poor as they are, it’s highly likely that Mercy will be cancelled and won’t survive to see a second year.

What do you think? Would you be sorry to see Mercy cancelled? Is it worth watching? Is there a reason that more viewers aren’t tuning in?

Stacy August 19, 2011 at 7:20 am

PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK FOR SEASON 3! I LOVE THE SHOW, THE CHARACTERS, EVERYTHING!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Anonymous August 17, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Please bring it back!!! I know this post may be late but I seriously liked the series. I can’t be left wondering what happened!

Erin July 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Please bring it back!!!! I just watched all 22 episodes on Hulu plus! It is so great!!!!!!

Anonymous July 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm

This might be a late response but yes!!!! Bring it back!! This show is awsome….found on Netflix and watched all 22 episodes in 2 days!! Please bring it back…don’t leave us hanging!! That is what brought me to this website…wanting more!!

thanks

John July 23, 2011 at 11:50 am

These people were like family to me. I have worked in a hospital for 36 years and all of them were type cast for their rolls. The kinds of cases, the doctors and nurses solving their patient’s problems is just as in real life. The only show more real in content is “Health & Fit’s Untol Stories of the ER”. Please bring this great Americana show back!

Barney July 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

Great show! I am a very picky t.v. watcher hence my reason for watching most shows on DVD. Most shows send me to sleep or bore me senseless. Mercy was a breath of fresh air in terms of hospital dramas. Do Mike and Roni reunite? Does Chloe go for Medicine or could she eventually end up in a romantic tryst with Van Der Beek and/or Dr Harris!!? What happens to Sonia and her on again off again romance with the cop? The possibilities are endless for season 2 and I need closure. Season 1 had me glued to my tv screen for days and I want/need more. Pleeeeeese give me answers. The sooner the better. Who cares if it rated or not. Big Brother and Ramsey’s kitchen rated. Is that what t.v. is all about now. If so, I’m switching off for good!!!

Fiona July 14, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I loved this show! I think there was something else good on at the same time on another station, maybe that’s why the viewing was “low”. I don’t believe 7.29 million viewers is low. I think the network exects are smokin’ crack! 96% of the votes on the pole said “no, don’t cancel the show. It does not surprise me that they are not listening to the people!!! BRING BACK MERCY, PLEASE!!!!

Heather July 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I loved this show!! Please bring it back!!

Anonymous July 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I really like this show. Please bring it back, You left us hanging.

Christina July 5, 2011 at 5:08 am

PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK, I’M IN NURSING SCHOOL ALSO BC OF THIS SHOW AND LOVE THE CHARACTERS…..PLEASE PLEASE BRING MERCY BACK!!!

J June 29, 2011 at 1:26 am

PLEASE BRING MERCY BACK!! I LOVE THE SHOW! WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE!

Tasha June 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Please bring it back! I love this show! Mike and Roni’s life reminds m of my own, I enjoy relating. Thanks!

pam June 21, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Don’t cancel. I really liked that show.

lori June 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I LOVE MERCY, I LOVE THE CHARACTERS, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!! THANKS

Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

PLEASE bring the show back I cant be left hanger on what happened to mike and chris and roni… I absolutely love this show the show is one of the reasons I’m in nursing school right now!!!!!! PLEASE MAKE A SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!