Mercy: Will the NBC TV Show Be Cancelled or Return for Season Two?

MercyIn July, production on NBC’s Parenthood was delayed due to Maura Tierney becoming ill. She eventually had to drop out of the project and Lauren Graham stepped in.

Because of the backstage issues, NBC delayed Parenthood’s Fall premiere and replaced it with a series that was scheduled for midseason, Mercy. Some wondered if having two new medical series might cause one to suffer. It turns out, Mercy and Trauma are both in critical condition.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The series got off to a mediocre start on September 23, 2009. The premiere attracted a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. That put the debut in fourth place for the demo and in second place for total viewers.

The second episode fell to a 2.1 rating and 7.35 million. The third installment dropped again to a 1.8 rating in the demo and 7.29 million viewers. Not good.

Though the show’s ratings could hardly be called strong, NBC gave Mercy a full season order in October. The rest of the network’s schedule was performing poorly and the order likely had most to do with the fact that NBC just needed original programming. It didn’t hurt that the series is a co-production of NBC’s corporate sister, Universal Media Studios.

Should Mercy be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Meanwhile, Trauma struggled from the very beginning and NBC pulled the plug after 13 episodes. But then, based on the need for more programming, the network ordered seven more installments. That show returns on March 8th but is a big longshot for renewal.

While Mercy was initially the better performer, the show’s ratings have now reached Trauma-like levels. The most recent episode of Mercy hit a series low with a dismal 1.4 rating in the demo and just 5.86 million viewers.

NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad recently said that she still loves the drama creatively, but she also noted that the show’s ratings need to rise for it to survive. She made that statement before Mercy fell to its most recent low.

The network has commissioned 18 pilots for the 2010-11 season and Bromstad has acknowledged that they’ll have to essentially rebuild their schedule from scratch.

TV show supportWith the ratings as poor as they are, it’s highly likely that Mercy will be cancelled and won’t survive to see a second year.

What do you think? Would you be sorry to see Mercy cancelled? Is it worth watching? Is there a reason that more viewers aren’t tuning in?

Anonymous May 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I am a teenage girl and i started watching this show not that long ago but have already watched all the episodes… This is one of the best shows i have seen with a lot of drama in it and medical work attached to it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!!! Many of the shows i watched got canceled but this one was by far the best. I will be soo glade to see it come back!

Arlene Fernandez April 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love this show. I’m live in Puerto Rico and wright now I’m watching the serie in Hulu. I’m paramedic and nurse and I like so much this serie

Me April 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Please bring Mercy back.. Especially cause I need to know what happens.. I loved that show. Sucks that so many shows I watched have been cancelled.

Jocelyne March 27, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Please continue with Mercy. My husband and I enjoyed it so much

maciek February 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm

please bring back Mercy! We watched this serial in Poland! There should be next season
!

Laura Jayne January 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

Please bring Mercy back! I watched it when it was on the tv and was so upset that they didn’t do another season! This show is absolutely fabulous, I would love love love to see it return and I believe it will do very well if it fees return!!

Anonymous December 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Just started watching it on Hulu and I love it, I really hope it continues.

tee December 16, 2011 at 10:34 am

please bring this awesome show back from the Abyss !

Rachel Almeyda December 5, 2011 at 6:53 am

That was an amazing show!!!!! I was totally hooked, each persons story is amazing and has you on edge. The last episode was a major cliffhanger and it left me practically in tears. I really hope this show could come back. Thats aweful to leave us hanging like that. Maybe their wasnt good ratings because the advertisement was not as strong and didnt give a better view what the show was about. Unfortunately their are plenty of medical shows but by far better then Private Practice and Grey’s Anatomy. Definately better then E.R. what a shame!!!!!

Adela November 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it back

alex November 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

Really!!!!!best show ever… why do they always try to cancel the good shows

Pascale October 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’m a nurse student and I really love this show!!! PLEASE let there be a next season!! I’ve been telling all my friends about it, and I love the idea that there is finally a show highlighting nurses!!! We have such a big role to play in the hospital, I’m sure alot of nurses will be watching this show! please please pleaseee, i’ll get everybody I know to watch this show because it’s amazing :) even my boyfriend likes it!

Libby h September 11, 2011 at 4:54 am

Mercy was great! Maybe cliched but I loved it and I know it’s not 20 million but I had a regular group of 20 friends over every week to watch it together. It doesn’t deserve the poor ratings. We are all so disappointed about hearing its been cancelled BRING IT BACK!!

Margaret September 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Please bring Mercy back I loved that show. It was awsome.

Stevie September 2, 2011 at 6:07 am

Plssss bring it back. It was such an amazing show; and I can’t be left wondering after the cliffhanger! that’s just cruel :(

Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

Mercy was an awesome show. I worked as a nurse’s aid and I am currently a Nursing student going for my RN. This show reminded me why I am doing what I am doing and kept me going. Please bring Mercy back!