Merlin: Cancelled by NBC but Season Two is Still Coming to US

MerlinThe BBC series didn’t exactly bring “magical” ratings to NBC during its short run last summer but Merlin’s second season will still be seen here in the states.

Merlin follows the life of the legendary wizard in early adulthood, living in the court of King Uther, Arthur’s father. The series stars Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head as King Uther, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Gwen, Richard Wilson as Gaius, and John Hurt as the voice of the Great Dragon.

A production of BBC One, Merlin has been a big enough success in the UK to be renewed for seasons two and three. NBC picked up the supernatural show and decided to run the first season during the summer of 2009. The ratings weren’t very good and the network has been mum on any plans to bring it back.

Does it matter to you that Merlin's on SyFy and not NBC?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, there’s word that Merlin is indeed coming back to the US — but not on NBC. Word is that Syfy (also owned by NBC Universal) will begin airing season two of Merlin on Friday, April 2nd; paired with the returning Stargate Universe.

If you need a refresher on season one, Syfy will be airing the episodes during an all-day marathon on March 28th. You can also purchase the official DVD release but that won’t hit stores until April 20th. It’s a five-disc set and will contain all 13 episodes as well as two hours of extras that will include video diaries and a featurette.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Merlin is returning to the US? Does it matter to you that it’s on Syfy and not NBC?

Canceled and renewed TV show

156 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Carole says

love Merlin, great show, great actors, hope it returns quickly, it is now May 2011. do not cancel this is a great family show. we all look forward to it!

2. Dude says

Does it matter whether Merlin is on Syfy and not NBC? Both networks are becoming increasingly irrelevant. Although I’m not a great fan of the show, I’m less a fan of NBC/U and it would be better if it could be seen on BBC America.

3. Jean says

Don’t know where the show was in the summer of ’09, but if I would have known about it, I would have watched it. Love the show. Wish the powers that be would make fewer cops and doctor shows and more sci/fi and creative shows like this.

4. Don says

My wife and I love watching this show. It’s got everything…love, humor, adventure, and just the right amount of magic. They could take this so much farther now that the Knights of the Round Table have emerged. And we have to wait until 2012!!!? That’s so disappointing!

5. Dianne says

I love this show and half the folks that I work with watch it as well…. so every Monday we get together for a few minutes and talk about what happened on Friday and the previews for the next up coming show…. We all enjoy the light heartedness played by the elderly wizard in the last few shows. It was a nice mix up from the nasty Morganna…. and gave everybody a chance to do something a little different in the show. Keep it coming!

6. Linda says

It’s a good show. It’s something great to get into and something awesome to research. I didn’t watch the show on tv, I watched on Hulu. It was great, watched the two seasons in about two weeks, a couple every day after work. Now that it’s over I wish there were more seasons to look forward to. If you love the thought of magic, Harry Potter for instance, this is a good show. The acting and writing get the point across. It takes me to a different world and that is the most important part. Hope there are more seasons then just two.

7. Daniel says

The show is horrible a real waste of airtime. It never should have
    Have been made. The worst concept and writing, the acting is on the same level.
    Garbage and is an embaressment to the profession. Good riddens.

8. says

This is one of the few programs that is worth watching, I’m thrilled that it is coming back. It is one of the best, with out drugs, reality stupid shows. The acting is fabulous by everyone. thanks for bringing it back to people who care.

9. Mary Ellen says

Yes, I’m thrilled that Merlin is coming back. It is one of the the few programs that is worth watching on T.V. and I’m over 60. It is just an amazing show, with out drugs and reality stupid series.