Merlin: Possible Season Five and Specials for BBC

MerlinSeveral weeks ago, it was announced that Merlin was renewed for a fourth season to debut in 2012 overseas. Though that’s good news for fans of the show, some have been concerned because the series was renewed for only 10 episodes versus the usual baker’s dozen. Does this mean that the show is coming to a close?

Merlin showrunner Julian Murphy tells SFX that the reduced episode order came down to finances. He said, “Merlin is an expensive show… and what we are not prepared to do is cut its budget or production values. The BBC has had a really tough [financial] hit.”

On the positive side, Murphy noted that, “We are now discussing the fifth series with the BBC, and I think [the 2011 break] potentially preserves the program for longer. There is [also] talk of specials [and other] ways we can fill in the gap, but these are tough times for British broadcasters.”

Merlin has been renewed for a third season here in the states and that will debut on Syfy on January 7, 2011. Murphy teased that fans can look forward to “three or four absolutely iconic moments” in the final episode of the third season.

He added, “The last two are very special episodes because probably there are more crucial moments from the legend in them than in any other… The changes that happen in [episodes] 12 and 13… set up the direction that series four is going in. You get a good glimpse of the future.”

Syfy hasn’t decided to pick up the fourth season of Merlin yet and will likely wait to see how well year three performs in the ratings.

What do you think? Would you like to see Merlin continue for a fifth season or end after four? How long can it go on? Any ideas about what could be done for a special?

Sydney Marcotte December 31, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Merlin must return for season 5! Magic must be brought back to Camelot! And Morgana isn’t dead yet! Much to come, I feel.

There is a potential for a flash forward to Morgana and Merlin’s seemingly never-ending struggle.
Also opportunities for Merlin to meet himself in the future etc., seeing as Merlin is supposed to be the Master of Time.

jane December 31, 2011 at 12:39 pm

please season 5 should be released.i am in love with the show

Derilynn December 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I agree with every comment made before me. I absolutely love this series. I got so addicted to it from watching it on television here in Canada that I search the internet so that I could watch it as it airs in the UK. I have just finished watching the last of season 4 and can not wait for season 5 to begin. This is a series that captures the interest of all ages from young to old from around the globe. Kudos to you for producing and portraying the legend of King Arther and Merlin in a great series. Many thanks.

Derilynn

Maria December 28, 2011 at 3:44 am

I want to see more Merlin. please!

Myrddin J. Emrys December 17, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I am a 49 year old male and have enjoyed watching all 4 seasons. Hoping there will be a 5,6,7,8,9, and a 10th season. You honestly got me glued to the television screen. Actually you have got me glued to the internet screen. I wait with anticipation to see what happens next. One more show to the end of season 4, and I already cannot wait to see what’s going to happen in season 5. I as your friend need more of Merlin and the actresses and actors of the show need more of Merlin. If it ends in the fourth season, I applaud you, and thank you so much for allowing me to watch such a tremendous television show. Thank you U.K. you are the best!

Myrddin

Sam Stevens December 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I agree about many, many seasons more! There is plenty more story to tell! I hope it won’t take another year before we get to see Season 5.

sarah December 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm

i wnat more merlin

Sergio Zimmermann December 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

YES please have additional MERLIN seasons added, i hope to see MERLIN come out with season 5……This has been the BEST series…….it is way better than LEGEND OF THE SEEKER and XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS…..it does need a bit more MAGIC in the show and also bring back the DRAGON and also they should focus on MORGANAS story again and try to finish up that piece…

yannick bastaens December 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hello,

I’m from Belgium and i like Merlin very much so pls let there be a fifth season of Merlin!!!

Lynn December 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I absolutely adore Merlin, and I think a 5th season is almost inevitable as it gets such good ratings and has a good following. It has something about it that really does make it magical. I have enjoyed every episode of every season. My favourite was Beauty and the Beast, where Uther marries a troll. I laughed out loud at several bits of that. It was entertainment of a high calibre. Long may Merlin reign!!!!

Caroline November 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm

My family loves Merlin!!! I think it is the best depiction of King Arthur and Merlin that I have ever seen or read. We think that it could go on for several more seasons past 5 if it is done right.

Alexa A September 19, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I really hope they make a fifth season of merlin and more. I love this show and I will be very upset if it canceled.

Robert Van Damme August 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I really Hope they will make a 5th season… I really think it’s one of the greatest Merlin – Arthur series I’ve ever seen.
I also hope they will make a movie of it, seems like a great idea.

PS.. I watched All the 3 seasons in 2 weeks time :D

Sam A -Tasmania, Australia August 11, 2011 at 4:54 am

please please keep Merlin going for the fifth season, what happens with Morgana, what about the dragon that is Merlins friend, will the king accept magic back into the kingdom. So many questions and we need answers. Really enjoy the show and hope it will continue, I even have my 6 year old daughter glued to the tv screen when it is on, so it is like a history lesson all at the same time.

barbara July 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I would like for merlin go for the 5th season in the us

Leif July 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Too many fans would be disappointed if Season 4 of Merlin did not air Friday nights on Syfy.. The show is brilliantly filmed, and entertaining for all ages. 10 episodes for Season 4 is not acceptable, but something is better than nothing. I can’t image BBC isn’t going to make money on this fine series for years to come. If BBC ends the series after season 5 and promises a few movies, why can’t Syfy pick up the series and make there own original episodes?