Merlin: BBC TV Series Renewed for Season Four

MerlinWhile Merlin has had a bit of a rocky journey here in the states, it continues to be a success overseas. The fantasy series has just been renewed for a fourth season by the BBC.

Merlin presents a different look at the younger days of the legendary fictional sorcerer. The series stars Colin Morgan, Angel Coulby, Bradley James, Katie McGrath, Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt (as the voice of the dragon).

The fantasy show ran on NBC during the summer of 2009 but was cancelled due to low ratings. Happily for fans, season two surfaced this summer on Syfy, the niche cable channel that’s also owned by NBC-Universal. It performed well enough on Syfy to be renewed for a third season back in August. Season three has begun airing overseas and is expected to begin airing on Syfy in early 2011.

The BBC has now commissioned a fourth season of Merlin. It will be made up of only 10 episodes versus the typical 13 installment order. It’s unknown if this may be an indication that interest in the series is beginning to cool. Filming is due to get underway in Wales and France in March 2011 and episodes are expected to air in 2012.

Of the pick-up, FremantleMedia Enterprises Global CEO David Ellender said, “With Merlin now in 183 countries and a fourth (season) under way, it is a truly global brand.”

Ben Stephenson, the controller of drama commissioning, said, “Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor and offers audiences an alternative treat on Saturday nights.”

There’s no word if Syfy will decide to air the fourth season when it becomes available. That decision will most likely be made after Syfy execs see how season three performs.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Merlin’s been renewed? Do you want Syfy to air it?

Marta March 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I just finished watching season five. Is this the last one

Donna Haberl September 14, 2012 at 4:33 am

Please bring it back every thing I like on Tv goes away. This is the pits this show is a very goood one compared to paranormal shit come on people go for it.

Nina August 4, 2012 at 6:45 am

When is Merlin coming back on in the USA? Late Summer or Fall 2012? I LOVE MERLIN!!!
Nina

Thilo August 4, 2012 at 5:56 am

Does anyone know if the new season of Merlin is going to be aired? Is there a new season of Merlin?

admin August 4, 2012 at 6:00 am

Thilo » They’ve been shooting season five and it will air on Syfy. There are more recent articles on this site.

dorothy boyd July 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

merlin is one of the show I watch most often. even the reruns. it is a great family
show. please make more seasons.

Patrick Finneran June 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

Merlin remains one of my “most looked forward to” shows. I will be tremendously disappointed if the final season is not aired in the US. Not surprising that the august nabob programmers at NBC don’t appreciate this show. They haven’t gotten anything “right” in years– as their miserable ratings prove!

barb May 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm

would like syfi to air all merlin season’s love merlin tv show

Kris April 27, 2012 at 6:50 am

Great show, grand kids and I watch every week

Noah April 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

One of the most captivating shows to hit the screen in a long time! Merlin is dramatic, colorful, great story theme, clean and wholesome. The wife and I wait all week long to see the next episode and are empty when the season break comes. We hope it continues to catch on and it’s worthy to last for a long time to come! Absolutely LOVE IT!! Hope it continues to show of syfy but any channel is better than none at all.

Martha April 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Please tell me Merln will continue soon, fter May 2012..

Bonnie March 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I love watching Merlin and I am not young. It is enjoyable and just what is needed to unwind after a busy week. I hope it keeps getting renewed for a long time to come

Martha April 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I agree

Gail and Jeff July 13, 2012 at 8:01 am

We love Merlin and will be very disappointed if SyFy does not continue providing the show.

Chris March 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have started watching Merlin since the beginning. My young boys love it and are faithful in watching. I watched it when it first aired on NBC and followed it to Syfy. Watching Merlin on Syfy has lead me to check out other shows on that channel. Keep the fantasy alive in my young boys and keep Merlin!