Merlin: BBC TV Series Renewed for Season Four

MerlinWhile Merlin has had a bit of a rocky journey here in the states, it continues to be a success overseas. The fantasy series has just been renewed for a fourth season by the BBC.

Merlin presents a different look at the younger days of the legendary fictional sorcerer. The series stars Colin Morgan, Angel Coulby, Bradley James, Katie McGrath, Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt (as the voice of the dragon).

The fantasy show ran on NBC during the summer of 2009 but was cancelled due to low ratings. Happily for fans, season two surfaced this summer on Syfy, the niche cable channel that’s also owned by NBC-Universal. It performed well enough on Syfy to be renewed for a third season back in August. Season three has begun airing overseas and is expected to begin airing on Syfy in early 2011.

The BBC has now commissioned a fourth season of Merlin. It will be made up of only 10 episodes versus the typical 13 installment order. It’s unknown if this may be an indication that interest in the series is beginning to cool. Filming is due to get underway in Wales and France in March 2011 and episodes are expected to air in 2012.

Of the pick-up, FremantleMedia Enterprises Global CEO David Ellender said, “With Merlin now in 183 countries and a fourth (season) under way, it is a truly global brand.”

Ben Stephenson, the controller of drama commissioning, said, “Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor and offers audiences an alternative treat on Saturday nights.”

There’s no word if Syfy will decide to air the fourth season when it becomes available. That decision will most likely be made after Syfy execs see how season three performs.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Merlin’s been renewed? Do you want Syfy to air it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

159 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Marie says

Hi, I enjoy watching Merlin. I hope it stays on for a very long time. We here in the caribbean love this show.

2. Zoey says

My family and myself LOVE the TV series Merlin. Its entertains you and allows you to be a part of the 1 hour of fantasy. To bad they cancelled Camelot, It was fun too!

3. Lorisa says

I love the series. They need to make more than just 1 more season. Reality tv sucks and it goes on forever. The soaps on forever, they suck. The tv series Firefly Canceled wonderful series. Made a movie Serenity wonderful movie. …….. Yet they keep the crap TV and cancel a great program.

4. Andrea says

I’ve been watching Merlin since NBC put it season 1 on Sunday night. I now have season 1 & 2. I stream netfix and so I was able to watch the 3rd season which was very exiting. I hope they do more than 4 seasons. I really like the show and the actors

5. Stacy says

This show is great!! Of course no one watches it during the summer time!! I would love to see a season 4!! it was like watching a movie every episode!!!

6. Dawn says

Discovered Merlin on our Netflix account, the whole family absolutely loves this program. Can’t wait until new episodes are available!!!

7. Sandra says

We love the show and want it to come back!!!!!!!!!!! It has a little of everything to please anybody who watches the show .