Merlin: Syfy Renews BBC TV Show for Season Three

MerlinIt’s the news that fans of Merlin have been waiting for. Syfy isn’t repeating NBC’s decision to cancel Merlin after one season.

Like Smallville, Merlin presents a new look at the younger days of a legendary fictional character. The series stars Colin Morgan, Angel Coulby, Bradley James, Katie McGrath, Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt.

As you may recall, NBC ran the first season of the BBC program last summer. The ratings weren’t very good so they cancelled Merlin. Fortunately, the program moved to another NBC-Universal company for season two.

Season two of the fantasy series ran on Syfy from April until early July and attracted an average of 1.7 million viewers. That’s good enough for the cable channel to want to renew the show for season three.

Of the news, Merlin creator/executive producer Johnny Capps said, “We are thrilled that Syfy will be broadcasting the third series of Merlin… The upcoming season will add an exciting new twist to Merlin’s ongoing struggle to protect Prince Arthur, as well as thrilling audiences with bigger and bolder action sequences, stunning CGI monsters, mysterious villains and comic fun for all the family.”

The BBC had already ordered a third season of 13 episodes last December. Filming reportedly got underway in Wales in March.

There are no specific dates yet but it’s expected that season three of Merlin will begin airing in the UK in the latter part of 2010 and pop up on Syfy in early 2011. No word on the release of season two on DVD.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Merlin is returning to Syfy for season three?

gillian guest November 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I love the show, the only fault is Angel Colby (Guinevere). I find her terribly wrong for the part, she adds nothing to the show but is a distraction.

FAN OF SHOW November 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm

It is a good show. Glad to see SY-FY putting something on besides the WWE.

Barb and Dawn October 30, 2010 at 5:39 pm

We are so happy that Merlin has been renewed. We can’t wait for Season 3 to start on SyFy. However, until then, we will get a jumpstart and watch it online! So excited!!!

Dodie Tolbert October 29, 2010 at 10:45 am

This was a great show, different then all the cop show on tv today. I am really glad there is a season 3 coming in 2011. Please post the upcoming date soon.

Thanks

HELEN BURNS October 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Merlin is one of my favorite shows. I missed the first half of last season because I didn’t know it had moved to Syfy. However, I did manage to catch up during the marathon. This is a great show! There are way too many crime shows & reality shows on t.v. now. Merlin is a pleasant alternative.

edith brown October 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

So happy to it’s coming back to SYFI I’m 75 year old Great Grandmother and I Have the whole family watching this great show.

Terry October 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I and my husband are hooked on Merlin. So glad it is coming back.

David B. October 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Hell Yeah! I’m so glad there will be a season 3, Ijust wish there could be a season 4 & 5 as well. It’s a great show and I’ll miss it.

Kim October 18, 2010 at 11:56 am

I love this show!! Is it ending after season 3?

admin October 18, 2010 at 8:39 pm

@Kim: No one has said that.

Shirley Lee October 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm

As a senior of 64 years, I can’t believe how excitng this series is to me. I am truly looking to the new season. I wish they would run some oth the 2nd season shows.!

Taylor October 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Yes because i love merlin and i hope they air it until the ending!!!

Larry September 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Love this show, it has everything I”ve been looking for, action, great actors, great stories, very very interesting. Thanks SyFy…..looking forward to the 3rd season, wish it was now…..

Max September 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I Love BBC and SYFY, For the curage to bring back MERLIN, I’ts one of the most enteresting, keeps your attention, great actors, stories….I’ve seen in a long time..just a great tv show…THANKS AND PLEASE KEEP IT GOING.

Brenda Jordan September 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I am so happy that Merlin will be returning..It keeps me glued to my seat in front of the tv…that’s an accomplishment!

Nancy L September 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I,for one, am really pleased to see that Merlin is returning for a third season. We really enjoy the characters Merlin, Gais (sp), Arthur and all of the others. It will be interesting to see how things progress with the dragon, or rather, the lack of the dragon. Keep up the tale, we sure look forward to the return of Merlin!

Mark September 26, 2010 at 6:48 am

A lot of people I know watch historical shows so that they don’t have to see ethnic faces. Angel Coulby needs to go.

Diane Hulsey October 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I can’t get enough of Merlin, it is the best show on television. Please post the date of the release of season 2 on DVD and when does season 3 start on syfy!!!!!