Merlin: BBC One Renews Supernatural Series for Season Three; Will NBC Air It?

MerlinAs Merlin wraps up its second season on the air in the UK, the cast and crew have received some good news. They’ll be going back to work for a third round of episodes.

Merlin tells the story of the legendary wizard’s early adulthood, living in the court of King Uther, Arthur’s father. The series features Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head as King Uther, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Gwen, Richard Wilson as Gaius, and John Hurt as the voice of the Great Dragon.

In the UK, the ratings were strong enough for BBC One to renew Merlin for a second season back in December 2008. Season two began airing in September 2009 and will finish on December 19th. While viewership has dropped a bit, the ratings are high enough for BBC One to greenlight a third season.

In a statement, Controller Drama Commissioning Ben Stephenson said, “With its mix of magic, adventure and humour, Merlin is perfect Saturday-evening family television, and we are thrilled that Shine Television will be creating a new series for BBC One. I’m looking forward to seeing what adventures our popular young wizard, and his friends in Camelot, will go on in series three.”

Would you buy Merlin on DVD?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Johnny Capps, Executive Producer of Shine Television (which produces the show), added, “Merlin is ready to burst back onto BBC One with more action, romance and, of course, magic to delight fans of all ages. After the thrilling finale of the current series audiences will be left wondering what happens next — and with so many of Merlin and Arthur’s adventures yet to unfold, we can’t wait to continue the story.”

Unfortunately, it’s still up in the air as to when or if the second or third season of Merlin will be shown in the US. An NBC network spokesperson tells us that the network has yet to make a decision on whether they will air another season. The ratings for season one weren’t very strong so, realistically, the chances don’t look all that good.

If NBC decides to air season two of Merlin, the series probably won’t come back until next summer, at the earliest.

If NBC doesn’t want it, the series could be picked up by another outlet. Or, at the very least, fans will eventually be able to purchase season DVDs. The first season has already been released in the UK and will no doubt be released in the US.

What do you think? Would you like to see NBC air the second and third seasons of Merlin? Would you buy them on DVD?

Margie Seastrand August 2, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Please, please, please bring it back to the US. We love it! We are waiting for the third season and don’t want it to stop. What a great family show!

linda August 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm

definitely love this show. watched every sunday in australia and hope to see it here

risquin August 1, 2010 at 10:41 am

i want to buy merlin season one and two on dvd in a US (NTSC) format so it is compatable with my player. i have found and bought season one but where can i buy SEASON TWO? please help, thanks
Risquin

admin August 1, 2010 at 7:09 pm

@risquin: It hasn’t been released on DVD yet.

star379 July 31, 2010 at 5:17 am

i hope that nbc airs it. if not then syfy should defently air it. i watch season 1 on netflix and then season 2 on megavido. i can not wate for season 3 to air on syfy or nbc. If they do not air merlin on ether one of the chanels then i have to wate intill it comes out on DvD. i also hope that arthur and gwen get together behide uthers back.

AYA July 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Can’t wait for season 3!!! I especialy love the romance!!!!!!! MORE ARTHUR AND MORE GWEN PLEASEEEEEEE:)

aya July 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Can’t wait for season 3!!! I especialy love the romance!!!!!!! MORE ARTHUR AND GWEN PLEASEEEEEEE:)

Laura Gleason July 29, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I have been watching Merlin from netflix and have become very interested in this show. Can anyone tell me when it is on?

tkt808 July 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm

YES…I would definitely like to see it aired on NBC. If not, at least on another network so I can watch it. I was lucky enough to find it by accident on SyFy and was able to DVR all the episodes. I love this show!

Kyrra Williams July 25, 2010 at 12:12 am

Merlin is by far one of the best television series i’ve ever watched! I hope that it continues to air and grow in the U.S.

DVZ July 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

This is a great family show, too bad NBC didn’t stink with it, but glad SCI FI did. Hope to see it return in the Fall.

Maryann Prekel July 21, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I absolutely love this series!!!!!! I have all Harry Poter, 8 Season of Charmed and the 1st season of Merlin anxiously awaiting season 2 DVD set. Please please keep renewing this series. I am so tired of some of the furistic type series!!! I have reality, I love fantasy and magic for stress relief!!!!!! Love the entire cast. What a brilliant job everyone connected with this show has done! I recommend it to everyone I know and all my friends love it as well!!!
Thanks for all viewing pleasure you have given to me and everyone else! Maryann Prekel, Ohio, USA

Jhonatan cruz Nicolas July 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm

ESTAS SERIES SON MUY BUNAS ESPERO QUE TENGAS UNA TERCERA TEMPORADA ESTARE DISPUESTO A COMPRARLA ESPERO QUE SEA TAN BUENA COMOS LAS OTRAS TEMPORADAS.

BFrank July 19, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Merlin is an outstanding series. Something the entire family can watch, what a concept in today’s chaotic world. It would be a shame to lose such an entertaining and creatively intelligent work of art to the multitude of shallow productions laughingly called “reality tv.”

Leslie July 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

Merlin is fantastic! Please show the 3rd series!

Carol July 19, 2010 at 7:11 am

I loved the series and hope to see more.