Merlin: BBC One Renews Supernatural Series for Season Three; Will NBC Air It?

MerlinAs Merlin wraps up its second season on the air in the UK, the cast and crew have received some good news. They’ll be going back to work for a third round of episodes.

Merlin tells the story of the legendary wizard’s early adulthood, living in the court of King Uther, Arthur’s father. The series features Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head as King Uther, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Gwen, Richard Wilson as Gaius, and John Hurt as the voice of the Great Dragon.

In the UK, the ratings were strong enough for BBC One to renew Merlin for a second season back in December 2008. Season two began airing in September 2009 and will finish on December 19th. While viewership has dropped a bit, the ratings are high enough for BBC One to greenlight a third season.

In a statement, Controller Drama Commissioning Ben Stephenson said, “With its mix of magic, adventure and humour, Merlin is perfect Saturday-evening family television, and we are thrilled that Shine Television will be creating a new series for BBC One. I’m looking forward to seeing what adventures our popular young wizard, and his friends in Camelot, will go on in series three.”

Would you buy Merlin on DVD?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Johnny Capps, Executive Producer of Shine Television (which produces the show), added, “Merlin is ready to burst back onto BBC One with more action, romance and, of course, magic to delight fans of all ages. After the thrilling finale of the current series audiences will be left wondering what happens next — and with so many of Merlin and Arthur’s adventures yet to unfold, we can’t wait to continue the story.”

Unfortunately, it’s still up in the air as to when or if the second or third season of Merlin will be shown in the US. An NBC network spokesperson tells us that the network has yet to make a decision on whether they will air another season. The ratings for season one weren’t very strong so, realistically, the chances don’t look all that good.

If NBC decides to air season two of Merlin, the series probably won’t come back until next summer, at the earliest.

If NBC doesn’t want it, the series could be picked up by another outlet. Or, at the very least, fans will eventually be able to purchase season DVDs. The first season has already been released in the UK and will no doubt be released in the US.

What do you think? Would you like to see NBC air the second and third seasons of Merlin? Would you buy them on DVD?

Canceled and renewed TV show

241 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jamie says

I am from Australia and I have fallen in love with Merlin from day one; I cannot wait to see season 4!! The show is very entertaining; I love how they have modernised it by making Merlin & Arthur friends of the same age and most definitely there is a great connection between these two characters, the actors do a superb job & I laugh so much. I am always keen to watch it, the show is like a really good book that I can’t put down, thank you! Look forward to all to come :)

2. maria says

I would like to know what is going on w/NBC first Heros not Merlin. This is so SAD. When Heros got cancelled, I refused to watch anything on NBC. And I did.LOL
    I got to watch Merlin on Hulu,but there is no season 3 yet. CastTV has it thought. So hopefully I get to watch the ending of SOMETHING.

3. Illianez says

I definitely feel Merlin should come on in the US. We loved the show and I am sure if NBC does not pick it up another network here would. I have watched all the seasons as they gave them in the UK and I would definitely buy the DVD. When does season 4 start and do we have to wait forever again for it to begin.

4. lexie says

for anyone in america that wants to watch merlin go to blinkx.com then click t.v and type in merlin thats how i watch it and they put it in there the day after it shows in england hope it will help for all the merlin deprived fans out there 😉

5. jack says

to nbc., you idiots!!! what a marvelous series…you put it on tv very late on saturday nites up against some pretty tough competition and still drew a nice crowd…get rid of 2 and half men and other sitcoms that have run far too long and broadcast this series…its like a classic disney and will always be a treasure in dvd for families in the future.., im waiting for the dvd’s to buy as i already bought the first season and not just the children but many of my adult friends enjoyed it., story line., special effects and acting is superb., it could be another harry potter. get it back on or i for one wont watch much of nbc in the future……critics…., what a pain in the a—–….

6. Jeremy says

Please keep this show going!!! The seasons are getting progressively more intense and I find myself wanting the week to pass by faster just so that I can see what will happen next! This show is amazing, bring on season 4!!!

7. says

YES plz put the series back on Merlin was very enjoyable to watch and looking forward for season 3, 4, etc it is a good program and actors are great!!!!!!!!!!1

8. Richm says

I have really enjoyed merlin season 1 and I am waiting for season 2 and three or more. It’s a good show we even discuss the episods in the office the day after it plays. Please keep it running. It’s a relly fun show and look forwar to it each week. There is enogh humor, history and yes a little capiness for it to be a fun experience. Don’t cncell it. Have a conventon like the
    Star Trek fans.

+o

9. christine says

I love Merlin nbc does not know a good show if it hit them on the head instead they show crap like blank my dad says no wonder no one watches any of there shows they stink

10. says

Can’t wait for season three to be played here in the states. I know alot of people are waitng for it…any news on when it will air, or if i can watch it through streaming video? I tried BBC and it is not available for Streaming video in the states….just can’t wait GREAT SERIES!

11. Danique says

Hi,

I come from the Netherlands.
    I like the serie so much! But i have to wait a week longer for the next episode than you…
    (I must wait for the Netherlands subtitles…) But i can’t wait for episode 3!
    I love merlin!!!:D