Merlin: BBC Orders Season Five; Will Syfy Renew It Too?

Merlin panel at Comic Con, season fiveThe fantasy series may have been cancelled by NBC after one season but Merlin continues to be a big success elsewhere. The BBC ordered a fourth season (series) late last year. It’s currently being filmed and will debut in the UK this fall. Last week, Syfy officially announced that season four of Merlin would air here in the States in early 2012.

Now, it’s been announced that Merlin has been renewed for a fifth season overseas. Production on this new round of 13 episodes will go into production in March 2012. We’ll likely have to wait until Syfy sees how well season four performs before licensing number five.

Here’s the official press release:

FREMANTLEMEDIA ENTERPRISES ANNOUNCES MAGICAL FIFTH SEASON COMMISSION FOR MERLIN AT COMIC-CON SAN DIEGO

San Diego, CA – July 24, 2011 – It was today announced by FremantleMedia Enterprises (FME) that hit television show MERLIN, produced and created by Shine TV, has been commissioned for a fifth season by the BBC. The news was revealed during a special MERLIN panel at Comic-Con International panel on Sunday, July 24 that featured cast members Anthony Head, Bradley James, Katie McGrath and Colin Morgan, and executive producers and co-creators Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy.

MERLIN airs on Syfy in the United States. Season four will premiere in early 2012.

MERLIN’s success and popularity continues to flourish across the globe, FME, who has invested in the fifth season of MERLIN alongside UK broadcaster BBC One, has now sold MERLIN to over 52 broadcasters in more than 183 countries including Syfy (USA), RTL (Germany), Disney (South America), Canal + (France) and Network 10 (Australia).
David Ellender, Global CEO, FME commented, “With MERLIN now in 183 countries and both a fourth and fifth season underway, it is a truly global brand. Consistent audience figures in each territory, a strong international fan base and a fantastic cast further cement its cross generational appeal. We are continuing to work with the best broadcasters, producers and licensing partners on this brand and look forward to its on-going success.”

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, executive producers for Shine TV, said: “We are both delighted to have a fifth season commissioned and thrilled with the worldwide success of MERLIN. We have some fantastic ideas in mind for the next stage of the journey and relish the chance to take the program to the next level!”

The fourth season of the fantasy drama, which is currently being filmed in Pierrefonds, France and Cardiff, Wales, will begin airing in Autumn 2011 on BBC One in the UK, and in early 2012 on Syfy in the US. The third season, which was broadcast in winter 2010, pulled in the highest UK ratings for the drama so far, with a weekly average of over 6 million viewers and a total of 24.3% share of the audience.

Launched in 2008, MERLIN tells the story of young Merlin in Camelot as he comes to grips with his powers and destiny. The epic fourth season of MERLIN sees Camelot on the brink of a Golden Age as the familiar blend of magic, mystery and action adventure returns. With Morgana now a dangerous outcast, Merlin must use all his power to ensure that Arthur fulfils his destiny as the Once and Future King. No further details about plot or characters have been revealed yet for the fifth season.

MERLIN stars Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head as King Uther, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Gwen, Richard Wilson as Gaius and John Hurt as the voice of the Great Dragon. Seasons three and four have seen a host of high-profile guest-stars including: Emilia Fox, Tom Ellis, Miriam Margoyles, Warwick Davies, Nathaniel Parker and Pauline Collins.

FremantleMedia Enterprises holds the exclusive distribution rights (excluding UK), home entertainment and licensing rights to The Adventures of Merlin. FME has secured licensing rights to produce numerous multi-territory brand extensions including a publishing and figurines range, experiential events and consumer promotions.

MERLIN is made for BBC Cymru Wales by award-winning executive producers Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy from Shine Television, with Bethan Jones as executive producer for the BBC.

The new 13 episodes of Season 5 will start filming in Wales and Pierrefonds, France in March 2012.

What do you think? Glad to hear the Merlin has been renewed? Do you want Syfy to air it too?

scarlet April 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm

ooooh plz renew it Syfy, i dont want to have to track the episodes down online x_x

Ellen April 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Please renew Merlin!!! We watch this show As a family– we all love it!

silky April 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

OMG I really really really love this show… merlin needs to be back …

PLEASE SYFY BRING MERLINSEASON 5!!!!!!!!

Lenda Andrews April 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I’ve watched every one of the episodes from season 1 though 4 of Merlin. I was heart broke tonight when I turned on the TV and NO MERLIN. I’m so scared I’ll miss the first of season 5. When will it air in the United States.

Holly April 4, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Please re new season 5 !! There is not much good on TV now a days . Need a fantasy that is not horror to watch . My husband and I both love Merlin

Bill March 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Its been a long time since I have been so drawn to a T.V. show. It has drama, and a lot of heart!
It is the excellent acting, writing and directors have made this show come to life. I can’t wait to see the day Arthur discovers that Merlin is a great magician. I want to see them together with power and magic working together giving us a what we have long waited to see. Them both working together as their true selves.

linda March 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My husband and I watch this good clean entertainment. I hope the Syfy network has the sense to renew this program. I’m sick of the low moral , low budget and poor acting in the so called “reality shows”. We only watch a few well done shows and “Merlin” is one of the best. We never watch any of the reality shows, what phonies.

Jeannie March 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I agree with some earlier posts.. when they said next week is the season finale I was so disapointed. For whatever reason this show works! The actors are wonderful and the writing is excellent. Please please bring us season five too.

karen March 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I love the show Merlin. It is a show that uses your imagination on what is going to happen next! I look forward to season 5. I hope Syfy renews this fantastic show!

Gloria March 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I love Merlin and can’t wait for Season 5!

brandy March 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

LOVE MERLIN!! It’s my favourite science fiction show. I Hope season 5 will continue on SYFY in the US. Please!

Shelbi from Ohio March 21, 2012 at 5:15 pm

When Merlin was cancelled on NBC, I was shocked and then SyFy picked it up. Needless to say that I was very pleased and I look forward to watching it weekly, Merlin is one of my guilty pleasures, it would sorely be missed if not renewed and then I will always wonder what is going on in this weeks episode on the BBC. I truely believe that this is one show that I would never tire of.

Jim from Iowa March 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Merlin is the one show that I even care to watch. The cast is perfect, the stories are fun, and the show is creative. Keep it running for many more years!

Debbie in California March 19, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I Love watching Merlin and look forward to finally getting to see it each week. I absolutely would love to have SyFy show more of Merlin. It’s a joy to watch.

m March 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

SYfY Channel PLEASE renew Merlin for Season 5!!! Its the best program going for every category! We love it andwould not miss it! Please continue the saga! Great acting!Colin is awesome!

Claudia March 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Merlin is one of our favorite shows. One of the FEW shows that my husband and I both enjoy. We look forward to it every week. When they announced that the show following next weeks shows was the finale, I almost cried. We are senior citizens, and we love it because it is a clean show with no cussing or R rated garbage.

SYFY……PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE bring us season five.