Merlin

MerlinNetwork: NBC, Syfy
Episodes: 65 (hour)
Seasons: Five

TV show dates: June 21, 2009 – May 31, 2013
Series status: Ended

Performers include: Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Anthony Head, John Hurt, Richard Wilson, Katie McGrath, Angel Coulby, Michelle Ryan, Caroline Faber, Michael Cronin, David Durham, Gary Oliver, Rick English, and Ed Coleman.

merlin past TV show

TV show description:
A drama series that brings a new take to the story of Merlin (Colin Morgan), the sorcerer of Arthurian legend.

In this version, the mythical kingdom of Camelot is a fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious people, a dangerous world where magic has been banned by the stern and protective king, Uther Pendragon (Anthony Stewart Head).

When Merlin, a young man gifted with extraordinary magical powers, arrives in the kingdom, he quickly makes enemies — including the heir to Uther’s crown, headstrong Prince Arthur (Bradley James). Guided by Uther’s wise physician Gaius (Richard Wilson) and The Great Dragon (voiced by John Hurt), Merlin begins use his talents to unlock Camelot’s numerous mystical secrets. As he does so, he discovers that his destiny and that of Arthur, the kingdom’s young leader in waiting, are inextricably linked. Merlin becomes Arthur’s servant and begins to bond with the Prince

Morgana (Katie McGrath) is the daughter of Uther’s deceased best friend, and now the King’s ward. Despite their class differences, she is best friends with her servant girl, Gwen (Angel Coulby). Though Gwen generally has an open and friendly personality, she occasionally butts heads with Arthur.

Meanwhile, Nimueh (Michelle Ryan), a beautiful and powerful sorceress, is bent on destroying Uther, Arthur, and restoring magic to Camelot.

space

Series Finale

Episode #65 – The Diamond of the Day (part 2)
Merlin escapes the Crystal Cave after regaining his magic. He travels to Camlann and uses his powers to help defeat Morgana’s troops. During the battle, Mordred gives Arthur a fatal wound but Arthur gives him one of his own. As Arthur lays dying, Merlin confesses to his friend that he is a sorcerer and to save him, they must travel to Avalon.

In Camelot, Morgana’s spy is discovered and hanged. Sirs Gwaine and Percival hunt down Morgana. She overpowers them and tortures Gwaine to death, but not before she extracts Arthur’s location from him.

Morgana reaches Merlin and Arthur and attacks them. Wielding Excalibur (which was forged in Dragon’s breath), Merlin kills her but, even with the help of The Great Dragon, does not get Arthur to the island in time. Arthur thanks Merlin for his friendship and loyalty — and then dies in his arms.

The Great Dragon confirms that Arthur is dead. Merlin realizes his destiny is to protect the King’s resting place. He throws Excalibur into the waters of Avalon and then sends Arthur’s body after it.

Guinevere ascends the throne of Camelot and Gaius becomes her mentor. Merlin waits by Avalon for the rise of Arthur. In the present day, we see that an immortal Merlin is still waiting for his friend Arthur to rise again — as the “Once and Future King” is destined to do when Albion’s need is greatest.
First aired: May 31, 2013

space
What do you think? Do you like the Merlin TV series? Do you think it should have ended or continued for a sixth season?

Kay March 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I’m disappointed that it has been canceled and ended in such a manner. They could have at least ended with Merlin revealing his magic to Arthur and Arthur accepting magic in his kingdom.

Eileen March 15, 2013 at 11:33 am

Please don’t cancel Merlin. The only clean, enjoyable show out there.

Pen March 3, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Merlin is a great show that I look forward to watching every week. Please rethink this!!

peggy sue March 3, 2013 at 3:25 am

So sad to hear the show is ending. Especially since there are still some things that need sorting out! The story wasn’t done! I too cant stand the unscripted crap reality shows. Lazy tv full of obnoxious extreme badly behaved boring ppl. No Heroes there. No bigger stories there. Just cheap tv. No world of mystery & magic. No reason to tune in.

DJ February 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

I started watching this show during a Merlin marathon one year and was hooked.
I’ll be sorry to see it go, hopefully it will be replaced with some quality entertainment and not one of those crap reality shows that seem to be on every channel.
This season though, I think that the writers have already quit…
Every episode is Morgana, Morgana, Morgana.
What happened to the Black Knights coming to Camelot for the tornanment.
and for that matter where’s the Dragon?

Karyn February 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Don’t cancel Merlin!!! My entire family actually agree this is the best show ever!!!

C sib February 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm

In a world filled with heartache, debt, and dissapointment, it’s a nice change to escape to a fantastical world that deals with much of the same but in a very dynamic and exciting way. The stories are of serious matters with strong, raw emotion but adding a twist of whimsical humor. I just love Merlin’s character. He reminds me of me. Always trying to see the good in people but not afraid to defend the people he’s loyal to all costs. I will certainly miss it.

holly January 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Please keep Merlin going, one of the best shows I’ve watched. And I’m a big King Arthur fan.

Cheryl January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Best show on BBC, used to look forward to Saturday evenings. Sorry to see it go.

Anonymous January 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

Don’t cancel this show. It’s one of the few decent shows on tv. Bring my family show back!

Disappointed January 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm

You got to be KIDDING another good TV show taken off. What up with the TV producer ? No doubt replace it with a brainless so called reality show ( that not really reality) that take little thinking to produce and boring to even watch . The TV is flooded with these so called reality show . Its ni.ce to be able to watch a show that doesn’t look like a day time soap. Please rethink about taking Merlin off . It is entertaining

Kristin March 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Where is Merlin? It hasn’t been on for a few weeks. And I agree, this is a great show why is it being cancelled? I don’t watch reality TV and taking away quality will not make people who don’t like reality TV watch it. We’ll just read more.

karrie January 15, 2013 at 1:15 am

Love this show. Please don’t end/cancel. I just found it on netflicks yesterday and am already half way thru S. 1. Advertise more on tv or something.

Peggy January 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Love this show, I want it to keep on with the stories !!!

shirley January 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I do not want this series to end.I look forward to watching it weekly, and look forward to it’s return when it goes off for the season. my daughter will be sending the same message shortly. It’s a great wholesome family series,and there are too few of .this kind of programs on cable. whatever you replace Merlin with, I for one will not watch. please do not take Merlin off the air, or if you do will it be shown on another station.

usman ladan January 5, 2013 at 9:13 am

NoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOooooooooooo. Please don’t cancil my best show merlin.