Mike & Molly: Big New TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Mike & MollyLast May, CBS announced a bold move, to take their hit The Big Bang Theory off of the Monday night schedule and shift it to Thursdays, to take on NBC’s traditional night of comedy. In its place, the programmers put another show co-created by Chuck Lorre, the creator of Two and a Half Men. On paper, it sounds like a brilliant move. Now that the Mike & Molly’s premiered, how do things look?

Mike & Molly follows Officer Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), a fourth grade teacher. They meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and soon fall for one another. Others in the cast are Reno Wilson, Nyambi Nyambi, Katy Mixon, and Swoosie Kurtz.

The new sitcom debuted to a 3.9 rating in the prized 18-49 demographic and 12.2 million total viewers. That was enough to tie with NBC’s The Event for second place in the demo and have the second most number of viewers.

What do you think of Mike & Molly?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Historically, the CBS sitcoms who get the post-Two and a Half Men timeslot have done very well. CBS has high expectations however and has ended up cancelling several sitcoms that performed okay on this night. While the sitcom has good initial numbers, it’s not a positive sign that Mike & Molly lost 20% of the lead-in’s demo audience. Last year, Big Bang Theory was building on the lead-in and frequently outperformed Men in the demo.

There was a loss of about 7% of the audience midway through the Mike & Molly first episode so its seems likely those people won’t be back next week. It remains to be seen how many people will. This is a show whose fate will likely be decided over the next several weeks. Right now, things could go either way. Some critics and viewers have wondered how long it will be before the show runs out of material.

What do you think? Is Mike & Molly worth watching? Did you find the fat jokes offensive? Would you cancel or keep it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

277 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Julayne Grice says

Keep Mike and Molly!!! The whole cast is perfectly blended. Nice to have a program without “blood andguts”. It makes me laugh out loud.

2. says

This is an excellent show. It is a show that can really make a person laugh. Its really hard to find a show that actually has comedy in it. Please don’t take it off the air.

3. A Risdorfer says

I love this show. I schedule meetings ( I have a global job) so that I rrserve the time slot so that I can watch it. I love the courtship of Muke and Molly and Mike’s mother is funny as hell.

4. robin says

Mike and Molly is the only show that makes my husband and I actually laugh out loud. Please don’t cancel it. We love it.

5. dj says

Mike and Molly is terrible. It makes obesity out to be a joke. Obesity is a disease, and theses writers make a joke out of it. The best new comedy award went to $..! my dad says. Kick mike and molly to the curb its a discrace!

6. patricia dudley says

Mike and Molly is the funniest show I have watch next to Two and a Half Men ..Everyone of them on m&m is awesome . I wish more people would give it a chance .. please if you havent watched it, watch it. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT.

7. Leslie Glickman says

Mike & Molly were funny in the beginning. Now the Mother, Sister and boyfriend are so gross, the show is not worth watching. Mike’s partner is funny and the guy in the restaurant is too. You do not need to be that graphic to be funny!!

8. Michael Giaccone says

I think Mike & Molly is a very funny show. The cast really mesh with each other. I fall in tredistion with King of Queens, Raymond ect. Just give it time, it will grow on you…

9. Joan says

Mike and Molly is the best show to come along in a great while. The cast is GREAT! They all ” mesh” like friends. It realy IS a great show. The “inuendos ” are so funny, and the dialog is perfect, the acting is real. GREAT show. KEEP IT ON!!!!