Mike & Molly: Big New TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Mike & MollyLast May, CBS announced a bold move, to take their hit The Big Bang Theory off of the Monday night schedule and shift it to Thursdays, to take on NBC’s traditional night of comedy. In its place, the programmers put another show co-created by Chuck Lorre, the creator of Two and a Half Men. On paper, it sounds like a brilliant move. Now that the Mike & Molly’s premiered, how do things look?

Mike & Molly follows Officer Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), a fourth grade teacher. They meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and soon fall for one another. Others in the cast are Reno Wilson, Nyambi Nyambi, Katy Mixon, and Swoosie Kurtz.

The new sitcom debuted to a 3.9 rating in the prized 18-49 demographic and 12.2 million total viewers. That was enough to tie with NBC’s The Event for second place in the demo and have the second most number of viewers.

What do you think of Mike & Molly?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Historically, the CBS sitcoms who get the post-Two and a Half Men timeslot have done very well. CBS has high expectations however and has ended up cancelling several sitcoms that performed okay on this night. While the sitcom has good initial numbers, it’s not a positive sign that Mike & Molly lost 20% of the lead-in’s demo audience. Last year, Big Bang Theory was building on the lead-in and frequently outperformed Men in the demo.

There was a loss of about 7% of the audience midway through the Mike & Molly first episode so its seems likely those people won’t be back next week. It remains to be seen how many people will. This is a show whose fate will likely be decided over the next several weeks. Right now, things could go either way. Some critics and viewers have wondered how long it will be before the show runs out of material.

What do you think? Is Mike & Molly worth watching? Did you find the fat jokes offensive? Would you cancel or keep it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

277 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. cherylann says

love the show mike and molly should move to 9pm slot since two and a half men is nothing but reruns since charlie went on the deep end… mike and molly is funnier anyway….

2. Paul says

The Mike and Molly tv series shows the brilliance of Producer Chuck Lorre, and the writing staff!! This is a FUNNY, FUNNY show!! It’s ALL in the writing!!! The actors are great in their craft, but the show is funny BECAUSE of the WRITING!! DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!

3. Mike and Sue says

We love the show. Have from the start. We talk about it at work all the time. The cast is great! Especially Carl! Would be a shame if it was cancelled. Seems they cancel all the really good shows. Let this one go on awhile and get rid of some of the stale ones. Don’t screw this one up people!

4. luis Renato Reyes del Rios says

please donĀ“t cancel the show, I am from bolivia, I am a husband and father and I was under to much stress because I am fat, fighting and fighting with diets and things like that. I no longer do that, since I watch the show. it help me to accept myself, I still need to lose weight, and I will continuo with helthy food, but my self esteem is way much better, I feel sexy for my wife and my daugther love to jump on my belly, I feel confident in bed and so does my wife is happy acctualy very happy with my acctitud now. God Bless Gardell and Mccarthy

5. Barbara Hawver says

Originally I enjoyed the show. The last sever episodes I have found offensive, especially the mother’s boyfriend and the cops grandmother. The show has great potional except for these offensive remarks. I hope you go back to original format.

6. connie Thomas says

What agreat show…………………Real people, perfect cast…..and not a Lawyer or Cops and Robbers show…Thank God.

7. says

Love this show. When i talk about it at work i get everyone laughing. have had several people starting to watch also. it would be a shame to drop this show think it has a future for quite a few seasons.

8. Karen Vukovic says

We love Mike & Molly. We tape so we can watch the episodes again and again. When the DVDs come out we will be sure to buy them. No matter how many times we watch them we always laugh like we have not seen them before. All of the cast is wonderful. Love Mike’s mom and Vincent. Glad to see they will be regulars. Thanks for giving us such a fun show and thanks for not making it all about sex. We are in our sixties and this show is right for us and all ages.

9. Rich says

I like the show!!!!!!

I work second shift and DVR it to watch when I get home.

I would like to see it continue. It’s funny and the supporting cast works in well with the stars.
    The Mothers of both are crack-ups. The pot smoking sister is a scream and even Jim, the funny looking dog is perfect for this show.

KEEP IT GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. says

I LOVE MIKE & MOLLY WISH IT WAS AN HOUR NOT JUST 30 MINUTES!!!!!!! THEY ARE SO FUN TO WATCH THE ENTIRE CAST IS SO GREAT*************** I LOVE THE SHOW JUST TO SHORT~~~~~~~~