Mike & Molly: Big New TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Mike & MollyLast May, CBS announced a bold move, to take their hit The Big Bang Theory off of the Monday night schedule and shift it to Thursdays, to take on NBC’s traditional night of comedy. In its place, the programmers put another show co-created by Chuck Lorre, the creator of Two and a Half Men. On paper, it sounds like a brilliant move. Now that the Mike & Molly’s premiered, how do things look?

Mike & Molly follows Officer Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), a fourth grade teacher. They meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and soon fall for one another. Others in the cast are Reno Wilson, Nyambi Nyambi, Katy Mixon, and Swoosie Kurtz.

The new sitcom debuted to a 3.9 rating in the prized 18-49 demographic and 12.2 million total viewers. That was enough to tie with NBC’s The Event for second place in the demo and have the second most number of viewers.

What do you think of Mike & Molly?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Historically, the CBS sitcoms who get the post-Two and a Half Men timeslot have done very well. CBS has high expectations however and has ended up cancelling several sitcoms that performed okay on this night. While the sitcom has good initial numbers, it’s not a positive sign that Mike & Molly lost 20% of the lead-in’s demo audience. Last year, Big Bang Theory was building on the lead-in and frequently outperformed Men in the demo.

There was a loss of about 7% of the audience midway through the Mike & Molly first episode so its seems likely those people won’t be back next week. It remains to be seen how many people will. This is a show whose fate will likely be decided over the next several weeks. Right now, things could go either way. Some critics and viewers have wondered how long it will be before the show runs out of material.

What do you think? Is Mike & Molly worth watching? Did you find the fat jokes offensive? Would you cancel or keep it?

priscilla kish September 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Please keep Mike and Molly, love it !
Do not cancel !!!!!

Paulett Havens September 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

This is the funniest show on TV right now. You can laugh just watching the expressions on everyone’s face. Every character is funny. Pleae please do not cancel this show.

Nan September 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Love the show, the cast is great,fat or skinny they make me laughf.

Tina September 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love Mike and Molly! They remind me of my daughter and her husband. When they where dating. Please don’t take them off. A earlier time slot would be great!

Chrleen Giotopulos September 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP MIKE AND MOLLY ON THE AIR. IT IS THE FUNNIEST SHOW GOING AND THE CAST IS THE BEST. IN TODAY’S WORLD WE
NEED ALL THE LAUGHS WE CAN GET.

Betty Hager September 7, 2011 at 5:29 am

enjoy the show very much
hope to see it continue
so tired of reality shows and seems to not be much to watch and now you may take off a good show
a good laugh is good for the soul

Lynn August 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm

This show is hysterical! I watch it all the time. My vote is KEEP IT ON…..:-)))))

trixie August 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’ve been watching the show but last time I checked, marijuana possession is illegal and the stupid sister makes a joke of breaking the law by smoking in their house. Does the FCC know about it and if so, shouldn’t the show be cancelled? Molly was even involved with it last night and Mike, a police officer, seemed to make a joke out of it as well–what gives???

Anonymous September 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

clearly you have never smoked!

lisa August 2, 2011 at 8:17 am

KEEP THIS SHOW WAY TO FUNNY AND SO NICE IT IS NOT A REALITY SHOW.

Erika May 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I just love this show! It is so refreshing to watch a show that dosen’t have violence and has caracters that I can relate too. It’s a normal dysfunctional family that we all have! My favorite show is when Molly and her sister go dancing in the Gay bar. Also love the gaspel music that Nana sings she ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara May 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

I hope you do not cancel this funny, funny show. It is nice to see a show about ordinary people and not just skinny ones. The writing was wonderful and I loved all the characters and their relationships. It shows that even heavy people can find love and enjoy life. I am tired of all those reality shows. So please do not cancel Mike & Molly.

Ray May 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Cut this show’s throat. It is no longer funny.

Mary Barcomb May 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

This show is the “BEST” show on tv – it is so funny and it is nice to see a comedy on that is about just regular people – LIFE.
Thanks for this show – please keep it on.

Melinda April 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love the show! My whole family watches it together. I find the characters are endearing and funny. Please keep this show on the air!

Dione Ross April 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

Keep Mike and Molly! I appreciate a good laugh! I don’t care for Mike’s partner though, Carl, he seems annoying and unsupportive of Mike’s relationship with Molly. I love Grandma though!