Mike & Molly: Big New TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Mike & MollyLast May, CBS announced a bold move, to take their hit The Big Bang Theory off of the Monday night schedule and shift it to Thursdays, to take on NBC’s traditional night of comedy. In its place, the programmers put another show co-created by Chuck Lorre, the creator of Two and a Half Men. On paper, it sounds like a brilliant move. Now that the Mike & Molly’s premiered, how do things look?

Mike & Molly follows Officer Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), a fourth grade teacher. They meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and soon fall for one another. Others in the cast are Reno Wilson, Nyambi Nyambi, Katy Mixon, and Swoosie Kurtz.

The new sitcom debuted to a 3.9 rating in the prized 18-49 demographic and 12.2 million total viewers. That was enough to tie with NBC’s The Event for second place in the demo and have the second most number of viewers.

What do you think of Mike & Molly?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Historically, the CBS sitcoms who get the post-Two and a Half Men timeslot have done very well. CBS has high expectations however and has ended up cancelling several sitcoms that performed okay on this night. While the sitcom has good initial numbers, it’s not a positive sign that Mike & Molly lost 20% of the lead-in’s demo audience. Last year, Big Bang Theory was building on the lead-in and frequently outperformed Men in the demo.

There was a loss of about 7% of the audience midway through the Mike & Molly first episode so its seems likely those people won’t be back next week. It remains to be seen how many people will. This is a show whose fate will likely be decided over the next several weeks. Right now, things could go either way. Some critics and viewers have wondered how long it will be before the show runs out of material.

What do you think? Is Mike & Molly worth watching? Did you find the fat jokes offensive? Would you cancel or keep it?

judy hawkins September 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm

My husband and I love watching Mike and Molly, we have not been able to find it lately. Sure hope they keep it on, what a great show.

admin September 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

It returns mid-season.

debbie September 12, 2013 at 6:36 am

Can’t find Mike and Molly on t.v. this Fall. Did it get cancelled for the 2013 season?

admin September 12, 2013 at 7:17 am

No, it’s returning mid-season.

vicki twibell March 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm

PLEASE KEEP MIKE AND MOLLY ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crickett January 2, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I loved this sitcom when it first started…………..
I thought it was about a couple that met at a weight loss club and wanting to impress each other would lose the weigh………………..

Two years later we see two people that have gained 100 pounds each.
Please, do you think a police department would keep this man on as a person to protect and serve?

LOL LOL they want to have a baby? HOW? Unless his yohoo is six foot long, it will never happen….

JODEE September 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

I LOVE MIKE AND MOLLY—NEVER MISS A SHOW—WATCH IT EVERY WEEK. IT IS SO FUNNY, REAL AND REFRESHING. PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF THE AIR.

J. Shadduck September 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

Mike & Molly is the funniest sitcom on air right now, I’ve laughed until tears, & cried until laughs. I’d really hate it if this show was canceled. I look so foward in seeing this show (MIKE & MOLLY) every week that I Tivo it. Please, please don’t cancel.

Lori July 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I watched Mike and Molly last night July 24 and it was Catholic bashing unlimited. I found it offensive, turned it off, and will never watch that show again. Bet they wouldn’t do that to the Muslim religion in fear of death threats.

Anonymous November 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I wish they’d cancel it. Dumb jokes, dumb characters, obscene obsession with sex… why anybody would watch it is beyond me, unless, like me, they’re stuck with someone who for some unexplainable reason, actually like it.

Lisa Chastain October 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Mike and Molly is an awful show. It’s not at all funny and it’s only reason for being on tv is because its so politicully correct.

frankie September 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

please please please keep mike and molly on. i love it.

Anonymous September 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Please keep this show. It is great to have something to laugh about these days. Very funny.
Thank you.

Robin September 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

I love Mike and Molly. I laugh just like I do with Two and Half Men. Most of America is overweight, it is what it is…. Great Show. Keep it !

robin lucas September 19, 2011 at 8:47 am

I can’t believe you cancelled mike and molly!!! you should have canelled the big bang theory, I don’t get that show but mike and molly was cute show and on top of it melissa mc carthey won an emmy for it.

admin September 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

robin lucas ยป The show’s not cancelled. It returns 9/26.

Maria Elena September 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Please keep the show. It’s a show that my husband, my granddaughter, and I enjoy and can watch together. I love all the characters, especially Carl and Sam; and the grandma. I look forward to Monday nights just to watch Mike and Molly.

priscilla kish September 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Please keep Mike and Molly on, love it !