Missing: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

cancelled or season two Missing TV showEarlier this year, ABC introduced a thriller series called The River. It wasn’t a ratings success and will surely be cancelled later this month. Now, the network is trying an action show called Missing. Will this one fare any differently?

Missing follows Becca Winstone (Ashley Judd), a former CIA operative who’s made a new life for her herself as a single mother and a florist. She agrees to let her son Michael (Nick Eversman) study abroad but, a few weeks into his trip, he disappears and she suspects foul play. Becca arrives in Rome and begins piecing together the clues and it isn’t long before the kidnappers realize they’ve picked a fight with the wrong woman. The cast also includes Cliff Curtis, Tereza Voriskova, Adriano Giannini, and Sean Bean.

The series debuted on March 15th and attracted a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.6 million total viewers. That wasn’t a bad performance considering that Missing was airing opposite American Idol and the hyped return on NBC’s Community. CBS was airing a low-rated NCAA Basketball game instead of their usual sitcoms.

In week two, Missing dropped a whopping 24% in the demo and dropped to fourth place in the timeslot (beaten by Idol, Community, and more basketball) with a 1.6 rating and 8.81 million. In week three, the demo dropped another 6% and the show remained in fourth place.

Over the course of this season, Missing’s ratings have slowly dwindled further downward. In fact, the show’s demo numbers have never risen.

Should Missing be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s installment of Missing dropped another 14%, to a new series low, with a 1.2 in the demo and 6.32 million total viewers. It’s demo rating was tied for fourth place in the timeslot — with The CW’s Vampire Diaries.

When a series on a major network ties (or is beaten) by something airing on The CW, you know there’s a major problem.

Missing is currently ranked 21st out of 22 scripted ABC shows this season. It currently has a “D” grade on our ABC Ratings Report Card and is only outperforming Charlie’s Angels average — that was the remake that occupied the same timeslot and was cancelled last November.

Though ABC hasn’t said as much, there’s no chance that Missing will be renewed for a second season. The ratings are just too low — and they keep going lower.

On the positive side, there are only two episodes left in the season so it seems very likely that the network will let them both air before cancelling the show.

But, what do you think? Are you enjoying Missing? Is it worth renewing or should it have been cancelled awhile ago?

deborah sutton August 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I Love This Show .it is an Amazeing show so please bring it BACK….

Lynda Edwards August 27, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hi there

Please Please bring another series. Watched all eposides and looked forward to Monday nights just to watch this programme. Producers cant leave it just like they did last nite.

junemlynch August 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

i was shocked that the network would even consider canceling missing …i loved this series ….bring it back not competing with american idol and watch the rating!!!!!!!! it kept you on pins and needles and its up there with walking dead , breaking bad, and hell on wheels….stupid mistake to waste all that talent………it was awesome bring it back

Lyn Stewart August 27, 2012 at 4:08 am

Hi there, I am from New Zealand and is Monday 27th August 2012. We have just seen the last episode of Missing. What and ending and dissappointing to find that is the one and only series of this to be made. I am sure all New Zealanders would agree with me. Please whoever made this take it up again and let us know what happened to Becca and the rest of the cast. Fantastic show. Keep us posted.

Natasha August 27, 2012 at 3:32 am

Why would they stop missing!!! Not happy!!! Was my favorite show :(

terri August 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I loved missing. I was just checking to see when he premier was for september and now i see it may/or is cancelled.

It was a cliff hanger at the end of the season. I would love to keep it going to see what happens next.

Dawn August 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

PLEASE DON”T CANCEL MISSING..Asley Judd is amazing in this suspenceful TV thriller.. I looked forward everyweek to watch missing and if I couldn’t I recored it.. It’s the best Tv show out there..

Sandy August 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

I enjoyed Missing. I watched every Thursday and would watch it again ON Demand, just in case I missed something. They have to bring it back. Becca is now missing. You can’t just leave us hanging. BRING IT BACK!!!

Anell August 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Of course missing should be renewed for a second season! I love it and I’m sure many others think the way I do. I wpuld hate that the show would be cut off in the middle of the story. Totally unfair.

Harmodio August 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Missing is a action-filled triller that shows a big theme. It is amazing that not much people see this series because it is so interesting that you will want to see it all in one day. How can they leave the watchers just hanging, wanting to know what happened to Becca. The producers can make a awesome new season with the mistery of what happened to Becca.

Katelin Stroud August 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Missing should have kept going i hate the way it went off it was so interesting and then they just cut the show it has to come back on it was the best show.I watched it every Thursday it came on.

Katelin Stroud August 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I think Missing should have not been cancelled it was the best show. I watched it every Thursday it came on. And they just can’t cut the show off the way it went off was interesting and i would love to see what happened next.

sara arthon August 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Missing was so interesting and I hope to see the second season. I really thought Ashley Judd was great in the show.

Iowa Mom August 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Please DO NOT cancel missing. I love the edge of your seat suspense. I don’t know why the ratings were down are people crazy! They would rather watch Idol then a suspensful thriller!? I have been crazy wondering what happened to Becca! Please don’t do this! Bring it back my whole house and my mothers whole house love this show. I can’t beg enough!

pryscilla July 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

Missing should keep going it is awesome