Missing: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

cancelled or season two Missing TV showEarlier this year, ABC introduced a thriller series called The River. It wasn’t a ratings success and will surely be cancelled later this month. Now, the network is trying an action show called Missing. Will this one fare any differently?

Missing follows Becca Winstone (Ashley Judd), a former CIA operative who’s made a new life for her herself as a single mother and a florist. She agrees to let her son Michael (Nick Eversman) study abroad but, a few weeks into his trip, he disappears and she suspects foul play. Becca arrives in Rome and begins piecing together the clues and it isn’t long before the kidnappers realize they’ve picked a fight with the wrong woman. The cast also includes Cliff Curtis, Tereza Voriskova, Adriano Giannini, and Sean Bean.

The series debuted on March 15th and attracted a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.6 million total viewers. That wasn’t a bad performance considering that Missing was airing opposite American Idol and the hyped return on NBC’s Community. CBS was airing a low-rated NCAA Basketball game instead of their usual sitcoms.

In week two, Missing dropped a whopping 24% in the demo and dropped to fourth place in the timeslot (beaten by Idol, Community, and more basketball) with a 1.6 rating and 8.81 million. In week three, the demo dropped another 6% and the show remained in fourth place.

Over the course of this season, Missing’s ratings have slowly dwindled further downward. In fact, the show’s demo numbers have never risen.

Should Missing be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s installment of Missing dropped another 14%, to a new series low, with a 1.2 in the demo and 6.32 million total viewers. It’s demo rating was tied for fourth place in the timeslot — with The CW’s Vampire Diaries.

When a series on a major network ties (or is beaten) by something airing on The CW, you know there’s a major problem.

Missing is currently ranked 21st out of 22 scripted ABC shows this season. It currently has a “D” grade on our ABC Ratings Report Card and is only outperforming Charlie’s Angels average — that was the remake that occupied the same timeslot and was cancelled last November.

Though ABC hasn’t said as much, there’s no chance that Missing will be renewed for a second season. The ratings are just too low — and they keep going lower.

On the positive side, there are only two episodes left in the season so it seems very likely that the network will let them both air before cancelling the show.

But, what do you think? Are you enjoying Missing? Is it worth renewing or should it have been cancelled awhile ago?

misty November 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Please bring Missing back!!!!

Anonymous November 9, 2012 at 8:51 am

pliz bring back missing season two it was so very nice and we also want to find out what happened to ashley jude after she went missing.

MaryAnn November 9, 2012 at 6:28 am

I’m a huge Ashley Judd fan. I would love to see the series continue….I’m missing “MISSING”. The finale was open to another season. I also quit watching Idol to see this show.

rob November 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

bring missing back…bring missing back…bring missing back!!!!!!

Susan Proulx October 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Please bring missing back it was the best show of all.

JohnHibert October 27, 2012 at 5:24 am

I think ABC got there numbers mixed up and did not give the show a chance , look at the stupid shows on their schedule I would not waste my time flipping the channel to see their stupid shows, I never seen such garbage they put up against Missing ,they also forgot people have recorders because most of us work and cannot be there to watch em.I am sorry for ABC. They will never get ratings like CBS, with NCIS. Or Meantalist , because they do not give them a chance. I quite watching the ABC news and boycotted them because of what they did to Missing , I watch all CBS. Shows and love their shows thumbs down for ABC. In my household.

jerome zaha October 25, 2012 at 7:43 am

at least put season 2 (with a true ending) on dvd. even as a movie tv or straight to dvd. abc was wrong to end season one like that KNOWING they were cancelled! they knew they were being cancelled (or at least assumed) and yet they finished season one story and started season two’s storyline right after that. SHAME ON YOU ABC! the viewers deserve closure. or you might lose viewers!

Toni October 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It sucks!! I would love for season 2 to come back on. Where is the mother? It’s fustrating not knowing where she is. MISSING is a great show. Why did you have to spoil it by leaving it and finishing it. NOT HAPPY CHAPPY !!

linda October 21, 2012 at 6:01 am

I really liked Missing. I keep watching for the next series to start. I stopped watching American Idol for this show.

shars October 17, 2012 at 5:18 am

missing shud b renewed for season 2… it will make a comeback with high ratings!

Sue October 16, 2012 at 9:07 am

I have not read or watched mysteries in years because they were not “challenging” to me. Missing was an exceptionally written mystery that kept me “plugged in” intellectually, emotionally and physically. I literally watched from the edge of my seat each week. I planned my weekly schedule around that program. There has NEVER been a program that has kept me captivated as Missing. Every time I thought I knew which way it was going, it would take a surprising turn. I just cannot believe that it didn’t take off to first place in viewing like a rocket into space! Please reconsider. Thank you.

Parlina October 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So, what will happen to Becca then? I really want to know it!

Nick October 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I think that it should be a second season. You can’t just make a TV-show with just one season. That’s completely stupid. What about the people that actually liked and were watching Missing? Just going to ignore them? I think we should get Missing back. If we cant see it on television then we can watch it on the internet! So get a life! Get missing back.

Tammy October 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Please don’t cancel the show Missing, it was a great show I was looking forward to watching it every week. The characters and actors were spot on they did a tremendous job it would be a shame for you not to give it a fare shot in a differrent time slot, please rethink this before cancelling

Pam October 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

My hubby and I loved missing I am very dissapointed it is not being renewed. And they leave you hanging on the last episode of the season. What happens to Becca!!

Gil S. October 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Give the series a chance, my oldest daughter that lives about an hour away made it a point every week to show up and watch the MISSING! Don’t leave us hanging…Season 2 is a must!