Missing: ABC Series Cancelled; No Season Two

Missing on ABC canceled, no season 2Becca Winstone’s chase is over. ABC has cancelled Missing, their Thursday night TV series, after one season and 10 episodes.

Starring Ashley Judd, Missing follows a former CIA Agent turned single mom as she searches for her missing son in Europe. The action show also stars Adriano Giannini, Nick Eversman, Cliff Curtis, Tereza Voriskova, and Sean Bean.

Missing got off to a disappointing start on March 15th, registering a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.60 million viewers. It was in third place for the demo and second place in total viewership.

In week two, the numbers took a significant drop, to a 1.6 rating with 8.81 million. Over the next several weeks, Missing fell lower and lower. The most recent episode hit a new low with a 1.1 demo rating and 6.37 million total viewers.

How long should Missing have run?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Overall, Missing’s been averaging a 1.5 rating with 7.70 million viewers. If they had more episodes in the season, those averages would surely keep sinking lower.

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of TV shows on the network, Missing has a “D-” for a grade. Of the 22 scripted shows on the network this season, Missing ranks 21st — just above the already-cancelled Charlie’s Angels remake.

With low ratings and steep declines, it’s no wonder that ABC decided not to renew Missing for a second season.

The series finale airs next Thursday and will hopefully include enough closure to satisfy the viewers that stuck with it.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Missing has been cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t succeed? How long should have the show realistically lasted — one season, two, three or more?

{ 1948 comments… read them below or add one }

Rita September 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Too bad that Missing was cancelled. I’ve been looking forward to see the second season. Missing was not like most series on television. I thought that was one of the best mini series. Entertaining, full of mistery and action and not to mention very classy. ABC should have advertize the show more frequently just like the other network. And lastly ABC should have ask the public opinion regarding the show before making a decision of cancelling it.

Sandi September 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Too bad…always enjoyed it….sick of reality and stupid sit coms….Ashley Judd was great, and European setting made it that much more interesting! Maybe another network can pick it up….TNT, USA , come on…try it!

Anonymous September 25, 2012 at 7:12 pm

ya sure,just keep renewing the brainless reality shows that you wonder how or why they even continue,but,something that was so well acted,written,and kept you on the edge of your seats every week,gets cancelled. WHO’S GETTING THEIR PALMS GREASED NOW!!!!!!!!!!! OR OTHER PARTS!!!!!!!!!!

Jose September 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

wow this sucks, i love this show, i could not wait for it to start again… turns out its cancel. bring it back!

Sina September 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Why was it cancel???? one of the best action series, well written, action packed, soooooo disappointed with ABC i am going to boycot!!!!!!

Angeline September 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I agree with some of the other comments. This is one of the few shows I actually turned the TV on to watch. I am sick of all the pseudo-reality shows. I’m returning to books.

Kathy September 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I was looking forward two season 2 … disappointed it is being cancelled..

Kathy September 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I don’t think you gave this series a fair chance.. Ashley Judd and all the other members of the cast did an excellent job… It’s a pity you are cancelling this!!!

mary September 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

I am so shocked it was cancelled. Towards the end is when it got really good. I even thought the finale left the perfect ending to another season the way she disappeared and thecar crashed. Bring it back!!

deborah smith September 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

I am very suprised to see that the show was cancelled. I was so looking forward to season Two. I thought the cast was great, the writting was great as well as the action and supsense. My girlfriend and I would call each other when the show came on and watched to together via the phone. I love Ashley Judd.

Lisa September 25, 2012 at 7:57 am

I was sorry to see the show end. It didn’t get a fair shake. It was interesting and action packed. If the show had premiered in September like most shows then I think it would have done better.

S B September 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

This is a great show. Didn’t get a fair shot. Most people watch shows from the beginning of the season, on. Air it at the beginning of the season and you’ll see the momentum build. Too bad. Ashley Judd was GREAT. She worked hard. Great story line.

Sad & Disappointed September 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Upset to see that yet again a great made for television drama has been cancelled. I have had enough of the reality crap programming that is nightly!! Thank goodness for books!

Evelyn September 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Very upset that this show was cancelled….I so looked forward to seeing it again, did not see any previews of coming attractions…so I looked it up and low and behold found this website stating that it was cancelled….!!! There are not too many shows that are really good any more other than those reality shows and there are too many copy cats of those…this one was different and that it what I liked about it…wish that they would reconsider and bring it back….!!!

crystal furrow September 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

really wished this show wasn’t cancelled. We loved this show!!

elaine September 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Really enjoyed the show. Sorry it was cancelled. Good thriller.

Kathie September 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

This was one of the best shows on tv. Great cast, script and acting.
Guess ABC will add a reality show because
We don’t have enough of them. What happened
To the great shows?