Mistresses: New ABC Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Mistresses on ABC: cancel or keep?ABC has been airing a new drama on Monday nights which follows The BacheloretteMistresses. Has the show been a ratings success? Should it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Based on a British series of the same name, Mistresses revolves around the lives of four female friends and their complex relationships. The show features the talents of Alyssa Milano, Rochelle Aytes, Yunjin Kim, Jes Macallan, Jason George, Brett Tucker, and Erik Stocklin.

Mistresses debuted to a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.40 million total viewers. Even for a summer series, those numbers are soft and unimpressive.

In week two, the ratings actually rose in the all-important demo — to a 1.4 rating — but fell slightly in viewers. Could this be a sign of some positive word of mouth? If that’s what caused the boost, the additional interest was short-lived.

In week three, Mistresses fell back to a 1.2 in the demo and 3.76 million and last week’s dropped again, to a 1.1 in the demo with 3.57 million.

This is despite the fact that Mistresses’ lead-in — The Bachelorette — has been showing signs of growth. Last weeks’ episode of the reality series hit a season high while Mistresses hit a new low.

Unless Mistresses starts rising in the ratings, it’s almost certain that the series won’t be back for a second season. ABC can get the same or better ratings from showing reruns, reality shows, or Canadian imports like Rookie Blue.

So, what do you think? Do you like Mistresses? Do you think it should be renewed for a second season or cancelled instead? What would you do to attract better ratings?

Ana September 10, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I love this show, please don’t cancel.

Julie September 10, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My friends and I absolutely LOVE this show!!! Please do not cancel it!!! Please bring it back for more!!!

Peggy September 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Please donot cancel this show. This is by far the best show on ABC. Please keep an open mind and let us all have another season. Thank You!!!

Victoria September 10, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’m over the moon about this show. I don’t watch television because my children have taken over but when this series began I was all in!! ABC you crush your own ratings because you get people hype about a new show then it just vanishes and it taints viewers to feel like they are insignificant. I may not know much about ratings but 3.87 million viewers is nothing to sneeze at. These are people who take time from their life to tune into your creation…the least ABC could do is acknowledge that fact however minimal you feel it may be. Mistresses definitely a keeper!! RENEW RENEW RENEW

megan September 10, 2013 at 9:42 am

I am completely hooked on this show. They have to bring this back for a second season and I will be impatiently waiting for it to start again. Please don’t disappoint me yet again by not bringing backing this show that I am in love with!!!!!

LADYM September 10, 2013 at 4:51 am

Love this show, full of excitement. Can’t wait to see what happens on season 2. this show is a keeper

Anonymous September 10, 2013 at 3:07 am

I love the show hope its renewed if its not that’s not fair to the viewers the way it ended if its not I loved watching brothers and sisters and hated how it ended I think if that be the case they should at least film a few more eposoides and have a better ending

Blues girl September 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Love this show hate how it ended wanna see wat happens next KEEP IT!!!

Chris September 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

This is the best tv series that was aired this summer….if you cancel this show you will have to deal with a lot of angry women who love this show.I watch it every week and look forward to Monday nights.
I remember when DancingWith The Stars started out as a summer replacement and is now in its 17 season..case in point!!! DONT CANCEL RENEW RENEW RENEW!!!!!
I watched the finale episode tonight and am so upset that now Monday nights will be so boring …Iwas hoping that this was a “cliff hanger” and that it was coming back….advertise this series with previews and more exposure whatever media sources you have available.

Linda Douglas September 9, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I like it and have watched it every week but ABC will probably cancel it like a lot of other series they start. It has reached the point I am not going to start watching new shows because they don’t last anyway. I used to watch ABC almost exclusively. Now it is about 40%

Anonymous September 9, 2013 at 10:26 pm

The show is awesome. Keep it coming!

ttzz September 9, 2013 at 5:30 pm

definatley KEEP IT, RENEW IT

PAT September 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I love this programme.It is the ONLYprogramme on all of the channels that I make a point of watching EVERY WEEK.Give it a chance..DO NOT CANCEL THIS.ITS THE BEST PROGRAMME ON TV !!!!!

Megan August 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

PLEASE don’t cancel this show! It is so good! One of my favorite guilty pleasures. I am not available to watch at 9pm when it originally airs and have to catch it On Demand or on the ABC website. There could be million others like me and that’s why the ratings are lower than they should be?! I am afraid this show was already cancelled as it doesn’t seem like we even had a season finale!

Curious August 14, 2013 at 3:26 am

Could we at least know who the baby’s daddy is?????