Monday Mornings: TNT Show Cancelled, No Second Season

Monday Mornings canceled, no season twoIn addition to dropping Southland, TNT has also cancelled Monday Mornings. There won’t be a second season for the freshman medical drama.

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

That just wasn’t enough for TNT to want to order a second season and they’ve now officially cancelled it.

What do you think? Are you sorry that TNT has pulled the plug on Monday Mornings? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

KT May 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I certainly agree with comments of others! Monday Mornings was such an interesting series, well-written, good actors, different from most “formula” medical dramas.
People who weren’t aware of this program should watch some of the past episodes.
Would a mass appeal to TNT have any hope?!

chet May 15, 2013 at 12:04 am

come on give it a chance great show probably needed a different time slot

John May 14, 2013 at 11:17 pm

It figures! Stay with the trash, and trash the good….

wendyb May 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Sorry to hear MM was cancelled as it dealt with a very serious topic: challenges of medical field when patients die or are mishandled. I liked it because it was more realistic than the other med shows on tv, and also more sophisticated as it would have to be to take on a theme such as it did. TNT dropped my other favorite show, Southland, so I guess I will be defecting from that station. Here’s hoping TNT makes better choices in the future.

Gayle T May 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm

This was actually one of the best shows I had seen in a long time and I’m very picky about what I watch since I have limited TV viewing time, even with a DVR. It’s sad I won’t have this to look forward to! Since the end of this and Leverage, I guess there’s nothing on TNT worth watching! >(

Denise Smith May 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

I am so disappointed with the the decision to cancel this show. I mean I thought the networks were looking for versatility and this show gives you exactly that. I mean what other Medical Drama do they show how the Chief of Staff has a Monday morning meeting to address the mistakes as well as the outstanding jobs the staff perform. It just does not make any sense. I guess because it was not full of so much drama people just were not interested. It funny that the world is being driven by all this reality tv that they can’t recognize true talent. I still love you Ving and can’s wait to see you in something else real soon. You are a talented actor and so is the rest of the cast.
This show was refreshing and I’m sorry it has ended. :-(

Stacy May 14, 2013 at 12:51 am

Well to put it bluntly, that sucks. This show was by far one of the best ever written and acted out. Grey’s Anatomy just signed on for season 10, and it wasnt as good as this show. It was more realistic in the hospital setting, and in the acting. TNT is making a huge mistake.

CJ May 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Good show !!!!!! I guess you could replace it with 3 headed strippers reality, or another honey bobo. I am so tired of BAD TV !!!! I thought there was hope when I watched Monday Mornings. Of course now it is all Basketball. Glad I pay for ESPN.

Pam K. May 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I am really disappointed. My husband is a paramedic and is very critical of medical shows. This was as real as it gets.

Wonder if the ratings were skewed somehow.

Hope another channel picks it up and makes a killing.

Stephanie Doctor May 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I am EXTREMELY disappointed this show has been cancelled! It was a GREAT show!! Was looking forward to a second season. I hope another network picks it up. The writing was fantastic and the actors did an excellent job!

Addie Wearden May 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am extremely dissappointed that Monday Mornings has been cancelled. It was a good series with a good story and fine acting. The medical situations seemed to be factual and the personal stories of the characters did not overtake the show as has happened in so many other series. The creators stuck with the medical situations which were very interesting and the characters were very believable. We will miss the series. We wish it weren’t true but, alas, another series with substance is cancelled. Oh well, on to another mindless “sitcom” I would imagine.

PETER COVELL May 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

DISAPPOINTING NEWS. A REALLY GOOD PROGRAM WITH GOOD WRITING AND GOOD ACTING. REALLY TRASHY SHOWS HAVE MORE APPEAL, I GUESS.

Anonymous May 13, 2013 at 10:54 am

One of the best shows…..great characters, storylines and thought provoking dramas! Suppose if it were one of the mindless, numbnut shows it would have remained on!!! Canceling is a big mistake…thanks for nothing TNT!

steve May 13, 2013 at 8:24 am

Let`s cancel Monday Mornings and Southland and replace them two
more inane comedies. God forbid we should have shows to watch that have
great dialogue and excellent acting.

Darla May 13, 2013 at 7:34 am

Very, Very Disappointed that TNT is taking this off the air..It was a great series that I loved to watch..Very sad to read this. :(