Monday Mornings: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Monday Mornings cancel or renew?TNT recently wrapped the first season of Monday Mornings, their latest medical drama. Should it return for a second season or be cancelled instead?

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

Given these numbers, it seems highly unlikely that Monday Mornings will be back for a second season.

But what do you think? Would you like to see the show return for a second season or do you think it should be cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience? Was the title a problem? What would you have called it?

B. Wilson April 23, 2013 at 12:58 am

PLEASE, bring it back. I was devastated when I went to watch it after 5 weeks and it was GONE. I heard about it from my neighbor about the third week of the season and went back to On Demand to see the first ones. I have read countless medical books and watched ER and Grey’s Anatomy religiously. None of these can compare to Monday Mornings. I would suppose that the number of folks watching it is low is due to the title and that it is not on the most frequently watched channels. I would NEVER have guessed that Monday Mornings was a medical show, the BEST one at that!! The viewing audience knows about it only by word of mouth. Give it a medical name and watch the ratings increase. My favorite program on TV, BRING IT BACK ,PLEASE!!!! Just now getting all my friends to watch it and it is gone. If you change the name, let us know or we will be in the dark that it has come back.

Liz April 23, 2013 at 12:48 am

Monday Mornings is a big hit in our large household!
We look forward to it every week. We don’t watch that much t.v., but when we do Monday Mornings is one of the very few series as well as a top show we have on our list.
We think that this show was not publicized as other shows, perhaps that is a reason why the viewer rating was not as high as it could of been.

helene farb April 23, 2013 at 12:41 am

Please, Please,Please this show must continue. So look forward to watching each episode. It is far above the other medical shows. Scripts are intelligently written; right and wrong practices of the medical profession are exposed as they should be. It is a unique look inside everyday happenings of a hospital. Lessons are learned. The acting is surreal. The title of this show is it’s only downfall. This show airs @ 10:00 p.m. eastern time – not in the morning. Need to advertise previews in the t.v. guide, on t.v. stations as well as radio, have a write up in magazines,newspapers,and medical journals. Would also help to have actors @ actresses make appearances on major network talk shows as well as appearances across the nation to promote this amazing much needed show of substance.

Raquel April 23, 2013 at 12:40 am

My husband and I truly loved watching Monday Mornings. The show was absolutely awesome and I sincerely hope that you are not considering cancelling the show. First of all, I certainly don’t think you did enough to promote the show. My husband and I just so happened to stumble across it while watching something else. As a healthcare professional, I truly enjoy the realistic scenarios that you present, how you broach the problematic issues of real concern and how the characters react/respond to those issues. It has certainly been a refreshing change and presented a more viable option than watching a reality show that contributes to the “dumbing down” of American viewers.

germaine April 23, 2013 at 12:27 am

This is the GREATEST show. It needs a second chance with better publicity. I can’t believe the ratings. The story-line is always extremely good.

Monday Mornings seems to be an appropriate title for the show. Maybe a better explanation of what the Monday morning meetings entail in the opening would help some.

I just don’t get it.

MaryAnn April 23, 2013 at 12:19 am

Please renew “Monday Mornings”—it was my favorite show and looked forward every Monday night to watch it. It was so real and inspiring and interesting. The characters are unique and different in their own ways–a David E. Kelly specialty. Alfred Molina is superb in his role. Maybe if it showed on a more known channel it would attract more viewers. Speaking for myself I never before had viewed anything on TNT!!!!

janet April 23, 2013 at 12:13 am

Loved the show! Please renew this show!

Brian & Heather Beadley April 23, 2013 at 12:03 am

Please don’t cancel Monday Mornings! My husband & I looked forward to seeing it every week. Great cast of characters & wonderful story lines! It seems to have the perfect mix of drama with a light heartedness that makes it very entertaining to watch. Please give it another season!

Mary April 23, 2013 at 12:00 am

Monday Mornings is a great show. The character development has been good with great acting and good story lines. Keep it on for next season!!!

Fred April 22, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Time slot is a problem. Nbc and cbs have established shows here, but not at 9pm.

like the show and would like to see it return. This show will be a grower if given time.

Jim April 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I have been steadily promoting Monday Morning
TNT will reap profits and viewers by cross promoting
MONDAY MORNING more broadly. It’s quality, strong
narrative, good story telling TV that
We as a country need. Please give it a second
season.

Wendy April 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I am older than the demographic they measured but I loved it… one of my must see shows. I hope they renew it.

Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm

loved the show it was a mixture of ER and greys anatomy

Courtney April 22, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Monday Mornings was the reason I turned my tv on at all. I’m 19 and in college and this show was all I watched. I even stayed up for it, despite 8 am classes. I’m seriously considering giving up on tv if it cancels. :’(

Monty Hester April 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Best show on television–need to keep it going–