Monday Mornings: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Monday Mornings cancel or renew?TNT recently wrapped the first season of Monday Mornings, their latest medical drama. Should it return for a second season or be cancelled instead?

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

Given these numbers, it seems highly unlikely that Monday Mornings will be back for a second season.

But what do you think? Would you like to see the show return for a second season or do you think it should be cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience? Was the title a problem? What would you have called it?

K. Farber April 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

Best show ever! Please, please renew!

Nettea1229 April 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

I think that the title doesn’t spark interest, but neither did any of the ads. They weren’t anywhere as gripping as the show IS. I couldn’t wait for the next episode. The concept of what Monday mornings was about, also wasn’t clear until about episode 3. I love it, and I pray it comes back. It’s one of the best on t.v., right now.

Mark April 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

Given all the unbelievable garbage on the old networks (Splash! Really???????) Monday Mornings is incredibly good. If TNT doesn’t like it, I hope another cable channel will pick it up!

Carolyn April 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

My husband and I thought this show was great! We recommended it to a lot of friends but most never heard of it. Obviously the show needed more exposure and definitely another chance to be seen. Otherwise, the show is “dead” – inside joke for faithful viewers!

BobFV April 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

I think this is was best medical show on TV in some time, and it filled a nice void left by “House”. With an excellent cast and production values, I really enjoyed this intelligent show. It provided a critical self-analysis of the medical profession. I would love to see another season or two, but I am using the past tense because I don’t think the numbers are there for it to be renewed. I think it was too smart for the average primetime audience, and being on TNT did not help. It also could have used more promotion.

Ruth April 30, 2013 at 8:35 am

Fantastic show – definitely should return. Characters and story line are credible. Couldn’t wait for each show.

Janine April 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

Although my TV viewing is limited, I heard about “Monday Mornings” from my sister-in-law a few weeks ago and decided to view the 2 episodes currently available On Demand. I was hooked immediately and continued to check for additional episodes to no avail. I just came across this website to discover that the series is in limbo and more likely than not will be canceled due to poor viewer turnout. The average American simply does not have the wisdom to appreciate this masterpiece. Regarding medical dramas, the average American prefers poorly written sensationalized trashy junk such as “House,” and “Nurse Jackie.” “Monday Mornings” was exceptionally well written, entertaining, emotional, and accurate. The cast was superb. Following the conclusion of an episode, “Monday Mornings” made you pause for a few moments and reflect. This is indeed a rarity today for a weekly TV drama to have this effect.

Bridgid April 30, 2013 at 6:22 am

Loved the show! Hope it returns for season 2.

Lisa April 30, 2013 at 5:54 am

I LOVE this show! I am a married 45 yr old with 4 kids if that helps with your demographic info. I started reading the book before the show started and was eager to watch. I have seen every episode so far and love it! I really hope it stays on the air. One of the best dramas I’ve seen in a long time. It has made me laugh and made me cry…please don’t leave the viewers hanging!!!
Lisa

Dennis Coleman April 30, 2013 at 12:47 am

Best show I’ve seen in awhile captivating topic presented in a very realistic maner could very well exceed ER s record wit the right promotion

Harriet April 29, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Best new show on tv since Homeland. the acting is 10 stars oout of 5 and the performances are realistic and dramatic and fast moving. it is credible compared to most medical dramas. I hope this returns as it was the best of the season and needs to be promoted better and given a chance.

BEVERLY MYERS April 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I am in the 49+ catigory and will be greatly disapointed if Monday Morning does not return. It always seems when a good program comes out that apeals to us over 60′s it is removed.

sharon April 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm

this was a wonderful show I sure hope it comes back

Anonymous April 29, 2013 at 10:03 pm

BEST new show on TV… wasn’t promoted well so people didn’t even know it was there… I asked a couple friends if they had watched, I got blank stares…

Alicia April 29, 2013 at 9:36 pm

There are few shows to watch that are decent and have a purpose. We love the cast and the story line. Please give it another chance.