Monday Mornings: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Monday Mornings cancel or renew?TNT recently wrapped the first season of Monday Mornings, their latest medical drama. Should it return for a second season or be cancelled instead?

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

Given these numbers, it seems highly unlikely that Monday Mornings will be back for a second season.

But what do you think? Would you like to see the show return for a second season or do you think it should be cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience? Was the title a problem? What would you have called it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

734 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Chauntae says

I would love to see another season of Monday Morning. It is a wonderful show that shed a light into what surgeons go through. I work with several doctor’s and I have discussed this show with them and they verified that the show isn’t far off of what they went through. Please keep this show on the air. It is much better than those so called reality shows that are out there.

Chauntae

2. DON KRISCHANO says

I GOT TURNED ON TO THIS SHOW THROUGH A FRIEND, IT TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITES. RIGHT UP THERE WITH ” BURN NOTICE “

3. Mary Ecklund says

PS Instead of calling the show Monday Mornings, which seemed to confuse many, I suggest calling something else that refers to the meetings the staff had on Monday Mornings (& other times). I don’t know the words, but maybe something to do w/ethics/morals…. I don’t like the idea of giving the show a strictly medical name, because, to me, the show is about something greater than medicine. It is about holding a very high ethical standard. The show needs a name that reflects that, because not everyone likes medical shows. But I’m betting most everyone who watches this show will love it, if some network would just give it a chance & promote it properly.

4. Mary Ecklund says

Monday Mornings is the best series we have seen on tv in at least 10 years! I have been telling my family & friends about it (none of whom have ever heard of it) & now they are all waiting to watch it this fall. Please, please bring this show back! It was true quality television–something so rare these days. My husband & I both loved the show. Devoted fans like us will help get the show more viewers, if the network would just give the show a chance. I am convinced the show would have gone on to win many awards. Everything about this show was first class & the writing was some of the best I have ever seen on television. Every single show made me laugh, cry & THINK, as the show always questioned moral/ethical issues in such interesting ways. I would put Monday Mornings in a class w/MASH, Northern Exposure, Picket Fences… In fact, I’d say that Monday Mornings was better than any of those shows! I feel certain people would watch it & love it, if they just knew about it!

5. Joyce Naum says

This was the best show we watched this season. Finally a show with caring and sincere struggles in the hospital workplace!!!
    PLEASE bring it back!! If it was on a more popular station I think it would have had more watchers.

6. mimi says

I loved this show. There are just certain films that will catch people who like to think and feel – then you have the ones that get your attention with an explosion and french kiss in first five minutes. Sorry to see this one go. I didn’t miss the explosions but loved the honest people

7. Sister sue pitt says

I thought this was the absolute best show on Tv . It didn’t receive enough hype. I loved the humanity of all the actors.
    When I tell others about this show. They think it is on on Monday mornings.
    Please renew

8. linda says

please bring this show back! great information on hospitals and how it all works.
    cast, writers, actors and all that goes in it, very well put together.
    yes the title could have been more of a medical term wording. something like
    “the medical profession”.
    could be the some of the younger generations are more into action type of viewing,
    and of course grab the TV.
    I’m sure nurses as well our general viewers would like the insight of learning how the
    medical field works. hope it comes back!

9. kim says

renew for season 2 this was a great shop I loved it I love medical shows do not cancel that would be crazy

10. longshot says

This is the best show of the year .. and needs to return .. one of the best of seas.season. rates up there with Er on my book

11. m c says

This is the best show I have ever watched better than Trapper John St Elmo’s , Dr. Welby , Quincy , and the list goes on, America needs to see season one on regular T.V. to get a better understanding of Medicine and this show does it, this is better than House . Everybody is accountable and this show expresses that . The cast , producers writer , creators hit it right on the head with this show. If you get rid of this show we are left with crap like Grey anatomy and other stuff I can’t stand to watch.

12. Roslyn H Loveland says

Monday Mornings was one of the BEST shows on TV recently. However it was not promoted but everyone I told about it watched it religiously and loved it. I found it by accident and never missed an episode. PLEASE bring it back and give it some publicity. You can’t expect a show to gain a following if it is not promoted!!!
    Perhaps the title could be improved as it was not perceived to be a medical drama by the title.

13. rose says

Why?. This was the best show. I loved this series. People in my age bracket have nothing to look at anymore. It’s very sad. I’m over the 49 yr group, but, I have money. So why aren’t I counted?.

14. Tomek says

Hey there, I’m from Germany and I am so disapointed about the fact that there’s no 2nd season or even more.
    This is by far one of the best series, sad, funny and very serious at the same time.
    I like the mix of new and known actors and the Meeting was something new and really exciting every time!
    Please Please Please, bring it back!