Monday Mornings: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Monday Mornings cancel or renew?TNT recently wrapped the first season of Monday Mornings, their latest medical drama. Should it return for a second season or be cancelled instead?

Monday Mornings follows the lives of the talented yet flawed doctors at the Chelsea General Hospital in Portland, Oregon. The title refers to the tough peer review meetings that are run by the hospital’s sarcastic Chief of Staff. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber, Jennifer Finnigan, Bill Irwin, Keong Sim, Sarayu Rao, Emily Swallow, and Alfred Molina.

The show started off the season with just 1.36 million viewers and a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was less than half of what the Dallas premiere lead-in drew with 2.98 million and a 0.8 demo rating.

The numbers for Monday Mornings didn’t get much better as the weeks wore on. The season ended up averaging just 1.39 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo.

Given these numbers, it seems highly unlikely that Monday Mornings will be back for a second season.

But what do you think? Would you like to see the show return for a second season or do you think it should be cancelled? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience? Was the title a problem? What would you have called it?

Holly E April 17, 2013 at 9:22 am

This is one of the best medical dramas to come along in a very long time. I don’t know if it’s the time slot – Monday at 10 pm or the lack of being on one of the big 3 networks; or maybe it’s just too intellectual for most of today’s viewers. But it is truly a wonderfully written, acted and produced program that deserves another chance.

Kd April 17, 2013 at 5:13 am

Monday Mornings is great. It would help if it was not bumped for sports programming. It is difficult to follow a program that gets bumped with an irregular schedule. Unfortunately the only way to keep up is to record when it IS on for viewing. Networks need to get a better method of counting views rather than “selected households”. There is no way they can accurately get counts from an estimate!

Keep Monday Mornings, please.

Howard Raymond April 17, 2013 at 2:52 am

Monday Mornings is a thought-provoking, literate, intelligent and surprisingly entertaining show, despite the subject matter. All involved must be applauded for the professional work they do. Another winner for David Kelley, who seems to appreciate the “Over 49 Demographic”. Eagerly awaiting the next season, or the First Season DVD, whichever comes first.

Joni April 17, 2013 at 1:27 am

This is one of the best shows on TV today. The writing is brilliant. the actors are great.
My husband is a physician and does not watch medical shows on television but loves this show!!! I found out about it through word of mouth. I think that it needs to be publicized a lot more for its second season before judging it.

Debby Modis April 17, 2013 at 1:12 am

Please, please, Bring back this show!!! It is an amazing show and actually is very close to true to life medical scenes including actual true medical terms and things that can actually happen in hospitals. I know because I type for hospitals. Please do not cancel this show. !!!!!!!!

Robert Crist April 17, 2013 at 1:02 am

Monday Mornings is one of the best medical shows I have ever watched. I am very hopeful that there will be Season Two!

June April 17, 2013 at 12:16 am

I loved this show and hope returns! The characters are great!

Celeste April 16, 2013 at 11:51 pm

This show is brilliant! Well-written, superbly acted, great character development, – a winner! Pleeeease bring it back! – DVDs of this first season, too!

Rosemarie G Cola April 16, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I would really love to see this show come back. It’s the only medical drama I have ever been interested in. The characters are wonderfully portrayed by it’s talented cast and the production values are top notch. I understand ratings are top priority when it comes to keeping shows on, but I think this one should be given another chance to find it’s audience. Maybe a change of time slot or day would make the difference. Not every hit show was a hit in it’s first season. Give Monday Mornings another shot. If it still doesn’t get the ratings it needs to be profitable, then I would understand. Thank you.

Altin April 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I am a web developer from Albania (living in MA) and this is one of my favorite shows …actually the only one that got me hooked to it and making me look forward to Monday evenings. It must be renewed. I found it excellent and very educative for people of other fields (at least for myself).

Larry Mug April 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I am almost 50 years old, and I really enjoyed it. I hope it returns, and believe it could have been better only if it were toned more toward family friendly…

trish April 16, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Love this series. Well written and characters true to david kelley’s style. Hope it is given another chance

Aimee April 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Please bring it back !!!!! This is one show I can say is good medical show….after E.R. went off air I was upset it was my favorite never missed an episode. Then a few years later Monday Mornings came out I was iffy to even watch in fear I would like and it would not return like a lot of shows do. Hollywood needs to get a clue .. I know not everyone likes the same type show but enough reality these shows give us a break from that. PLEASE GIVE THIS SHOW ANOTHER CHANCE !!!!

chuckey April 16, 2013 at 9:53 pm

well, i could take eric’s note and flip it. i’ve NEVER been a fan of Ving Rhames or Alfred Molina; i watched the show in spite of them, as i enjoy medical dramas. so now i’m hoping it’s renewed. furthermore, of the new fall shows from last year, i’m a fan of fewer than 5, counting this one.
it’s well-written and scripted; medical scenes are portrayed genuinely; and the character development is unbelievably exquisite.
definitely keep it! not do, dead (inside joke; watch it to find out, but that is the epitome of typical rich, individual stories.

Sheila Williams April 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Bring back Monday Mornings!!!! Awesome show!!!

Janice Crist April 17, 2013 at 12:57 am

We will be so disappointed if this show is cancelled! PLEASE renew for a second season!!!