Monk: USA TV Show to End After Eight Years, No Season Nine

MonkGood news and bad news for fans of USA’s Monk TV show. The network has renewed it for an eight season but has also announced that there won’t be a ninth year of dysfunctional sleuthing.

Monk tells the tale of Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub), a brilliant San Francisco detective who, after the death of his wife in a car bombing, has a nervous breakdown. After being a recluse for three years, Monk returns to the force, barely able to control his obsessive-compulsive disorder. Monk’s many phobias make it difficult for him to function but, because he’s hyper-aware of the world around him, he’s an incredibly observant sleuth.

Though they’re often irritated by his disorder, Captain Leland Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) and Lieutenant Randall “Randy” Disher (Jason Gray-Stanford) utilize Monk’s abilities when cases get tough. Monk is helped by assistant Sharona Fleming (Bitty Schram) and later by Natalie Teeger (Traylor Howard).

The TV show debuted on July 12, 2002 on the USA network. The show began as a modest success and grew its audience to an average of 6.1 million viewers in season six. This year’s episodes have been averaging five million viewers, 40% of which are from the desirable 18-49 demographic. The numbers are even more impressive when you consider that the series airs on Friday nights, a little-watched night of television.

Should Monk be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

USA has renewed the series for an eighth season of 16 episodes but those will end the series. With the show’s viewership still growing, why finish it now? The decision to end the series is said to be a mutual one between all parties involved. Though they maintain that they want to end Monk while the show is still on top creatively, the reason for the cancellation comes down to dollars and cents. As the seasons have progressed, production costs have increased and the network likely finds it hard to justify episodes’ high pricetags.

USA’s Executive VP of Original Programming, Jeff Wachtel, assures that viewers won’t be disappointed by the final episodes. In a statement, he said, “Our fans have been extremely dedicated, and season eight should prove to be a very satisfying reward.” It’s rumored that the final episodes will bring the character full circle, centering around the killer of Monk’s beloved wife.

A special holiday episode of Monk is slated for November 28th and season seven episodes will continue in January 2009. Monk’s last 16 episodes are scheduled to begin airing sometime next summer. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

361 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I have to say that I really miss the show Monk. I still catch reruns on ION tv. But gesh this is like a long lost friend that I really miss. Monk was one of those shows that was laid back but at the same time very entertaining. From Monk they have started Psych which I also love, and one can’t help but think the Mentalist and the new series Elementary are all because Monk was such a success. And I have to agree that many people didn’t know about the show. But once you watched a few your would be hooked. It just wasn’t marketed well and ran under the rador.

Would management please start doing a few Monk movies. Kind of like how they do the Jessie Stone movies. It would be nice to see Monk come back every now and then.

I also hear USA is ending Burn Notice. Cmon folks stop canceling your best shows.

2. says

I’ve been watching this series over the years and enjoyed it immensely. It’s one of those shows that most people haven’t seen… basically an undiscovered gem. But to those who’ve seen it, it quickly becomes a favorite. Call it a victim of poor marketing and a bad time slot. In any case, those who were fans of this show were adamant and even zealous fans. It is those die hard fans who kept it on the air for a LOT longer than most series.

I must say that if a series has to end, THIS SERIES DID IT RIGHT! So many series do NOT.

The finale was excellent. Well written, and as always… superb acting by all. The writers tied up the plot nicely with the discovery and final disposition of Trudy Monk’s killer. They likewise left us with a sense of a much happier and less neurotic Adrian Monk. The revelation of a pseudo-daughter figure (Molly, the undiscovered daughter of Trudy Monk) was a heart-wrenching means by which we saw Mr. Monk truly able to show love again and to find the means to heal himself. As an adult male, I’m not one to shed tears very often, but the scene where he meets her had my eyes welling.

3. Anyssa says

why would anyone possibly consider canceling this show! i love this show and as anyone can see by all of these comments many other people do to!

4. Anyssa says

I am 12 years old and monk is my favorite show! its really one of the few shows i like! i really don’t want it to end ;(

5. Danielle says

What a horrible show to cancel. It was definitely my favorite. Although the show is done, rumors are going around about a “Monk movie”.

6. kelis says

please bring back monk i am only 11 and i only know just started watching the program and i really love it so can u bring back monk pretty please with a cherry on top of lods of ice cream plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz
    x

7. corina says

Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!Bring Monk back please!

8. wendy langga says

hi, i am a great fan of “monk” and would dearly like to see season 9 being produced! it is a great tv series and i think it has millions of fans all over the world. the producer should real consider bringing it back! by the way iam from malaysia and i personally love the show very much! and even got my husband addicted to it!
    I love tony and he is such a great actor! never bored with the show, always very interesting and i could never get enough of it!
    Please bring it back.

9. Robert Stokes Jr. says

Please bring MONK back it’s the greatest show on TV and everyone watch it so the show would never go under I am asking and hoping that yawl do reconsider and bring the show back PLEASE!!! (Tony Shalhoub) is my top best fsvorite actor of all times the people of HOUSTON TX. would very be greatful

10. Jorge Alvarez says

Hello my name is Jorge Alvarez I am a 15 year old teen, I love the show monk it’s a great show I think the only thing I hate is there was episode ( Mr. Monk Falls In Love ) that showed a dead person in the cab you could of clearly see him breathing and that wasn’t the only time u have notice that happen so if y’all do make a new episode pls fix that I am a great fan and it crushes my heart when I notice that again thank you for reading please e-mail me it would be a honer to speak to the creators of Mr. Monk

11. Kalab says

Bring Monk back please! Everyone clearly loved the show and you would make great profit because everyone would watch it.

Please consider this!