Monk

MonkNetwork: USA
Episodes: 125 (hour)
Seasons: Eight

TV show dates: July 12, 2002 — December 4, 2009
Series status: Cancelled/ended

Performers include: Tony Shalhoub, Jason Gray-Stanford, Ted Levine, Traylor Howard, Stanley Kamel, Bitty Schram, Emmy Clarke, Kane Ritchotte, and Hector Elizondo.

monk past TV show

TV show description:
When the wife of Adrian Monk (Tony Schallub) was killed by a car bomb, he suffered a nervous breakdown and was relieved of his police force duties. Unable to leave his house for three years, he meets nurse Sharona Fleming (Bitty Schram) who gives him the strength to return to the outside world.

He persuades Captain Leland Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) to let him rejoin the San Francisco Police Department as a consultant for the homicide unit. Unfortunately, his obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and anxiety make it difficult for him and those around him when investigating a case, especially for the Captain and Lieutenant Randall “Randy” Disher (Jason Gary-Stanford), who refers to Monk as the “defective detective.”

On the positive side, Monk’s OCD and many phobias key him in so intensely to his surroundings that it also aids him in solving cases. Dr. Kroger (Stanley Kamel) helps Monk cope with his phobias so that someday he’ll be able to return to the department full-time. Later on, Dr. Neven Bell (Hector Elizondo) helps the detective.

When Monk’s nurse and assistant Sharona moves to New Jersey, he meets single mom Natalie Teeger (Traylor Howard) while investigating a burglary in her home. He asks her to become his new assistant. Natalie and daughter Julie (Emmy Clarke) become Monk’s family as he deals with the loss of his wife and works toward solving the case of her murder.

Series Finale:
Episode 125 — Mr. Monk and the Endy, part II
Monk, who has been poisoned, finally solves the murder case of his beloved wife, Trudy. Here’s a detailed account of what happened.
First aired: December 4, 2009.

What happened next?
A movie may happen at some point but there aren’t any concrete plans yet.

Canceled and renewed TV show

20 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I saw the advertisement years ago when Monk first started. Both my father and father-in-law were police officers. My dad loved Hawaii Five-O and Monk(he did not like many police shows). My father-in-law was killed in the line of duty in a high speed chase 140+ MPH in a 1967 Plymouth Grand Fury Hemi police package (HP). Two officers were killed that day, Ben Gerhardt first of being shot by the guy who later Bobby Lee
    James was chasing. I thoroughly enjoyed the show over the years and the CHARACTER
    Monk played reminded me of a cross between the brilliance of Columbo and the traits of Felix Unger of the Odd Couple.
    Most of all was the background of Tony Shalhoub- he looked Jewish, but I couldn’t quite put my finger of it. He is of Lebanese and parents escaped persecution and relocated to America-Detroit Michigan. I looked forward to seeing Tony Shalhoub’s name again whether as an actor, director, executive producer, or having his own Production Company, if he doesn’t have one already.
    Just think, from Wings, Men in Black, 13 Ghosts to Monk-quite a journey.
    Thanks and for your family, Welcome to America(Neil Diamond’s song:
    Coming to America).

2. Where is Good TV? says

Unfortunately, when MONK appears to have switched writers, they ruined the show. The Mafia one is the first show in a long time to reflect the original MONK shtick which was genuinely refreshing for once. When will show producers understand that when they change the way that shows are written, they ruin far too many shows. Why fix what is not broken?

3. Rabbit says

I predict the world will now end in 2010 without Monk not in 2012 as the Mayans predicted.

Looks like the beginning of the end for the USA network, first show to put USA on the map is now going – well say goodbye to USA doom is upon you!

4. charlie says

Can’t wait to see Monk again. I have watched the reruns over and over again and is the best thing on TV. please leave Monk on the air.

5. karen(Maryland) says

Please Tony, stay and do not leave all of your fans. This show is the best and love all the characters. I look forward to each season and watch all episodes, past and present. What will we do without our Monk?

6. KEEP MONK says

Why…why…WHY??? I love MONK and so do countless others. This is one of the best show on tv…in fact it’s probably one of the best shows EVER!!! KEEP MONK!!!

7. Nicola says

I love Monk. I never thought twice about some of the things that cause dieases. I’m more aware of dirty places because of him. Please keep him.Stay until season 10. (Nice even #)

8. Marie says

Wow! Here I am leaving an entry for Eli Stone and I see that now Monk is on the chopping block! What the heck is wrong with these networks? It’s easy to figure out that after 8 years of a show being on the air you’ve got a good thing going. Look how long MASH was on before the series end. If it is Tony that doesn’t want to continue the show, I plead with you to stay on. There is so little good television on the air these days that shows like Monk are a breath of fresh air. If it’s about money…USA cough it up, you won’t be sorry with the loyal following Monk has.

If the networks keep taking all the good stuff off the air I might as well cancel cable and save myself $62 a month. It’s just not worth it anymore!

9. Marci says

Monk is my favorite show! I do not watch televison except for Monk and Psych! I wait patiently for 6 months to finish the seasons each year! Most of the popular long running series last for 10 years before all the actors and producers etc decide to end on a high note! I thought we AT LEAST had 2 more years of MONK! I am SO MAD! If we all email USA, we have a year, maybe we can get them to change their mind!

10. Michael says

Monk and Tony should not walk away from the series until its 10th season. That’s only logical … or 200 episodes whichever comes first…..

11. Norma Newton says

Please don’t take ” Monk ” off. That is one of the best shows on t.v. ever.. There’s no cussing not like you hear on the reality shows they have today. It’s one of the good shows that my whole family can sit down and watch together.. So, please leave it on