Moonlight: CBS Cancels Vampire Drama, No Season Two

MoonlightThough things were looking good for a second season of CBS’ vampire show, Moonlight has been cancelled. The show has loyal followers, the ratings were decent, and the series often won its timeslot. What happened?

Essentially Moonlight has been cut for a number of reasons. The rest of the network’s schedule is quite strong in the ratings and it certainly makes no sense to cancel one of the stronger series. If Moonlight were on the ratings-challenged CW, it certainly would have been renewed.

Like Jericho last season, Moonlight has a devout but small audience. Unfortunately, CBS’ decision to resurrect Jericho didn’t work out so well for them. Though many campaigned to get Jericho renewed, fewer people tuned in. CBS likely feels a bit burned by that experience and is reluctant to go down that road again.

The cancellation also stems from the fact that CBS is feeling very confident about their new batch of drama pilots. They’ve given a greenlight for four new dramas this fall and there just wasn’t any room left on the schedule for Moonlight. They know that Moonlight’s audience is unlikely to grow very much and would rather take a chance on a new show.

There’s been much upheaval behind-the-scenes and it’s been reported that the network hasn’t been impressed with the show’s creative development. The ratings were also usually lower than both its lead-in (Ghost Whisperer) and lead-out (Numb3rs).

CBS has given the okay for another season of The Unit. With the network’s full schedule, the drama will likely end up being bumped from Tuesdays and end up on Fridays in Moonlight’s old slot.

Moonlight’s series finale is set to air this Friday, May 16th. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

615 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. James says

The ********!!! They can’t end the series making everyone think there’s gonna be a second season. There has to be some way to make them re-air it.

2. karoline says

I find it so sad that there is no more episodes to watch. I found this show three days ago, and havnt been able to do anything but watch it since. Please bring Mick St.John back.

3. jessica says

i just found this series yesterday and i love it. i want there to be a season 2 please. i want to know what happens with mick and everything. I also want to see what they will do next with the list of vampires. i love this show. i can thinks of a dozen thinks that might happen next so all you have to do is make it. there is so many people who want it to continue. who wouldnt? just bacause some people dont want it doesnt mean you sould get rid of the show. what would happen to the people who whan to know what happens next? you should really rethink about the show. start making it again. i would watch it. write a comment if you agree. maybe all toghter we can get them to make the show again. hears hoping.

4. says

I just discovered this wonderful very interesting series three days ago,and because it aroused my interest and i really enjoy everything in this series.I am soo desperate for the season two…then i found out the show has been cancelled. Everything that involve in this series are very admiring and the concepts are remarkable,the writer,the story line,the characters are all VERY VERY GOOD!!! I WOULD SAY EXCELLENT..
    i am very hopeful…that there will season two.

5. Josh says

Ill admit, I didn’t know that it came out in ’07 or I would have watched it then, but once I saw one episode, I made sure to record it with DVR so I could catch them all. The main characters just started getting close and he confesses his love for her and then that’s it. There are still unanswered questions that need answers and its just not cool to stop mid way and just expect viewers to let it go. Bring it back. Just don’t try adding other mythical creatures like true blood. That show sucked.

6. sam says

honestly, this is sooooo messed. This is one the most impressive show I have ever seen!! Alex is an amazing actor and no one tops him. He is magnificent at his acting and he keeps me completely entertained. I hope that soon Season two, three, four, five etc. can continue………… this show is tooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. yossi cohen says

me and my friends in israel had this series on axn back in 2007
    but no one knew about it cos it didnt come as a big hip (like stupid shows does)
    but i gave the series to my friends and they say its one of the best series ever made and that it cant be that there is no season 2
    you gotta “reair” the first season and continue it with more seasons(if u gonna add more species its fine but restrict it to old fashion style like underworld does not like true blood)
    so please alot of peaople these days would like something refreshing in this genre

8. Lauren Taylor says

It’s just a shame that the popularity for it hit so late… had I known it existed 3 years ago, I would have been tuned in every single night it aired.

Beautiful series…

This is why I refuse to watch any new series. Get into a storyline to discover it’s canceled because there aren’t enough fans conforming to the trendy crap. Such a shame!

9. coralie says

thats not right because there is all others shows are more blood and lots of killing but they keep that going thats not right i think it should come on again because in the end we new there was secon season coming you just tell but this has to come on i think everyone who watch’s it they will want it back on because its soo good and its not all killing ang drinking well yea a bit but still other vampire show they are rated MA15+ but i really like it because its like ncis ir law and order stuff like that make it soo good and better then other shows so bring back secon season please just watch the others vampire shows and then you will see witch one is more violence or killing or drinking and more stuff i really love this show so CBS read this and see for you self please thank for reading xx